+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Recent metal ion test  (Read 4518 times)

John C

Recent metal ion test
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:13 AM »
There has been a lot of attention, especially in the press, about high metal ions after resurfacing. While it is true that it can happen for various reasons, such as poor placement, or problems with certain designs, it is also good to realize that well placed and well designed resurfacings need not lead to high metal ions.
I first had my ion levels tested at just short of two years after surgery, which is near the end of the "break in" period, when the levels are often the highest. My Chromium came in at 1.3 mcg/L, which is within the normal reference range for the general population of 1.4 or less; pretty good news.
A  couple of weeks ago, at 3 1/2 years post op, I was tested again. This time the results came back at .5 for Chromium, and .6 for Cobalt which has a reference range for the general population of up to 1.8. This is great news, both for myself, and for others who have, or are considering having, a resurfacing.
The first good news, is that my levels are down in the lower 1/2 of the reference range for the general population who do not have implants. This pretty much shoots down the argument that resurfacing necessarily leads to higher than normal metal ion readings.
The second good news, is that now that it is almost two years since the first test, and I am past the "break in" period and into the steady wear phase, my numbers have not gone up, but have dropped by 60%. In theory, the numbers should now stabilize at this steady wear level, as indicated by studies that have been done.
Obviously I am happy with these numbers for myself, but just as importantly, I wanted to share them with others to show that you can have a resurfacing, and still have metal ion numbers that not only are not high, but are below the mid point of the reference range for the general population.
Lets chalk one up for the facts, and against New York Times propaganda.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dayton96

Re: Recent metal ion test
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
Thanks John.  I appreciate the encouraging report.  I have to admit I'm curious what my levels are, but I'll have to wait another year to find out.

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »
Yes very nice for all of us to hear.  Thank you!  I just had my six week follow up and inquired about when they would do the first ion test, which like you will be at two years.  Lee was very convincing when she suggested my new hip will last me a lifetime.  I sure hope she is right!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

John C

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
Sorry, I should have just said unbalanced reporting.

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:10 AM »
Thanks John. Very interesting post, very informative. Very encouraging.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

imgetinold

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
John,

Can you give us an idea of your activity level.  I think your results in that context may be even more encouraging.  I would expect lower metal ion levels from someone who is basically sedentary (which I doubt you are, or you probably would have done a THR).  Anyway, do you mind sharing?

-Andy
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
That's great mate! You should send those results to the nyt with a little note "stick that in ya pipe and smoke it"!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
Thank you for the info, John.  Did you have this done with your regular yearly physical exam?

What did you ask for?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

John C

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
Hi Woodstock,
I was contacted by Dr Gross's office, and they said that they are now trying to keep records at least every two years. They have a standard script for the test on their web site, which you just download. He suggests that you have the test done by Quest diagnostics.

Hi imgetinold,
I am pretty active, and I am happy to share my schedule; with apologies to all the old timers on this site who have read this a dozen times before.
Winter schedule: I live at the Sun Valley ski resort, and have been teaching high level skiing here for the past 40+ years. I am usually on skis eight hours a day, seven days a week, skiing at a hard pace. I try to go for a 40 minute walk after skiing to loosen up.
Spring: Still skiing all day, but I add an hour workout in my home gym to get ready for summer sports.
Summer: We move to Maui. Up before sunrise every day to check the surf. If the surf is up, then I go out for a couple of hours of waveskiing. If no surf, then a couple of hours of tennis. The afternoons are spent with 4-6 hours of windsurfing in high winds and waves.
Fall: Same summer schedule, but I add an hour of gym time to get the legs back in shape for ski season.

Safe to say that my low ion numbers were not due to a lack of activity ;)

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
That's great news --- for you and for the Hippy community as a whole.  Although it provides no comfort to Barbara and others who have had bad experiences, for the vast majority of Hippies it confirms that HR can be wonderfully successful.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
@John - Actually your use of the word "propaganda" is very appropriate when used in this context.  It can mean presenting information that is purposely biased by omitting facts as opposed to impartially presenting the facts.  Thanks for your report.  I am curious what my levels will be in another 1.5 years.

@Barbara - I certainly empathize with your situation.  Your personal challenges have been huge.

There are failures that occur with HR as with many surgeries.  Each person (patient and surgeon) or institution (hospital and insurance company) involved must weigh the risks and rewards.  And those decisions can only be made with complete facts.  The NYT omits facts and talks in broad generalizations on one side of the issue with no attempt to provide the stories of the vast majority of successful HR procedures.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

imgetinold

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
John,

Wow.  I want to be you when I grow up.

Andy
Andy - Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012......GO BOILERS!

Aerial

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
John,

Wow.  I want to be you when I grow up.

Andy

Yep, I agree your activity level and location for activities is quite desirable!  Can we all come for a visit and surfing lesson?  ;D
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

lynne123

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
@John     Thanks for sharing the good news and congratulations!  My surgery for LBHR is scheduled for this coming Saturday the 21st and I won't deny that I am nervous at times and re-evaluate my decision daily. There is no getting around the fact that there is some risk involved here and it would be foolish to go into it blindly.  All that being said I am 100% confident that I have the best surgeon and the best hospital that will guarnantee me the best possible odds.  Sounds like it should be smooth sailing for you from here on in!!

Best,
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR 1.21.12
Dr. Su HSS
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
Jennifer it's only natural to be nervous before it's a big deal! And to be fair I was nervous and re evaluating after the op too! You have a great surgeon and a proven device. The chances are very very strong in your favour!
You'll be in my prayers on Saturday.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Luanna

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Hi Jennifer,
Dr. Su is excellent and chances are you will be one of the 96% who does well and has a super recovery! Prayers and thoughts are with you. 1/21 is just around the corner!

Best wishes to you!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
I suspect that dr Su's figures are like those of most of the other top surgeons and considerably better than 96%. don't forget the % was a bit higher than 96% until some surgeons in the US started with the proceedure.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Jimt

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »
Jennifer,

I was nervous too.  But after the surgery it was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated.  Dr. Su and HSS are the best.  You are in good hands.

Jt
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 02:19:24 AM »
How can you assure anybody of that Barbara?   

Common sense tells us what the NY Times is spreading are lies and half truths.   Show me a person with high metal ions I'll show you (with an experienced surgeon) a device that has not been planted in a nominal angle.

So so many people who have posted on this group with metal ion issues had implants that were not installed correctly.

Chuck

I can assure you, what the New York Times is reporting is not propaganda :)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:07 AM »
Luanna, (most of this is not directed at you)

We all feel badly for people who have had issues, but the issue with high metal ions are caused by devices that are not implanted properly.

Two things that some of us say over and over.

1) Pick an experienced surgeon for an HR, an HR is not a THR surgery, it requires skills that some doctors just do not have. 

2) If you have high metal ions, send your x-rays to Dr. Su, Dr. Gross, Dr. DeSmet or Dr. Bose or some other VERY experienced surgeon who deals with screwups made by other surgeons.   

It's very tough to see people going through hip problems, in fact it's downright heart breaking, but there are answers out there, believe me.  We cannot pick the surgeons for patients, we cannot make anybody be a good patient advocate for themselves, we can only give advice, besides we're not doctors.

If you have problems, don't get a 2nd opinion from someone in your same town, doctors often do not like to burn their fellow sureons, especially when they live in your geographical area.  Also, DO NOT get a 2nd opinion from someone within the same practice or group.

None of us are making money from this forum, we're just patients ourselves, we do this to pay it forward.  John has helped a lot of people with his posts.  I do this to help Pat and to pay it forward, no doctor has ever given me a penny, well, ok, Dr. Gross gave me a t-shirt when I first met him, but at that point he did not know me from Adam, he probably does not know who I am now.

We all care about the people that post on this forum, I feel for those like Barbara, if there was something I could personally do, I would be the first one to do something for her.

In the end, please, until you have some study that is peer reviewed by experienced surgeons please refrain from saying that MOM HR devices cause metal ions, yes, some devices that have been recalled have caused issues, and even Smith and Nephew's devices have cause problems when they were not installed correctly. 

What the NY Times is saying are half truths, speculation and lies in an attempt to sell soap.

One final note, you will find a lot more patients with issues on this forum posting than you will the positive stories, that's because so many of them have moved on with active lives.  I could count into the hundreds of people that I've had the pleasure of meeting digitally on this forum, Pat could probably go into the thousands and thousands, and a huge majority of them have moved on to active lives.

Chuck

Hey cwg, good to see you online. I agree excellent news for John and totally sucks for Barbara. I was thinking about what she's been through last night and it brought me to tears.

I just hope that people on this site can step back a bit and imagine what she has endured over the last 3 years and try to have a little more empathy rather than feeling such a strong need to defend their postion. It does not need defending and Barbara deserves our help, understanding, and prayers.

It's the least this community can do for someone whose BHRs have failed.

Luanna
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:02:45 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
September 21, 2020, 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM