+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: recovery with active pets  (Read 7319 times)

manypaths

recovery with active pets
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »
Hi,
I am completely new to this site, but so glad I found it. I am 60 years old and trying to face the fact that I will probably have to have this surgery after the winter is over, if I want to be able to take my dog  for nice long walks, work in the garden, or take trips to the city.

I am very afraid to have the surgery and also concerned about how I will be able to manage my dog. I also have two cats, but don't think taking care of them will be a problem. I figure I can board my dog for 2-3 weeks, but would want her home after that (for moral support!).  However, I think I read that some folks weren't able to walk their dogs for many weeks after surgery? I would love to hear stories for those of you who are single, have pets and had the surgery.  Thanks.

hernanu

Re: recovery with active pets
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site!  I don't have my pets with me (lost them to the divorce), but I am single and can address that for you. I know quite a few of our hippies have active pets, and they can definitely clue you in on what they did.

The first couple of weeks are when you are the most debilitated, where you are able to mostly just take care of yourself. By the third week, I was walking with one crutch, and actually (stupid move) went out with one crutch and a shovel to dig out my car from a blizzard before it became iced in.

At the end of three weeks, I was able to drive and started to rely less on the crutch. By the fourth week, I was starting to walk without a lot of support, at the fifth week I was back to work, walking (carefully) without crutches, with a cane in the back of my trunk just in case.

I don't know what breed you have, size, etc. I think I could have walked my pomeranian by the fourth week without a lot of problems, but a bigger breed may be more of an issue.

I had both hips done, and this was true of both times. Hope that helps.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
welcome to the site. i think there are a number of factors that are involved and there is not going to be one universal answer.

i have a fairly well behaved 70 lbs australian shepherd and live on a fairly quite, dead-end street. my doctor wanted me on two crutches for the first 3 weeks. during these 3 weeks, i did not walk my dog by myself (i did go for a few laps around the house with my dog off the leash). after 3 weeks, my doctor said one cane or crutch. i elected to use a cane. so ... i felt i was able to safely walk my dog at 3 weeks with a cane.

my dog was by my side the day i got back from the hospital and that is the way i would always want it.

i wish you the best luck with your surgery and your dog plan!! where do you live .. maybe i can take care of your dog for you?
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
Hi Welcome to Hip Talk

I worked in dog rescue for quite a few years.  We had 14 dogs at the time I had my surgery. We have a fenced in yard, but I wanted to make sure they would not jump on me.  It is surprising that animals realize when you have problems. The crutches also tip them off and you are walking more slowly and different.  I did not have any problems with dogs jumping on me. 

I think you would want your dog with you while you recover.  Why don't you try to find someone in your neighborhood to walk the dog for you  for the first week or so.  After a couple weeks, you should be able to walk the dog yourself if it doesn't pull.  When you get down to one crutch or cane, then there should be no problems.  If you start now, I bet you can find someone to help you walk the dog.  You could also get a long plastic coated metal plastic wire and let the dog roam around you yard for a few weeks.  Find something to connect it to and that way the dog can get out without you having to walk her/him.  Think about some solutions now and you will be ready for your surgery.

A lot depends on your recovery.  I was only on one crutch for 3 weeks, so I could have walked a dog.  I was walking a mile a day by the time I came back from Belgium 9 days after surgery.  We all heal at different rates.

You can watch the papers, ask the local churches, ask the neighbors and ask your friends for help.  I bet if you work at it, you will find someone to give you some help.  Don't be shy. You won't need help very long if you are like most people.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

manypaths

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
Oh my gosh! I can't believe what positive responses I've received! Makes me want to smile and cry at the same time. I live in a rural area of Maine (okay, that's fairly redundant) and have a 3 -yr. old Belgian Sheepdog. I have a fenced yard for her, so she is used to me just opening the door and letting her out.

And you are all so right--if I could have her with me as soon as I get home it would make all the difference because she is such a sweet dog. I think the woman who would feed my cats would be walk my dog too.

Thank you! And if anyone else cares to chime in, I'd love to hear your stories.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »
Welcome to the community!

I was able to feed and let out (fenced yard) my dogs from 1st day home (3 days after surgery).  They were incredibly helpful with morale, and they would jump up on the bed when I did my laying down exercises.  Although I do not live alone, my wife works and is gone for extended periods, and they were great to have around.  Made a huge difference.

Hope it helps.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »
Belgium sheepdogs are very smart.  They used them during WWII   I use to know someone that taught obedience that also had trained them during WWII  in the army.

I know in my heart your dog would understand if it could not go for a walk for a few weeks.  As long as it can get out in the yard, it will be happy to be your best bud during your recovery.  I think you are worrying about something that will not be a problem.  At 3 you can hope he/she has lost a bit of their puppyhood.  Don't forget you could sit in the yard and throw a ball or something for them to retrieve.  That will give them exercise.  If they don't know how to retrieve a ball - now is the time to teach them.  That is what I did for my border collie.  She would chase the ball for hours if my arm held out.

Good Luck.  Be glad you have such a great 4 legged friend.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Two4One

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:40:06 PM »
Hi ManyPaths and Welcome,

I walked my Bichon Frise' 22 days after my bilateral resurfacing, and I walked him sans cane or walker for a 1/2 mile.  You can definitely be walking your beautiful dog by 3 weeks, sooner if you only have one hip done!  Hiring a trusted person to walk your fur baby will also keep you both calm!

Your buddy will be thrilled to help you through recovery!
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat