+-

Author Topic: groin pain  (Read 7254 times)

LoriBender

groin pain
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
HI, my name is Lori. Im 40 years old. I had hip resurfacing 3.5 weeks ago. I was on a walker for 1 week and since then have been using a cane. I have stiffness at the incision site (which causes me to limp when im not using the cane) and I have very bad groin pain which drives me crazy (especially at night). I have been reading your blogs and Im so grateful to have found this site! I have many worries and questions to ask, but today Id like to ask a very specific question concerning a weird feeling I have in my groin when I bend over, squat down, abduct my leg (in a supine position), do my knee slides, etc. Pretty much anytime I move my leg. The feeling, doesn't necessarily cause pain, but I do notice it more when Im having a painful episode. Its a movement, shifting or snapping sensation, that I can actually hear if Im in a very quiet space. Im wondering if the psoas tendon is rubbing against the implant (and if this may be the cause to my groin pain).

To give you a little history, I have been suffering from very bad groin pain for almost 2 years prior to the surgery. I had a CAM impingement, labreal tear, and moderate arthritis in the hip. I had arthroscopic surgery 1.5 years ago, where Dr Byrd (Nashville,TN) did a micro-fracture, a-braided the tear, and cleaned out the bony spurs. The hip was better for awhile but the arthritis came back with a vengeance (and so did my groin pain), hence the reason for the resurfacing.

Anyway, I asked my surgeon if maybe the cap implant was too big for my femur head, resulting in the psoas tendon rubbing against it which would cause abrasion and inflammation. He said something that confused me. He said,that they measure the neck of the femur to determine the size of the cap and its pre-determined and that it cant be changed (or something along those lines). Well, I dont understand that. What if you have a long neck and a small head. Wouldnt that cause a problem. Im a tall thin person with small hips, but long legs. Im worried the implant is the wrong size for me.

Any doctors out there that can give me advice, or any surface hippy that has dealt with a similar issue, would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Lori

manyworries

Re: groin pain
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
I'm pre-op but can truly empathize with your concern.  I'm tall and thin and worry about getting a proper fitting cup. As for the pain I was living on morphine (I need both sides done) but switched to Aleve and am now debating even having the surgeries or not! Only the painhas been relieved not the immobility.   Best of luck in getting you the answers and relief you need.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
At 3.5 weeks I wouldn't worry too much. You still mega mega early in your recovery and you will still get aches and pains for a while to come. I'm nearly 11 weeks and I still get them.
Just think your only like 25 days post major major surgery. Your soft tissues will take up to a year to fully heal.
Your surgeon is correct. They decide on the size of device by the diameter of your femoral neck.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

cassiewoofer

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »
Just what Danny said! 3.5 weeks is nothing. I had my op a year ago and have no pain whatsoever now, but I remember at 5 weeks still having groin pain and wondering how there was still pain very similar to the arthritic pain before the op. I was definately worried that the resurfacing hadn't fixed the problem.
 It was only at about 5 months I really started to feel great and started running and playing tennis.
In fact the tennis at 5 months was a struggle as I couldn't run balanced or push of the weaker leg.
 Just relax and let the long healing process happen.
You've had major surgery remember, everything has to recover from the cutting/scraping/banging and drilling!!!
 There's a video out there of the op if you really want to understand why healing takes time.

Good luck.

Keith LBHR 15/12/10 Mr O'Hara.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Agreed.  3.5 is early and your hip is probabaly still swollen in places.  Just a little swelling can cause weird feelings like that.  I'd give it a few more weeks before getting too concerned.  I suspect your doc will say the same thing, but it wouldn't hurt to check in with them.

As far as the component sizing, it seems reasonable to me that indeed the femoral component would be the size-determing piece.  You don't want to mess around with the neck, that tends to be a likely location of failure.  I'm not a surgeon, but I think the idea is that the femoral cap needs to be as close to fitting the natural femor top, as possible, so you cut as little material away as possible.  You would then size your acetabular component to match the outside diameter of the cap.  I think, because there is more area and material to work with on the acetabular side, it's not as critical.  Although the angle seems to be critical.  ???  heck the whole damn surgery is critical.

The BHR surgeons's guide presents the main steps of the surgery and is a good document for undertsanding the surgical process.   

http://global.smith-nephew.com/cps/rde/xbcr/smithnephewls/BHR_ST_Low_Res.pdf

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Hi Lori

I am sorry to hear you are having pain.  Who was your surgeon?  What device did you get?  What surgical approach did you have?

Many people have a lot of different kinds of pains and swelling, even weeks after surgery while others don't.  If you are having a lot of pain, you should be getting back with your surgeon and have an x-ray.  Most surgeons give you information about what device you received and what size you received.  Not that you could tell whether it was correct for your body, it is for reference.  Get your information next time you go to the doctor.

Meanwhile, I would stay on my meds and call the doctors office.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by PalmettoGolfer
Yesterday at 10:35:21 AM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by BTMachine
January 26, 2022, 03:46:01 PM

Re: Second BHR with Dr. Gross by YetiKing
January 25, 2022, 10:54:16 PM

Are lighter loads for higher reps are safer post surgery? by Bubbish
January 25, 2022, 01:49:09 PM