+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How did you spend your last days PHR (Pre Hip Resurfacing)?  (Read 2821 times)

Baby Barista

How did you spend your last days PHR (Pre Hip Resurfacing)?
« on: January 19, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
Approaching my last days before surgery. I'm taking a couple days off to get my house cleaned and arranged... and to attend a joint replacement seminar at the hospital.

Friday, I'm also going to enjoy a rare happy hour with my wife (I work nights and Saturdays)... and Satuday, attend a 1000th show party for a radio personality friend of mine.

How did you fellow hippys spend your last few days PHR?
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Dannywayoflife

Re: How did you spend your last days PHR (Pre Hip Resurfacing)?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:13 AM »
Sounds like your last phr days are going to be more interesting than mine! I worked up until 3 days pre op then had to pack my gear and drive 300 miles to my parents where I spent the first 7weeks of recuperation time.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:03:43 AM »
I was already not working because of the shoulder surgery I had in September so my wife and I went to the Florida Keys for some pre-op R&R.  The shoulder was recovered enough to do some open water swimming in a wetsuit with no kicking.  The sun was shining and we had a great time getting me ready for surgery.Recommendeded for everyone!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:14:13 AM »
I too worked up to the last moment because I was taking time off.  I tried to stay as active as possible because I knew physical activity would be limited after surgery but that was tough because the pain had really increased!  Good luck with your surgery!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:20 AM »
I worked up to the last day. Also stocked items I thought I'd need. Washed as many cloths/sheets as possible. I did things I thought my husband would do less well. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
I spent the weekend before and some that week at the Oregon Coast with family at the annual beach weekend.  I worked a few days the week before and then on Friday I drove up the Oregon and Washington coasts to Tacoma.  I spent the weekend in Seattle walking the hills and having a wonderful time.  I was also determined to get every bit out of my old hip.  I was in some good pain after all that walking which reinforced the need to get replacement parts.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »
No 1 - I spent some time with some old friends in Bremerton and drank too much the night before surgery, not a good idea, but fun.

No. 2 - I spent my 20th anniversary, the day before surgery, rowing my wife around Lake Union in a livery boat from the Center for Wooden Boats in August.  It was probabaly the warmest I've ever experienced Seattle and probably the busiest I've ever seen the Lake.  We couldn't party too hard that night because I had a 0540 visit with pre-op the next morning.  I drank a lot of water up to the shut-off point, that night.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lynne123

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
I have spent the past week getting my apartment in order.  I rearranged my bedroom and cleaned my closet.   I just finished painting my bathroom about one hour ago. I had different splotches of paint on the wall testing colors and decided that would probably drive me nuts.  I wanted to get done all those things that would bother me the most looking at while laying around. I brought my handicapped son home for our last visit until I am well enough to handle him.  And I babysat my grandson as much as I could since it will be awhile before I can do that as well.  My boyfriend and I check into the hotel in NY near the hospital tomorrow and surgery is on Saturday.  Not the most romantic pre-op story but it feels good to have gotten so much done!

Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR 1.21.12
Dr. Su
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »
Kitesurfed my brains out in Hawaii, wish I spent more time on the water before I went under the knife but had to do Halloween at S.F. and only wish I had a few more days of the kitesurfing then the partying in S.F.

Made the mistake of not stocking up on food well, or of finding this sight before surgery, so I winged it with food I got tired of and tricks not learned..but 3 years later..happy as a clam doing everything possible..

I check in here every now and then, and sometimes write a comment..

Eric
rbhr, Nov 5 3 years ago

dwbitt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »
I wanted to stay active up to the surgery, managed a 35 mi road bike ride the day before. Everyone is different and I had a great recovery, I like to think being able to stay fit contributed to that.

Jennifer, I see a good omen here, my surgery was on Saturday also, the Halloween Snowstorm Saturday! It seems Dr. Su does exceptionally good work on snowy days, at my one month checkup Victoria commented that all his patients from that day were having great recoveries! (Truth be known, Dr. Su does exceptionally good work EVRY day).

Good luck!!
Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:59:32 PM by dwbitt »
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
Any excuse to get to the Florida keys is worth it.  That's about as tropical as you get in the 48 states.

Chuck

I was already not working because of the shoulder surgery I had in September so my wife and I went to the Florida Keys for some pre-op R&R.  The shoulder was recovered enough to do some open water swimming in a wetsuit with no kicking.  The sun was shining and we had a great time getting me ready for surgery.Recommendeded for everyone!
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jimt

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »
I spent my last days walking around New York looking at Christmas lights.  Walked many miles that reminded me at night why I was having surgery!   

I sit here tonight after 45 minutes on eliptical or 4.5 miles.  My PT is amazed as she has never worked with a HR before.

You are in good hands with Dr. Su!
Right bhr 12-02-2011. Dr Su

lynne123

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »
I will take that good omen!  I have lived in New Jersey my whole life and love Manhattan in the snow.  It brings back fond memories of my mom and our trips into the city.  It will give it that fuzzy warm feeling.  Twelve hours to go......

Jennifer
LBHR 1.21.12
Dr. Su
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

tennisgirl

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
I played as much tennis as I could possibly squeeze in, and also went to physical therapy where I was "pre-habbing".  I actually played tennis in Columbia the night before surgery.

I didn't worry too much about my house or preparing food in advance.  I had many friends who had signed up to bring my family meals for almost two weeks and it was a godsend.  I have two teenagers who helped with housework and of course my husband pitched in alot, especially with the ice machine.

You will be fine!
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
You're there now (I think), Jennifer - sending some good thoughts, let us  know when you're out.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal