+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: N4085B L hip resurface w/ Dr Gross 1-11-2012  (Read 9457 times)

n4085b

N4085B L hip resurface w/ Dr Gross 1-11-2012
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:20 AM »
First wanted thank Pat and all the hippies for making this site possible! Its an AWESOME resource! A coworker turned me on to the site and I spent many many hours going through all the various threads and trying to learn as much as I could. I finally chose Dr Gross based on everything I read here.
A little background on my story; Back in '99 I dislocated and fractured my left hip while riding my dirt bike in Houston. There were other injuries as well but not important here. As I was being carried on the stretcher to the ambulance my hip popped back into place...."Great deal!"....or so I thought. Got to the hospital and it was determined that they had to get into the hip to clean out some bone fragments and install some pins (2) as the femoral head appeared to be broken (think a small china bowl that has been broken/shattered). As the years went on the hip deteriorated and range of motion decreased and the pain became constant. I do remember the Ortho Dr in Houston telling me I was too young for a THR (37) and to hold out as long as possible in the hopes that technology would catch up. At almost 13 years later here I am!

My dealings w/ Dr Gross and his staff have been exceptional. Everyone there is awesome. They were very helpful with all of the paperwork/insurance/and scheduling issues. I had to reschedule due to work 3 times over the past year. We flew in from home in TX to Columbia, SC (CAE) with a connection in Houston (IAH) (about a 3 hr trip flying time not counting the connection time in IAH). Heads up on flying into CAE; none of the major airlines fly full size jets into CAE anymore (at least that I could see), just 50/70 seat regional jets and turbo props....the issue with that for us was 1)that with fewer seats, the flights fill up quickly and 2) I don't fit in the smaller jets too well, very little leg room at 6'5" this might be an issue for me on the way back after surgery. We rented a car in CAE as there is no shuttle service from the Courtyard Marriott. The hotel is practically in the parking lot of the Providence NE hospital where the surgery will be done. You could probably walk it (even with a walker) in 5 minutes! The hotel has been great! Nice quiet place and friendly staff as well. We were able to get a handicapped room too. The staff at the hospital was great as well, very helpful and couldn't have been nicer!

1-10-2012 was the pre-op exam at Midlands Orthopedics on Lake Murray Blvd. You will need wheels if you are staying at the Courtyard. It's about a 20 min drive from the hotel if traffic isn't too bad. We didn't want to deal with waiting for shuttles or cabs, thus the rental car. They did the mri/bone density test first and then followed that up with some xrays to make sure nothing had changed since I sent in my x-rays a while back. Talked with Nancy and Davita to make sure all my insurance/documentation was completed and ready to go. At this time I rcvd the ice machine and was instructed on how to use it (forgive me, I don't remember the young lady's name). Then talked to Lee and she explained what I could expect the following day in surgery. She was very calm and reassuring that this was going to be a great day after so many years. Dr Gross then came in and we discussed the particulars of my case. He was very patient and answered all my questions. I was also given the prescription for the pain meds which I picked up from Long's Drugs right across the street from the hotel. I left the office with the feeling that I had made the right choice. Everyone told me I would be in great hands...they were right!

1-11-2012 Surgery day! 8:00am checkin w/ a last going over of paperwork (ins/wills/power of atty, etc). From there went to the prep room to get undressed and IV'd for the procedure. Everyone there was really nice and they will put you at ease. Talked to the anesth. Dr and he told me what to expect with the epidural etc. They also pulled blood to be mixed with some other chemicals to use on the incision and  femoral head itself to promote faster healing. Lee then came in to mark the area with sharpie and gave me a last minute pep talk. Got into the OR at 10:28am everyone in the room was quite friendly and appeared to be in great spirits. They had a small stereo system in the room to listen to music during the procedure....I requested some metal \m/...don't know if I got it or not cause I was OUT shortly after!
I came to at about 1:30/2:00pm with almost NO pain. compression stockings were already on as well as the ice machine. Spent a little while longer in the recovery room joking around with the nurses and then wheeled into my room. All the rooms are private at the hospital with a small couch/bed for a spouse or whoever you want to bring along. At approx 4:30pm the Phys therapist (PT) came in and talked about some various occupational concerns in regards to getting around and what to avoid so you don't injure yourself. Also discussed some exercises to do. I was able to crawl out of bed pretty much unassisted and shortly after that I was standing with a walker taking my first steps! I ended up walking the entire length of the corridor and back to my room and back to bed with very minimal assistance. Was still a little light headed from the anesthesia but very little pain still....more like sore muscles after working out. A few times on the walker I had almost full weight on the left hip still with almost no pain...just pretty stiff is what it felt like. Had a small dinner at 5:00pm and was able to eat it all! I was HUNGRY!!! didn't eat since about 7pm the night before! So no issues with nausea at all. As I type this it is about 4:52 am the day after the surgery and still very little pain without even taking any of the prescription meds we bought the day before! (unless there was something in the IV?) I am able to move my leg in and out of bed with no problems...have not tried to sleep on my L side yet but the PT said go for it if I want to.
I will keep you guys up to speed with the recovery and travel issues. I hope this helps some of you with upcoming surgeries. Let me know if you have any questions! Good Luck!
PS..the nurse just came in and pulled my catheter....that's been the worst thing so far!  :o
Jess
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:13:08 AM by n4085b »

Dannywayoflife

Re: N4085B L hip resurface w/ Dr Gross 1-11-2012
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
Jess,
       welcome to the other side! I too am a very young patient for a joint replacement but we just have to play the hand were delt! Im sure that you will have a great recovery and hopefully will never have to have your HR revised. Your surgeon has a great reputation on here.
All the best Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
Jess

Congratulations on the new hip!  Thank You for taking time to tell us your story.  I know it will help many others to come in the future.

Meanwhile, take it easy and start planning a fun summer!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »
That's a great report.  Now you are on the road to recovery.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
I think my catheter stayed in for 24 hours.  What a pain in the...well you know.  And quite a relief when it came out.

Congratulations on your successful surgery and welcome to the other side!!
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Congratulations, Jess! Sounds like things went very well, and you're on your way.

I didn't have to deal with a catheter, although the nurses did threaten me with it if I didn't "go". So of course I feel superior to everyone else... or maybe just luckier.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
Congratulations, Jess! Sounds like things went very well, and you're on your way.

I didn't have to deal with a catheter, although the nurses did threaten me with it if I didn't "go". So of course I feel superior to everyone else... or maybe just luckier.

Actually you should feel deprived...
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »
Ooooh...  :(  Now I feel deprived.... que lastima!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
How did you get so lucky Hernanu?  I agree with Jess that the catheter coming out was the worst part.  I felt the effects for days afterward.

Best wishes Jess on your recovery and subsequent rehabilitation.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Hey, Jess.  It was a pleasure meeting you today.  I also had surgery on 1/11/12, and everything he said about Dr. Gross, the staff, and the hospital are spot on.  Really....I can't imagine a better experience.

Jess, You've got a lot longer period of time in a seat, so keep to your meds.  I REALLY stiffened up on the ride home.  The ice is helping not.

Have a safe trip back.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

dwbitt

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
Congrats Jess, life just keeps getting better from here on.
Your N# caught my attention, used to earn a living driving N65B 20 years ago.......

Best,
Dave

Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
Really great report, Jess! Everything you said concerning the day of your surgery is just the way it was with me last year. Wonderful people. Welcome to the Hippy world!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

WTW15

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the great report Jess - I'm just 1 week away with Dr Kelly in Colorado.
Did you still ride moto?  If so, did the dr say how long you should stay off?  I'm hoping just 6 months of good healing and I'll be cleared to ride. 

Your story and confidence here makes me even more excited to get this over with!  Thanks!!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

n4085b

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes and well wishes everyone! Having a community like this gives a tremendous boost in confidence and if nothing else, illustrates how much in common we have with our hip experiences pre and post op. It was great to actually put some faces to the names in therapy yesterday! Nice meeting everyone there. Thanks for the heads up, Andy, it'll be an adventure getting home I'm sure. WTW15, my motox days are long gone now. I never saw my CR250 again after my wreck at Rio Bravo in Houston. I sold it while I was in the hospital, much to the wife's relief! I still needed a fix for my "need for speed", so got a shifter kart instead......much to the displeasure of my wife! Now I'm content just watching the pros! I believe Dr. Gross said 6 mos before any "full contact sports" but he did say that the resurfacing, once its all healed, will be just as strong as your original hip was. dwbitt, my dad and I spent many hours in 85B...lots of sentimental value there for sure.
1-12-2012 Day 1 post op; No real pain to speak of....the constant arthritis pain is gone. It is pretty swollen around the incision and just kind of stiff. I was able to roam around the hospital at will by this time on crutches without getting too tired. The occupational therapist came in and showed us how to use the "hip kit" to get dressed/undressed. Was able to take a shower no problems. Physical therapy again stressed the importance of not crossing your legs, not going beyond 90 degrees in hip flexion, and not turning your toes inward....I've caught myself getting careless about those a couple of times...my advice...just go slooowww in your movements like getting out of bed or getting in/out of a vehicle.
1-13-2012 Day 2 post op; No real change in pain levels (almost none) I am on the oral
pain meds (nucynta) now, but have not noticed any increase or decrease in pain. Still pretty stiff and some muscle pain is about the best way to describe it. Doing the phase 1 exercises seems to loosen it up a little. PT today just consisted of walking on crutches the length of a couple of the corridors in the hospital. After that we got discharged from the hospital. The nurse went over all the things to do and schedules as far as taking the various meds. The next stop will be the 6 week
check up. I can feel improvement in strength/coordination already, even my wife has noticed an improvement in my posture (even on crutches!). One unexpected plus has been the relief on my lower back pain...preop with the limited range of motion in my hip, it would cause my pelvis to rotate in such a way that it would "torque" my lower back...it was worst when laying on my back. Postop....its gone altogether!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
Jess,
You will notice yourself standing and walking so much straighter. I think I went from 5 feet 7 inches to over 6 feet after my surgery! Not really, but it sure felt that way. People around you will notice your improved posture and improved facial expression.   :(  to  :) .

Check with Dr. Gross or his nurses. Unless the rules have changed it is no full contact stuff until after 12 months. Full contact meaning anything that involves hard impact on the new joint(s). After 6 months you are cleared to run, ride a bicycle, play tennis, basketball and similar sports but no martial arts, skydiving, football, rugby, etc. until 12 months. From 6 to 12 months you still have to be aware of the new hip but after 12 months you can do anything. See what they say to be sure. They can explain it more thoroughly. Protect that new hip.

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

n4085b

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
newdog is right. It is 1 yr. Good catch! Thanks!

Aerial

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
Totally agree with you on the lower back pain prior to surgery.  It was very also very uncomfortable for me to lie on my back.  Even my shoulder on my bad hip side was out of whack by the time of surgery.  Post surgery, much better!  Tremendous relief almost immediately.  Dr. Gross is awesome.  Best wishes for your recovery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Hippyliz

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »
Thanks, Jess -- your posts are giving me a great idea of what to expect.  I'm headed up to Columbia this afternoon for my 9 am surgery tomorrow.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
47 yrs, LHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 1/16/12

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »
Jess, great to hear you're doing well. I had the same relief from back and knee pain. Keep it up!

mslendzion

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »
Thanks, Jess -- your posts are giving me a great idea of what to expect.  I'm headed up to Columbia this afternoon for my 9 am surgery tomorrow.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Best of luck!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM