+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Numbness in toes of non-operated side  (Read 1868 times)

imgetinold

Numbness in toes of non-operated side
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
First, sorry for so many threads.  I figured this was a specific enough question to warrant a new topic.

I'm home the day after surgery, and have noticed that I have some numbness in the toes of the non-operated side.  I would like to believe that is normal. 

But...my wife likes to call me a "catastrophist".  So.....what does a blot clot do, and what symptoms does it present with?  Anyone know?

Andy
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Numbness in toes of non-operated side
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
Hi Andy

Blood clots normally cause a great, great deal of pain.  Almost unbearable pain according to the people that posted they had them and went to the ER.  One case I remember was very severe and he would have died if he had not gone to the ER.

So unless you are in unbearable pain - you probably don't have a blood clot.

You had major surgery and ALL KINDS of things are going to be happening in your body.  Unless it involves a lot of pain, it is usually normal.  Maybe your back was twisted or your leg twisted during surgery causing a bit of nerve problems.  Any thing like you are mentioning sounds like it will go away.  People with nerve damage in the leg on the side of the hip, usually have it go away after  some time.  So I would not be too worried.  They really move you around to dislocate your leg.  Different doctors do it differently.  Many people have tenderness or bruising across their groin from the way twist your leg in to dislocate it.

If you have a lot of pain and are worried, call your surgeon.  If you have unbearable pain, then go to the ER.  Other than that, take it easy and be prepared for many places on your body to be sore and upset.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
Andy,

I doubt you have a blood clot. Blots clots reveal themselves with significant pain, dizziness and usually dramatic changes in blood pressure. really hard to ignore a blood clot.

Keep doing your ankle pumps and moving your toes. The numbness will go away I expect.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

einreb

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

But...my wife likes to call me a "catastrophist".  So.....what does a blot clot do, and what symptoms does it present with?  Anyone know?

A few days after getting home from SC, I contacted Lee since I had some weird pains... my concern was a possible blood clot.   As Pat notes, a blood clot would involve some serious pain.  You would also possibly see a skin color change and swelling.  Obviously if things get weird... contact the office.

I had a lot of oddball pains as I felt things getting rewired and working again.

Congrats on the resurfacing!
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:52:34 AM »
Andy,
I had a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg about 7 years ago. The symptoms were: A heavy, achy sensation between the knee and my foot. Swelling from the knee to and including the foot. My lower leg was warmer than usual feeling. The pain was not real bad but it was significant enough to be alarming. I suppose the pain level can be different for people. I was an avid runner at the time and thought something was just sprained or irritated.

Numbness in the toes is not a blood clot. Pat explained it best. Relax.  :)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

imgetinold

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  It was just numbness in the toes, so not a clot. It may have been from sitting in the recliner too long.  Thanks.
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

fenceman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »
Andy,
This is weird but I have had numbness between by 2nd & 3rd toe along the top side of the non-operated side.  I do not notice it unless I touch the area or when I sit on the couch with my legs propped up on the coffee table at which point it feels strange.  I have had this since the operation nearly 3-1/2 years ago.  My only guess is that they may have nicked a nerve during the spinal but I have no explanation.  No other problems and happy with my BHR.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats