+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Using two different implants/Dr. Raterman  (Read 3010 times)

spike

Using two different implants/Dr. Raterman
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:32:38 PM »
My L hip was resurfaced in 04 in L.A. . Dr Amstutz used the Conserve+. It was and still is, nothing short of a miracle. I went to L.A because at the time the procedure wasn't F.D.A. approved.

Last week in Tampa, Florida my R hip was resurfaced with a BHR. I am only 5 days post op but it feels {feels being the key word here} like my R hip seems to be a bit longer.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with something like this?

For the record, Steve Raterman did the work last week and everything was total Pro and I wouldn't hesitate to go see him again.

Id appreciate any feedback with this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:16:27 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Using two different implants
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
Many people feel like their recently done hip has made their leg longer. I think, as a guess, that it could be do to the swelling of all the surrounding tissue, etc.  Usually, it resolves itself.  As long as Dr. Raterman chose the correct size component for you, you should have no problem.  It is difficult to make a leg much longer with hip resurfacing.  It is possible with THRs.  So you probably don't have problems.  Give yourself time to heal.  I know several people that have different hip devices and several that have a BHR and THR.

Hopefully, things will be better as you heal.  Be sure to say something to your surgeon at your followup if you still feel you are having problems.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
Spike,

I'm six days out myself (right hip), and it does feel longer also.  Many have indicated, like Pat, that this most often goes away when the soft tissue heals and the swelling subsides.  I'll have to let you know, but I'm going to trust the experienced hippies and not sweat about it.

-Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

cassiewoofer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
 Don't worry! I had a left hip BHR a year ago now and I was CONVINCED it was longer. Not just after the operation but for a number of months afterwards when all the swelling had gone down. I think yoor whole body is out if kilter due to walking with pain for so many years that the rebalancing of the frame and the brain just takes a good while.

If you look at what they actually do (mechanically) with a resurfacing it's almost impossible to change the length (from the hip to the foot) by anything significant. They would have to grind out a different cavity in the pelvis..... or somehow drill the hole in the Ball/femoral neck in the wrong place and somhow fit the resurfacing device over the old ball wrongly.

I'm sure if I had a go with my power tools I could avoid doing that!!

I will be very surprised if you are still convinced in 6 months. Just give it time.

And don't worry..... seriously I was very concerned after the op.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
I feel like my left leg is longer at the mo I'm nearly 10 weeks. I think it's a combination of things. I think one of the main factors is the fact that pre op we loose cartilage so leg length will shrink, our body's will adapt to this over time. When we have the joint resurfaced i think it restores everything to where it should be so your body has to re adapt.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

lyn

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
 Hi Spike,
 Just curious why didn't you try and have the same implant for your other hip. Did Amstutz retire? Anyway I wish you a speedy recovery. lyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear