+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Doctors warning about post-op lifestyle  (Read 1954 times)

Mike D

Doctors warning about post-op lifestyle
« on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »
Hi all-
just been to the doc to see about the possibility of some stronger pain relief struggling with OE and waiting for an appointment in April with Mr Treacy, hopefully leading to BHR in the summer.
He's not my usual doc, so took the time to get my story.
I mentioned this site, and told him about the complete turnaround of lifestyle that resurfacing has given to many people, but he seemed reluctant to agree.
He asked me what I expected- I told him that just being pain free would be great but although I don't intend to play squash again, I want to carry on working (carpenter),
carry on motorcycling, and do some walking,etc.
He said to be cautious at all times when post-op.
Also said no ladder work or heavy lifting full stop.
I told him that I would have expected that with THR but he didn't seem to see much difference,which amazes me from what I read on here.
Nothing he said will alter my aim for a BHR, but I wonder if many of you have experience of this doubtful attitude.
Is it a lack of belief about resurfacing or a lack of knowledge?
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Doctors warning about post-op lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:52:17 PM »
I would definitely vote for a lack of knowledge.  It sounds like he is applying THR precautions to HR. 

I was told that I would have no restrictions at six months.  I will be a bit cautious to a year because the bone continues to heal and grow into the implant.

Good luck.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
Hi Dan,
I used to believe everything a medically qualified person told me until about 10 yrs ago.
I had some long term eczema that got really bad and all the docs would prescribe was steroid cream in increasingly stronger versions.
I tried a different approach and went to a medical herbalist at a Chinese clinic,who simply changed my diet and gave me a small tube of chickweed cream
 to soothe it until the changes kicked in.
I've had no eczema problem in 10 years.
I too, think some of them just don't know enough.
cheers,Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
I've been a heavy construction carpenter in and around NYC for the past 40 years.  I've been a runner and triathlete for the past 30 years.

I had bilateral BHR by Dr Scott Marwin on Nov 15, 2011.  Dr Marwin told me right off the bat that my heavy construction careerer was over.  He also told me that I can start back running in 6 months.  Seems contradictory at first until you realize how easy running is on your body compared to that kind of work.

It's five months since my last day at work and ten weeks since my surgery.  I never thought about quitting work, but I'm pretty happy about it and very busy working my my rehab.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:41:00 AM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
Mike from the sounds of it the gp you saw is just ignorant. I know there has been a study by Mcminn and Treacy that found at 10 years high activity levels had no effect on a revision rate.
When I first saw Mr Treacy last summer he asked me what I wanted to return to doing after surgery I explained boxing,judo,jujitsu,weights,cycling,some occasional running etc. He said yep that's fine. He said the only thing he doesn't like people doing is playing rugby or running marathons constantly. But he also said he had patients who against his advice did both and were still fine!
Gp's in the UK can be so ignorant mine I think is totally stupid! He barely has a grasp of human anatomy! So I wouldn't pay too much notice to what they said. Pay attention to Mr Treacy not your local kwack.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

John C

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
I think that when some doctors make statements like that, the key is to ask them why they believe that way. This will give you a sense of whether it is ignorance, or an informed opinion backed up by recent studies or extensive personal experience.
For example, soon after I had my resurfacing, I was talking with a friend who is an older orthopedist, and who, in his time, was easily one of the most respected orthopedists in the country. He commented that he was sure that I would have to give up my summer windsurfing career, because the amount of flexion involved would lead to a high risk of dislocation. His opinion was based on 40 years of being a leader in the field of smaller head THRs and their relatively high risk of dislocation. However, he had no idea about more recent studies showing that the dislocation rate for resurfacings is near zero. I continue to teach high level windsurfing in the high winds and large surf of Maui, and have had absolutely no issues with my new hip from this.
This man is no dummy, and is easily one of the leading names in the history of american orthopedics; but he was very clearly not a good source of information on the small field of modern hip resurfacing.
Another friend who is an orthopedist and who is considering a resurfacing for himself, said that he believed that I, as an informed patient, really knew more about resurfacing than most orthopedist, not to mention general practitioners. This in no way means that I know a lot, it just means that a lot of them know very little.
It is always good to hear what various medical practitioners have to say, but it is also good to ask them what they are basing their opinions on.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
Someone once said to me that gp's know very little about a lot and surgeons know a lot about very little. I've found that statement to be largely true.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
Mike D,
I also vote for lack of knowledge. I got my BHR 9 weeks ago & my surgeon said I can definitely go back to squash. I was visited post op in hosp by one of my surgeons patients who has been playing squash 4 times a week since around 10 months. He's now over 18 months post op and plays interclub to the same level he used to pre-op. He also plays with a similar graded player who's had a bi-lat.
I think the guys here are right, he's perhaps placing both THR & BHR in the 'Hip Replacement' pigeon hole. I would not be shying away based on his comments.
I also had the same experience with doctors/dermatologists & steroid creams for nearly 20 years for my psoriasis, then a couple of years ago went to a psoriasis clinic and it cleared up with diet change, plant extract & natural external oils.
Keep us posted mate.
Cherz
Simon
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:43:08 AM »
Fixed that.  I'm also at ten weeks. Thanks
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
Lack of knowledge.   My doc said I should be able to get back to everythgin I used to do, including soccer, skiing, climbing, and even heavy lifting.  That's not my every day job, like Woodstock, its occassional at work and a lot at home. 

Like John, I had a well-respected vintage surgeon that basically had no clue about HR. 

See what Treacy has to say, I think it will be more in line with what folks are saying here. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Mike D

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
Thanks guys- great to get this kind of feedback.
I really miss playing squash so maybe it will happen again.
I'll listen to the voices of experience on here all day long, rather than the slightly blinkered professional opinion.
Cheers,Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
Have a look on the Mcminn centre website mate. There are lots of examples of patients who patients who participate in high level sport. I believe there's a pro squash player amongst them! :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Mike D

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
Just had a look at that site.
There are some great clips of full- on sports post- op, it's  so good to see.
It's taken me a while to accept that I need this kind of surgery, but after coming on here and picking up on all the positivity around, I want it done asap.
Thank you all.
Right Ceramic THR
8 August 2012

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
Mike,

That's what makes this site so great - we've all been there or about to get there so understand the challenges. I scouted around surface hippy site for about a year before I actually posted. These guys & gals are extremely supportive & knowledgeable.

Squash was a huge part of my life. I meet my wife when were both playing at the District Super Champs. Three kids later... she still plays, my mates still play & I miss it. So one of my goals is to return to playing. I love the workout you get in such a small amount of time. Plus I enjoy the social side!

Cherz
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Mike as kiwi said we've all been where you are. When I was first told I would need a new joint I was 27! I was gutted it cost me so much in my career and general life. For a long time I looked into and researched as many new and gucci alternatives as possible before I finally realised it was a waste of time. At which point I turned my attention to getting the best surgeon I possibly could. I straight away decided on Mr Treacy as he's the most experienced in the world by a big margin. I also really researched the bhr as much as I could. I found it really reassuring that the bhr was designed from the outset to have NO post op restictions. And thus far I'm unaware of any scientific evidence that proved high level activity has any detrimental effect on the device.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat