+-

Author Topic: 3 weeks post-op and still walking with one crutch  (Read 5087 times)

Davinai

3 weeks post-op and still walking with one crutch
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
How long until you felt strong enough to bear full weight?  I am still walking with one crutch at 3 weeks post-op and I don't feel strong enough to bear full weight.  I haven't been pushing myself to walk without the crutch.  When did you feel comfortable to walk without help?

I had LHR 12/27 with Dr. Pritchett.  Thanks

jjmclain

Re: 3 weeks post-op and still walking with one crutch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
I was told 2 crutches with 50% weight bearing until 3 weeks, then one crutch, weight bearing tolerated. When I went for my 4 week check-up, I was told to ditch the crutch and my husband made me walk out of the doctor's office! After 4 weeks of not walking on my own, I was like a toddler, walking very slowly. By the next day I was faster and by the end of the weekend I was walking at normal speed. By the way, the limp I had prior to surgery was gone.

Each surgeon has different protocols so be sure to check with yours to make sure you are following his/her instructions.

June

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
If you are allowed 100% weight bearing you should push it a little more, it's not about comfort, but rather building your strength in the leg.  Keep one crutch going, but try to use the crutch less and less. When I was recovering I would put one crutch out in front and walk towards it using it for a little bit of balance.

Dr. Pritchett has a lot of satisfied patients on this group.

Chuck

How long until you felt strong enough to bear full weight?  I am still walking with one crutch at 3 weeks post-op and I don't feel strong enough to bear full weight.  I haven't been pushing myself to walk without the crutch.  When did you feel comfortable to walk without help?

I had LHR 12/27 with Dr. Pritchett.  Thanks
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

ibbski45

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
Im 5 weeks post op with one crutch and ystr experimented walking with no crutch, it felt funny but I walked around the house for 10min suprised. Well today at the gym a friend who had the same surgery said put the crutch down until its really needed ie (long walks, mall...ect) I did .....and whoa as me! I began to walk a lil faster on the treadmill without support and left the crutch on the wall for entire time at gym!

Tonight im kinda sore but feel enthused because i didnt break anything today!
RBHR Dr. Knothe Cleveland clinic

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
I always knew that since they said i could be full weight bearing that I wouldn't cause any problems without support early on.  That doesn't mean it was comfortable, physically or mentally.  The muscles are definitely weak.

I went to the cane too quickly and went back to the single crutch for awhile.  Try to go for periods with little then no support.  Definitely start with short walks around the house for example.  I think you will know when you will feel comfortable.

Best wishes.

Dan

PS nice to have another Pritchett Hippy on here.
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
I think that you should listen to your body and your doc. I wouldnt worry too much about still being on one crutch at 3 weeks i could barely get out of bed at that stage!
I think long term its a better idea to continue to use one crutch for as long as you need, its important not to develop a bad gait as that can cause other problems for yourself.
Have you tried getting into a pool yet i found that once i did that my progress really picked up. I think thats because you can strengthen your muscles without putting too much weight on them you may also find as i did that your rom in the water is far better than it is out of it.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Luanna

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
Hi Davina,
I was told that I could be 100% weight bearing the day after surgery. I think with our implants Stryker poly liner cup and BHR femoral ball - we are good to fully bear all our weight on our operated leg. Check with Susan if you are not sure. I doubt you have any weight bearing restrictions. I used a walker for 3 weeks and then switched right over to a cane and used it for 5-6 more weeks just to make sure that I didn't develop an odd limp. I think that you can still use your crutch and be 100% weight bearing as you wean yourself off of it. You are still very early in your recovery.

I agree with what others on this thread say - push a bit but also make sure that you start slowly and if you are not sure or have unusual discomfort call or email Susan.

How are you doing? Back at work full time now?

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Davinai

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments!  This week was a bust for me because of all the snow so I didn't get to PT and I couldn't walk outside safely.  I think that just got me down.  Danny I agree that I don't want to have an odd limp and clearly my bum muscles are really weak.  I'll take baby steps with adding full weight.  Luanna I don't have any weight bearing restrictions, just as tolerated, so I will listen to my body and continue to do my PT exercises.  I am not sure when I can get in the pool but it sounds great, like when I was 9 months pregnant but still floated.  That was the best feeling.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
I think it's pretty normal for your bum muscles to be weak for quite a long time after the op. I believe that glute mead has to be cut using the posterior approach which most surgeons use.
Everyone heals differently. Everyone thought I would recover in a flash because of my young age. But initially my progress was terribly slow! So much so I really thought something had gone wrong with the op. Then just as Mr Treacy predicted my recovery just over night took off.
Just look after yourself and take everything at YOUR pace.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:31 PM »
I am doing great today but at 3 weeks I was still using 2 crutches.  I was taking recovery real slow as I did not want to hurt anything.

jon

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
Guidance I have received is not to rush off of the crutches/cane.  I was strongly advised to use both crutches for four weeks and continue the next four with either one crutch or a cane. I think it is hard for us to appreciate that this is not a race, but a (healing) process. 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
On my left I was in a similar place as you at 3 weeks.  I think I was transitioning from a crutch to a cane at about 2 to 3 weeks.   On the second, I was feeling really good within a week and so I think I may have pushed a little too much and went to a cane at 1 week and nothing at 2.5 weeks or so.  Not good.  Need to take it easy.  3,4 weeks is nothing in the full period of recovery, it's best to take it slow.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal