+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: WTW15 - On the Other Side - and it's GREAT!  (Read 11297 times)

WTW15

WTW15 - On the Other Side - and it's GREAT!
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:56:42 PM »
Just a quick note to let you know I'm a HIPPY now!  Slightly rough road - blood was too thin and had to get my pint back, a little low B/P and high heart rate, but nothing ever really "dangerous".  The procedure itself went great.  Dr Kelly commented that it looked worse than on the x-rays, and that the BHR went in perfectly.  I am home now and ready to heal.  Already able to do weight bearing as tolerable and it feels so good. 

I'll be catching up with everyone in the next couple of days. 

Cheers!
Denise
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Baby Barista

Re: WTW15 - On the Other Side - and it's GREAT!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »
Awesome Denise! Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Best of luck to you ;)

-Rob
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »
Great news!  Enjoy the ups and downs of recovery and rehabilitation.  It will go by faster than you may think.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Denise

Congratulations on your new hip.  Take it easy.  The tough part is over, now you just have to wait to heal.

Keep in touch.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
Slightly rough road - blood was too thin and had to get my pint back
Hi
Hope your recovery is going well. My surgeon advised me not to give blood prior to the surgery.  He said if I gave a pint he would most likely have to give it back to me during or after the surgery. I did not need any additional blood post surgery. I wonder if you would have needed the pint if you had not stored some prior to the surgery.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

WTW15

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
Well, 8 days post-op and feeling OK.  PT going great.  I can feel the strength and ROM returning each time.  Not much swelling nor incision pain, but I have kept up on my pain meds so that I can do what I need to.  Worst thing is sleeping.  I'm good for about 4 hrs on my back, then start getting fidgety.  Last night I almost caved and laid on my side.  AUGH!  But I didn't, just got up and made the trek to the plastic throne, and by the time I got back, did some stretching, took my meds and got back in bed, I had loosened up enough to get back to sleep for a few more hours. 

My blood levels are still too thin.  Off the coumadin again and another blood draw today.  I had given my own blood over 3 wks prior to surgery, so I don't think that was an issue.  I am 5'6" and 130# so not sure if it's just not my size that is the issue. 

I can't believe it's been over a week already.  Dr Kelly said I was a perfect 46mm and if it would have been any smaller I would have had a THR - and I definitely understand that.  Glad I was able to get the BHR.  My instructions are weight bearing as tolerated and I am able to put at least 25% weight on the new hip, and have stood at the sink 50/50 when I brushed my teeth.  WOW - felt great! 

Still kinda foggy - still not used to not being totally self-sufficient and grateful for my hubby and my aunt who are here helping me out.  Trying not to over-do-it but the PT is already boring me, so just concentrating on doing it perfect and not rushing things. 

WooHoo!!! 

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
All sounds good, Denise - I know it takes a bit to be patient, seems like you're doing the right things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great.  Congratulations on your new hip.

The hardest thing is just to take it easy when it all feels so good.  I'm the last one who should give this advice but just remember that taking it easy is the best way to go.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Two4One

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:13:35 AM »
Hi Denise!

I'm so glad you're going so well!  I can relate to the PT being boring as H E Double Tooth Picks!  Music, in my case rowdy music, helps.  As for sleep, that's an off and on issue for me too.

You have the perfect attitude and approach to healing:
.....so just concentrating on doing it perfect and not rushing things.

2fer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:14:48 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

WTW15

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15:20 AM »
Sleep is so elusive....  2 - 3 hrs at a time,  varying from bed - laying fairly flat to sitting up right or 'reclining' on the couch as it may be.  I am not used to missing sleep......  I no likey..... makes me cranky.    I do take 2 naps during the day, but just this uncomfortableness is getting old already.   

I re-read my post op instructions 100 times and it said I could put 2 pillows between my legs and lay on my side.  That works for about 10 min till too uncomfortable.  I have cut back on the percocet to 1/2 in the am, then extra strength tylenol mid-day and  1/2 percocet before bed with a valium to relax.  well that lasted till 1am and here I am, so I took another 1/2 perc and see if that may kick in soon so I can sleep. 

I'm feeling great otherwise,  I feel way more comfortable using just one crutch and taking nice slow real steps with the new hip, making sure to preserve form over function.  If I need to get somewhere quick I'll use 2 crutches.  PT also recommended "cruising" the kitchen like a toddler cruises around furniture as they learn to walk.  That's fun :-) 

My first post-op visit is Thurs.  Still monkeying around with my blood levels.....  but since it was only 3 weeks on coumadin figure i only have one more week to screw around with this and then they'll leave me alone.  Will look in to the next phase of PT next week.  May talk to the guy Boomer is using since he's now familiar with BHR patients.  Found that using my SoniCare and doing my toe liftsups at the same time is good multi-tasking.  2 min of those are great. 

My scar is about 6" long - should get the staples out on Thurs too.  Looks like it's healing nicely.  Got the 'Aquacell' bandage so have been able to shower the whole time.  We have 2 shower heads and it feels sooooooo Goood in there.  Thank GOD we have 2 40 gal water heaters!  I am definitely taking that time to spoil myself.

My aunt is here with me and yesterday was the first day my hubby went to work.  He's a firefighter and works 48 hr shifts.  This was the first time ever in our 29 yrs together that I got so insecure and asked if he could come home after his first shift - so he'll be home in the morning.  I have always been so independent, as firefighter wives MUST be, but I just felt so lost and lonely without him, even though it was for just a short time.  Funny how things like this do it to you.  I am just glad he can come home. 

Other than just incision pain/muscle weakness, I'm feeling pretty damn good.  Now to get this sleep thing under control and all will be right with the world, birds will sing.....etc...  LOL   

Thanks my Hippy Friends - I know you all understand and are sympathetic and will give me the encouragement that this too shall pass.   :D

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
The sleep will come. You're still getting rid of the narcotics from the surgery, your body is in a rush to heal, and you are taking other drugs that will come out of your system soon. Oh yeah - and you're uncomfortable from the healing hip.

It took me about three to four weeks to get to 5 hours of straight sleep, then it picked up afterwards. I had horrible sleep before the surgeries, with some bad habits due to pain, so it probably took me longer than it will you. I definitely hope that for you, but even if it doesn't, it's temporary and will pass.

Don't be afraid to ask for emotional help, we all have. You're healing emotionally as well as physically. Independence doesn't mean you don't rely on the ones you love, this is when they want to be there for you. Let them.

Two4One

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »
Oh, WTW girl, I feel you.  I got a big fat zero hours of sleep last night and am sipping on some coffee right now.  Like you, and everybody who's shortly out from their resurfacing, you have a lot on your mind, plus from what I've read here, the ol' completely normal aches and pains keeps most hippies awake nights in the initial post op weeks of recovery.

OK, that being said I'm getting myself to a marriage counselor this week and am going on my own.  Hubs knows I'm making a therapist appointment and that's where his intell :-X will stay.  I just need to work on me and get some sleep, at least while our insurance is covering 100% until the year rolls over on March 31st! ;D  Also, I think now is a great time to get a colonoscopy, a mammogram, see the dermatologist, order 3 months supplies of eligible medications, etc.  You get the picture, this surgery is outrageously expensive, so our family of two, unlike some, actually was very lucky we only had to spend 12k this year for 'out of pocket' and 'co pays'.

Well, that's my 2 cents.  If you want to get some help on the cheap that's really very good quality try a local Samaritan Center - http://www.sccsb.org/.  That's one place I'm calling on Monday and the other is a psychiatrist or psychologist client of my friend, who's also my Bichon Frise's groomer.  My groomer friend knows everyone and where all the bodies are buried in this burg! ;)

Let me know how you do because I could use your tips that you'll find that work!

2fer
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:23:29 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

WTW15

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »

Let me know how you do because I could use your tips that you'll find that work!

2fer

and vis-versa!!!! 
Thanks 2fer 

WTW15

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 11:44:22 PM »
Had a great Post-Op appt last week.  I graduated myself to my cane the day before and everyone was like "WOW"!  It feels way better than just trying one crutch.  Again, trying to preserve form with every step so I'm a bit slow, but it's all good!  So much easier to manuever with just a cane.   Saw the surgical day xrays and dr showed me how it all looked good.  Next x-rays at 6 wks.  Cont'g with home induced PT and as much walking as I can do.  A little difficult since we got 50" of snow!!!  But we did get out yesterday to Bass Pro Shops and I bought some slip on shoes since I'd just came to the realization that I was going to be home alone and could not put on my own damn shoes!  LOL  The shoes have good grippers for my snowy conditions too. 

Today I was "Flying Solo"!  Got the OK to drive, so I was able to go to the lab for my blood work - hoping it's the last time, but doubt it, probably one more visit.  Then ran a couple of errands, stopped and saw hubby at work (since he'll be there thru Wed AM and I already missed him  :-[  )   Got home and was tired, but not exhausted.  Don't feel like I over did it, but do realize I was pushing it a bit.  So the dishes will wait till morning, already in my PJ's and just chilling for the rest of the evening. 

Things I've Learned and hope by sharing others can benefit:

1) FIBER!  Lots of it prior to surgery.....  and afterward as well as ducolax or other 'helper'....  lol 
2) Ice bags made of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol in double ziploc bags are awesome - they stay flexible and are super-duper cold! 
3) "Scrubs" pants with pockets.  I have a friend who's a cardiac rehab PT and she let me borrow some of hers - one size bigger than I'd normally weary - very light weight - comfy, big waist band and easy to put on.  And the pockets are very helpful.
4)  As soon as you get home get on the phone to schedule your outpatient PT consult and treat appointment - even if it's 2 weeks out and you are doing Home PT.  I spaced that and today tried to schedule and can't get in for another week.  I have enough home PT work to do, but am a bit disappointed that I can't get that part of my recovery started this week. 

I feel so blessed to be feeling as great as I do.  People can't believe I'm only 18 days post op - and really, neither can I.  I know sleep will get better.  I just try to keep that in mind during those late night/early morning difficulties.  I am so pleased with my surgery and progress and just thank God, my Hubby, my Aunt who helped me, The Universe, This SITE and EVERYONE ON IT for getting to this point!  (yeah, getting all mushy - must be the meds  ;)  ) 

Two4One

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:01 AM »
GO WTW15!  GO WTW15!  *finished doing the wave* and sat down to eat my breakfast.

Fantastic
post and "Right on!" tips.

Thank you,
2fer
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:24:45 AM by Two4One »

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
Well, I don't DO the wave (sniff)... but I did say "Go WTW15" and in a stately fashion rose, looked around my office, then serenely sat back down...

WTW15

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:01 PM »
Thanks you guys - no wave here either - I think it breaks some kind of early protocol....LOL 

Here's another thing I prob should share since my WTW15 really doesn't make any sense to you all.  Here's the story behind it.
I grew up riding motorcycles.  My dad won the Baja 1000 and 500 and placed well many times over the years, as well as held the #1 Desert plate in AMA District 37 racing in Southern California back in the 60's and 70's.  My dad owned a motorcycle shop and then branched out and opened a 2nd one.  In about 1987 he sold those and went to work for Kawasaki Corp in R&D.  Since I was "old enough to start it and pick it up if I fell" I've been riding.  We were always out in the desert for races and my brother and I were always on our bikes.  My brother also started racing and won Baja, was a #1 plate holder in D37, etc etc....  my parents divorced but my step dad was also in the motorcycle industry and kept us all riding. 

Fast forward to end of High School/College, finding my hubby - who I taught to ride ;-) - but then Life/Work/Kids etc all took center stage and riding went by the side.  Couldn't afford to have bikes, we snow skied and that was our main sport and that was just fine - although I missed riding, all was OK.   A big move from So Cal to Colorado also played a big role as we got our kids in to ski racing and again, that took all our time/money.  So in 2007 we were finally in a position to get me a bike.  Hubby had gotten one in 2006 and it was time for the family to start riding.  It's been a great wondeful thing to bring back to our lives and introduce to our kids.  Yes, we Mtn Bike and hike and fish and camp, but the moto is so much more - the things we've seen in a day that others miss - moose, deer, elk, fox, they really do stop and look and we offer them their peace to mosey on as they go.  And it's turned out that our son also is blessed with the skills to be a top rider/racer and has progressed to semi-pro in enduro racing in 3 yrs.  He's currently at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute this year getting his education.   

But I digress - what is WTW15?   My user name on the first moto blog I joined was WorththeWait15   and how it truly was worth the 15 year wait to get back on the bike, the right bike, and to get the family all back in to riding.  Some things are Worth The Wait!!!  I feel that while I had other activities, and trust me I didn't "suffer" but I really did miss riding and it's truly been worth the wait.  So if you feel you've had to give up something for whatever reason, remember - you can get back to it - and it'll be Worth The Wait!!! 

Two4One

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:38:21 AM »
HA! hernanu, us lowbrow types just snorted out our milk through our nose!

'Walking Amazing Mam", Wam, thanks for the low down on your handle!  Very interesting and now you're a 'Woman Actively Moving'!  I somewhat shamefacedly pictured 'White Trash Woman' who was 15 at heart *shaking my head*.

2fer

P.S. 'Wondrous Towering Woman', WTW15, you got it going on!

WTW15

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »
Day 24:  had a very rough night last night - I think I laid on the op'd side too long, as I actually fell asleep on it, but when I woke up I was miserable.  Moved to the couch, laid there in discomfort for about an hour and then gave in to a Percocet.  Took about 45 min to get it all to calm down and then fell asleep for about 2 hrs - good deep sleep.  Actually felt rested when I woke up. 

Still doing just home PT.  Have added a few things my PT friend said would be OK so I do feel like I am progressing.  Able to walk normal up/down the 23 stairs into the house and it's a good work out since we live at 9,000'.  I've been taking very concentrated appropriate steps across the living room floor with no assistance.  But have kept to using the cane for most walking.  Again, unless in a hurry, trying to keep a very proper step to be sure to train those muscles to work correctly. 

I also feel like my brain is finally coming around.  I go back to work 2/21 and will need a clear head and have not felt 'with it' until just the last few days.  We also have a home business that I do the bookkeeping for and it's been a struggle to get quotes and invoices out - but it's all coming together and I am feeling a lot better about that. 

I have been driving which feels great - I've always been the one that drives everywhere.  Hubby loves it so we have that going for us.  I made "first tracks" down the driveway last night in the new 4" of snow we got yesterday  ;D  Was hoping to buy the winning Powerball ticket but - it wasn't our lucky night...  LOL   

I'm feeling amazingly well with the progress I've made.  I am now ready to seriously pursue some formal PT and will start getting that rolling this week.  It's frustrating in that anywhere I want to go is 20+ miles away, so hoping to do 1x/wk and get a lot of good home instructions.  And unfortunately walking outdoors for me is out of the question for now- not going to take any chances of falling on the snow/ice.  I'll just have to continue the laps around the garage and stairs.  For you guys out there, we have a 1000sqft garage - big enough for an F350 4x4 king cab long bed, with room enough to walk behind it and the work bench ;-)  The Suburban parks in the single car side.  LOL 

It's good to see the other January Hippies posting too and doing well.  It's nice to have the bond there knowing I am not alone at this very point in time.  And again, it's great to have this place to come to, to get the knowledge/help/support of all those who have gone before us. 

lori.36

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
Denise,

This is a wonderful account of what is happening with your recovery.  I am sorry that yesterday was a painful morning, hopefully you are back to good spirits today.  I am very intrested in your recovery because you used Dr Kelly, and you are the first one that I know that did that.  I am curious about your recovery, your thoughts about the surgery, the hospital?  Did she perscribe an icing machine? 
Anyways it is nice that we have two Colorado gals going through recovery at the same time.  I hope that you can go visit Amy in Boulder.  I would love to meet her in person.

Have a wonderful day and again thanks for keeping up on the postings.  :)
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat