+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post-op weight gain or loss?  (Read 2199 times)

lynne123

Post-op weight gain or loss?
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
I've heard it said that after surgery the body requires many more calories for the body to heal, that if I don't increase my eating any I can actually expect to lose weight.   What was your post-op weight gain or loss experience?

Thanks
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
upcoming 1/21/12 Dr. Su HSS
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Luanna

Re: Post-op weight gain or loss?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »
I ate like a little piggy (still am) and have lost 3 pounds. Don't want to lose weight because when you lose weight you lose bone...or so I've read. So, in my early recovery I did not try to control calories but tried to eat very healthy foods.

At 4 months post op - I'm starting to notice that my jeans are feeling a bit tight. Might be time to get on the scale and see if my body weight is starting to increase...sigh...or stay off the scales and just enjoy getting fat and sassy!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
I lost a lot of weight the first few days after surgery!   ;D

I lost weight for probably five weeks.  In total about four pounds.  Then over the holiday I gained about seven.  Now that is slowly coming off.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
I have been eating like my 18 year old son since the day of surgery and haven't gained a pound. I think my body using massive amounts of energy to heal. I was 5'9" and 159 pounds the day of surgery. Five weeks later after increasing my food intake dramatically, I am the same weight.

Eatting is good!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:21 AM »
Same here, I am done about 4.5 pounds since surgery a little over 5 weeks ago. 
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
I've stayed the same fat weight:-) I've reduced calories now but I'm eating real clean with lots of nutrients. I ideally Want to drop 40 pounds!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
I've gained about 4 pounds since the LBHR in October, so after you add the weight of the device (told it was 1.2 lbs) and the holiday eating, I'm doing pretty well.  I was not overly hungry after, and ate healthy and small meals, and felt good that way.  I did have this odd red meat craving for at least 2 weeks (maybe weeks 3 and 4) that I was able to squelch with a nice prime burger.

My mother in laws annual "shock and awe", x-mas cookie blast (completely irresistible) has to be at least half of what I gained, but if I'm going to stray, a good way to go.

I lost 25+ lbs prior to the surgery and have managed to mostly keep it off, and both hips have appreciated that a lot.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Jake4OClock

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
I've gained about 4 pounds since the LBHR in October, so after you add the weight of the device (told it was 1.2 lbs) and the holiday eating, I'm doing pretty well.  I was not overly hungry after, and ate healthy and small meals, and felt good that way.  I did have this odd red meat craving for at least 2 weeks (maybe weeks 3 and 4) that I was able to squelch with a nice prime burger.

My mother in laws annual "shock and awe", x-mas cookie blast (completely irresistible) has to be at least half of what I gained, but if I'm going to stray, a good way to go.

I lost 25+ lbs prior to the surgery and have managed to mostly keep it off, and both hips have appreciated that a lot.

Dan
Dan,  Congratulations on a successful BHR, and having lost 25 + lbs.  To all who have had a BHR, I would say ... get as thin as possible.  Less wear and tear on the hip.
Jake

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
I was actually worried that I would put on weight following surgery due to calorie consumption and precious little activity, however I believe I may have lost a little amount or at least stayed the same.

I've been concious of eating 3 square meals a day and drinking plenty of water, but when friends pop around with chocolates, it's rude to say no  ;)
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Mr.Box

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »
I'm hoping the PT will help my weight loss goals. I've always been big, 6'2" and generally over 250lbs most of my adult life. I've been very athletic until my hips really started interfering with playing hockey at points almost daily. I've always floated between 250-260 most of the time, but since hanging up the skates temporarily,  I've bumped up to 265, I even hit 280 at one point. I really adjusted my diet to get back down to where I am now but I've found a comfortable balance.

I'm sure the physical activity will spur me to get back to my old weight, but I've been told that less weight = more life span with the BHR devices. My frame isn't built to be sub 200, but I'd love to be super skinny at 215. ( I think I last was there around uh.. 8th grade lol )

P.S. Nobody except my wife knows really how much I weigh. I never get more than 225-230 from anyone guessing. I've even made it a habit fooling those carnie folks at weight guessing.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
I lost because I could not get up and to 7-eleven to buy some MoonPies and Chips.  After that I started training. Now that I am done guess where I'm headed?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Re: when did your pain/discomfort completely go away by demens13
April 29, 2024, 12:12:52 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal