+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: rambunctious?  (Read 3229 times)

Two4One

rambunctious?
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
You know how when you're starting to finally throw off your shackles of pain and suffering that have accompanied it for so long, how finally your control of your own body is coming back to you again, and how you want to rampage through Tokyo, Godzilla style, because now you CAN?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7gFlSGXt_k  Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult

Being a raging extrovert and also a being with calm & easy undertones that are not always readily apparent to the casual observer, I understand my energy is different than some.  People have always told me to "Relax" when I'm happy or excited, or when I'm basically just breathing and living my life.

What are your bull in a china shop experiences and stories as we collectively do a header, sand flying up in the air, and come sliding into home base 'Safe!', just a hair below the catcher's mitt?  How has your exuberance informed your life post op?

Or are you the more contemplative, laid back type in your handling of your post op return to life?  Do people tell you "You're so quiet. What's going on with you?"  What stories or experiences do you have flying under the radar celebrating the return of control post op?

My intention for my post is to ask about styles, whether rowdy or more introverted, of expressing the sheer joy and rambunctiousness of what it's like recovering from hip resurfacing to other people.  I especially am asking those who'd been fully disabled similar to me if you are/were feeling like tearing up the town?  (In my case I'd been confined to my bed for over 2 years pre op.)  With non Hippies, Are you rowdy, expressive, or do you say little on the subject of your recovery?

2fer
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:14:06 PM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Aerial

Re: rambunctious?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
Not sure this is what you are asking but I feel like I got my confidence and "zest" back.  When in pain, it is hard to navigate daily work and your response to people.  This seems much easier now.  I feel quietly hopeful which changes ones outlook.  In yoga terms, my inner light is brighter and because of this my presence in the world is too.  I am thankful and pray it continues throughout the rest of my recovery. 
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
I was nowhere near your level of disability, but I definitely am feeling incredibly energetic as this continues to get better.  At various points during the on-crutches phase I was thrilled just to get in the car and go somewhere-- anywhere-- much like my 4-legged friends when on a trip to the park.  A one-crutched backyard canine cleanup on a sunny fall day was oddly enjoyable.

Now 14 weeks after I feel like I could do many things I could not do before.  I find myself smiling when I walk.  I bend the ear of anyone who will listen about the positive change.  I spend time here trying to let it out.  People here really, really understand, so I babble here about this, sometimes coherently.

After you being bedridden for 2 years, it would make perfect sense to tear the town up, what an amazing change.  Being stuck in the house for the few weeks after surgery was quite difficult, I cannot fathom what you have been through.  Like the little plaque from the Irish store hanging on the wall near the entry to our kitchen says, by all means given what you have been through; "dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live each day as it were your last".  A good start,, anyways.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Excellent post.

I agree with each of you about this.  Inner light brightening, dancing, Godzilla, and all that.  Dan - even the part about babbling coherently? here on the forum.  I, on the other hand babble incoherently here sometimes.

I was not bedridden, but I was not able to ride a bike without great and lasting pain.  I love riding my bike to and from work now, in the dark cold rain, and I still like it.  I hope that a year from the second op, (8/2012) I'll be playing soccer.  I do suspect that many of the folks I played with, will say things like "you don't have the same speed and aggresiveness"  That's ok, we all get older and slowing down is not a bad thing. 

For a specific Godzilla moment, there are probabaly quite a few, if I put my mind to it.  However, I had one just 2 days ago.  I was on a tour of an abandoned mine in the forests of Oregon with about 10 colleagues and I was the second youngest and was happy to speedily walk up thickly forested hills ahead of the gang, simply because I was having fun with my new hips.  Been a long time since I had the drive to hike like that.  I was also the tour guide so I needed be on track before too many followed.    I did fall twice, once when I stepped on a lose rock and fell into a soft hole covered in ferns and then another time when I was stepping over a log, still not getting my feet high enough, I tripped over the log, again with lots of ferns to protect my fall.  I snapped right up both times with nothing but a slight extra stretch feeling from my newest hip.  Actually felt kinda good.  I plan to do a vigorous walk up a small here by my office for lunch shortly.

I can hear the Godzilla scream in the distance.  Beware Mothra, here I come.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
Great idea 'One and cool description, Dan and Tin. I haven't had a true Godzilla moment yet, but a few things are tickling my fancy and showing things to come.

• I'm going down the stairs in the middle without any support near me and feel almost light on my feet on the way down.
  • I walked my old crutches recuperation path, remembering laboring over it. It was just a quick 1/3 mile walk now, almost felt like a sprint.
  • I think nothing of leaning into the car balancing on one (resurf) hip while the other (resurf) hipgoes into the car while holding coffee and closing the door - all one smooth motion and no limbs caught in the door. Sweet.
  • I'm running! on the treadmill, but ...
  • People are startled when I tell them I've had both hips resurfaced. Both because I look younger (don't have the strained face of pain) and because they think that happens in your 80s.

Going back to weight lifting and doing well doesn't qualify (I expected that), maybe hard workouts on the punching bag comes closer.

When I do go back to soccer ( about the same time as you, Tin), I expect I'll be running much faster than I did - when I finally gave it up, I was in a lot of pain, my ROM had gone to hell so when I ran, I was so slow compared to the other players, not because I moved my legs that much slower, but because my strides were so short that I worked three times as hard. I also couldn't do any quick passing movements, step overs, anything deceptive, never mind jumping up for any balls. My friends laughed and cut me to ribbons verbally and on the field, so I hope to smoke them again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:27:16 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
Tin! Perfect, a Mothra reference.  You made my day, but remember to move your mouth silently after you complete that word, like the old 50's monster movies overdubs.  Very funny.

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
Here's a Godzilla story.

I negotiated the purchase a new car for my wife to take advantage of year end pricing while I was still using a walker. It was just a week after my surgery. They delivered the car without the all weather mats that were included in the price. I called the salesman to get this straighened out, and he told me I had to come and get the mats. I reminded him that I was using a walker and couldn't drive. He told me he would hold the mats until I was well enough to drive to the dealership and get them. I asked him to ship them to my house, but he refused. He said if I wanted them I had to come and get them. I told him I was getting pretty pissed off and that he really didn't want me to come to the dealership right now. He said, "You're in an f'ing walker, what are you going to do?". 

Godzilla moment a week later when I walked into the dealership alone, using my cane, and proceeded to clear the salesman's desk, and his cubical walls with several stragtegically placed strokes of my cane. Chased him around a bit, went to the General Manager's office, and got my all weather mats. Now I understand how older people and disabled people feel because I see how they are treated.

I've been disabled with bad hips for a few years. I'm starting to feel whole again. Its a good feeling.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Dan L

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
Boomer

Holy shi*t.  Way to go, good for you.  Wow.

Dan

Two4One

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
I'm out the door now in my trusty 'Red Sled' for my first post op outing, right in the middle of a snow storm.  Hubs just called & asked me not to go.  When I told him the shut in was desperate to get out of the crib, he said "Well, I guess I had to unleash you on the world sometime!"

Funny he chose those words because I woke up so stiff at 9am that when I swung my legs to the floor, my legs and knees were locked tight as I lurched, my hands out in front of me for balance, toward the bathroom.  I started humming....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI The Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
Boomer (switching to Boston mode) : "That is f*$cking pissah!!!" so many people mouth off thinking of no consequences.

'One - you kill me... the monster mash???
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Two4One

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
When in pain, it is hard to navigate daily work and your response to people.  This seems much easier now.  I feel quietly hopeful which changes ones outlook.  In yoga terms, my inner light is brighter and because of this my presence in the world is too.
That is beautiful, Aerial!

"The more you light up yourself, the more you light up the world....When you illuminate your mind, your heart, and your body, you feel good. When you feel good, that radiates out in everything you do; your thoughts are more peaceful, your expressions more joyful.

And as you experience these lighter feelings, they ripple out, affecting those around you. Beyond that, on an energetic level, as you bring these vibrations of goodness into the here and now, you contribute to raising the frequency of the planet as a whole." - http://www.yogawithkatrina.com/body-bright-outer-world-resplendent/

I have a friend, still in pain and not having much hope, and I feel she's going through a much more difficult time than she's let on to me.  She said she couldn't hardly bear to have polite conversation with coworkers or even her family because pain informed her life to that degree.  Your response is exactly what I was asking for; how does a more contemplative styled person experience and interact with non hippies, (civilians), now that their pre op pain is falling away like a discarded shell that no longer serves it's purpose?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:39:34 AM by Two4One »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear