+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One down. One to go w. Dr. Gross  (Read 8637 times)

mountaingoat

One down. One to go w. Dr. Gross
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
Ok folks, its Tuesday afternoon and I did my right hip yesterday with Dr. Gross here in Columbia SC and will do my left one tomorrow. I'm pretty out of it and sore at the moment and wondering how on earth I will ever manage after tomorrow. But, I remind myself that I wanted to have one recovery instead of two so I am just going to have to suck it up and deal for the next few weeks when it is going to be the roughest physically and emotionally.

Although my x-rays don't show as much joint space narrowing as others who are completely bone on bone, Dr. Gross said that my cartilage was worn down to the bone in one area and was very thinned in other areas. There was some fibrocartilage that had formed as a result of the microfracture procedure I had two years ago when I had my hip scoped but it did not look very strong according to Dr. G.

I've had some pretty significant issues with my low blood pressure which dropped dramatically this morning. I was very dizzy so I had to keep the walking to a minimum. I have to say - I know a lot of people have said that they had almost no pain with Dr. Gross but for whatever reason this hasn't been the case with me. It isn't unbearable but my leg is definitely quite sore and I yelped when I tried to get back into bed. OUCH! I also wasn't in a ton of pain before the surgery because of the injections I had last fall which helped so well I was tempted to cancel my surgery again.

So, I'm preparing myself for what will be undoubtedly  a tough couple of months but I know that by summer this should be behind me and I can look forward to lots of hiking, biking and maybe even some running with my new hips.

I'll update again after I get through the next few days.

Amy

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:54:05 PM by Pat Walter »

hernanu

Re: One down. One to go
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
Good stuff, Amy. Every recovery is different, all of us had good recovery in areas others had trouble and vice versa. I'm glad you're keeping your eye on the prize, that running around by summer.

One thing that helped me was that, yes, there is no doubt that it is not easy to go through all of the discomfort, limitations, etc. especially early on, but you are working on your future being pain free now, instead of looking back with longing at being pain free. Try to remember that those injections were just putting things off - you've taken control of things and are now leaping (well, with a walker, then crutches, cane and eventually, walking, then leaping) forward!

Thanks for checking in and I'm glad you're done today! All good from here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:57:13 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
Good luck tomorrow!  Having one down is a good thing as now you know what to expect. I too was very light headed with low blood pressure the day after surgery.  Kind of scary to be dizzy, I found I just had to lie back down vs. getting a shower the next morning. Best of luck in your recovery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »
Good for you!

One down and one to go!  I know that you won't forget but just a reminder to stay on top of you pain medication.  If you didn't already get your medication for home do it as soon as you can.  They'll be sending you on your way soon so make sure you have it all waiting for you at home.  Recovery can be tough, bilateral tougher, make sure you make it as easy as possible on yourself.  Tonight, just keep pushing that button.

Just think how nice it will be this summer when you can do all the fun stuff pain free!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Good job MGoat - BP always tanks in the hospital from loss of blood, to laying on your back for hours, to taking a multitude of drugs.  Keep up on the fluids, well, when they let you drink,  I suppose with number 2 coming up you've got dietary restrictions.

In and out of bed was very rough on my first one.  It's hard to keep the legs together, take it slow and get as much help as you need.  I found that in and out of bed was the problem, once up and once after the initial dizziness went away, I wanted to stay up because I didn't want to go through getting in and out of bed again.  I suppose while in purgatory you can't do much.  Once you get past tomorrow, you'll be able to take a little more charge of things and start the recovery (fluids, yogurt, walks).  I think, based on your outdoor activities you've talked about, I think you'll do fine.  Keep climbing the mountain, you'll get there.  Good luck tomorrow.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Hippyliz

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
Good luck tomorrow, Amy! You are in my thoughts and prayers! I had wicked low BP afterwards as well - the nurse told me it is very common with Dr. Gross ' patients. I can almost guarantee that 1 week from now things will be so much better. When you feel good enough, please post an update. We're all rooting for you!
47 yrs, LHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 1/16/12

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
Thanks for the report.  You are such a studette doing both at once.

I concur with all the advice.  Definitely stay ahead of the pain curve, especially after the second one.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lori.36

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »
Amy, been thinking of you and so happy to hear that you are out of surgery 1!  You r strong u can do this.  Wow.  Here for support mama.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Good luck on the second, Amy...

mslendzion

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »
Amy, best wishes today.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Congrats, Amy.  Woodstock is right......stay on top of the meds!  You won't need them for nearly as long as you think, but until then take them like clockwork.

Getting into/out of bed and/or a car was the worst thing for me, so you're totally normal.

Keep your head up.  With both done, it will seem impossible today, but.....really.....in a week you'll be so much better, and in two it will be unbelievable.  So, get through the first 5 days and you'll be good to go. 

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

einreb

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
I know that you won't forget but just a reminder to stay on top of you pain medication.

I made the mistake of declining some of the pain meds the day after surgery and regretted it.  My pain level really pegged the first night, but got better as I learned to stay ahead of it for a few days... then mostly off them after a week.  It will get better. :)

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

mountaingoat

Done and Done!!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
Hurray! I am done with the second hip at last! I got really nervous this morning when I woke up and nearly fainted trying to go to the bathroom and put my hospital gown on again. My IV came out and I bled everywhere and it sort of freaked me out since I have already been struggling with low hemoglobin numbers. I spent a long time in the prep room making sure my blood pressure was ok and then they brought me back to the OR and put the spinal in - then I don't remember anything else.

Dr. Gross came by and confirmed that my left hip was in better shape than my right. There was a small area of bone on bone but in  other places the cartilage was still there but just completely delaminated from the labrum - like carpet basically. Since I had already tried fixing that through arthroscopic surgery it didn't seem like I was going to get any benefit of trying that again. Lee told me before surgery this morning that my right hip looked pretty darn bad - the femoral head was nearly all bone on bone and there was a quarter-size area of no cartilage on the acetabulum. I actually can't believe I wasn't in more pain that I was given the damage.

I was so worried that I had made a mistake in doing bilateral b/c it seemed so overwhelming this am but Lee assured me that all the bilats say the same thing and then never regret their decision down the road. The first 2-3 weeks will be pretty rough and then as the initial trauma starts to heal I should be a little better off.

I've already got lots to look forward to in the way of recovery - a trip to Crested Butte in June to hike and camp with friends, a possible trip to Montana in July to float the Smith River in our raft and the best will be a full week in August in Sun Valley Idaho to celebrate my Dad's 70th birthday...where I plan to hike, paddle the main fork of the Salmon River, mountain bike, road bike and maybe even try some trail runs. At some point I still have to get my right shoulder scoped to fix some problems there but I can deal with it for a while so long as  I can walk pain-free.  :)

Thanks to everyone for their support in the last few weeks as I prepared for this event. I am still in total disbelief that those implants are actually in there now - it seems kind of surreal. I guess there is a part of me that feels the same way I did when I first learned I was pregnant over a year and a half ago...like, there is no going back now and life will always be different on some level.

I'll keep posting as the days go by.

Amy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
Amy

That's great news that both new hips are in place.  Take it easy and they will soon be healed.  You will have a great summer this year.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
Good job, nice to hear that it went well.

Yup, no going back now.  I hear you sis.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

tennisgirl

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Congrats, Amy.  Take it easy and let those wonderful nurses at Providence Hospital take care of you.

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
Congratulations! 

I can only speak from the experience of one hip but the first 3 weeks are the toughest.  I can only imagine how it is with both hips done.  You will feel like days of amazing advancement followed by days of no progress or even feel like you are regressing.  Keep your eye on the prize as you experience the ups and downs of recovery and rehabilitation.  Remain diligent but don't overdo it.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »
Congratulations, Amy! Sounds really good.  Sound hippy advice - work hard but take it easy. Confusing, sure, but true in every way. Congrats again....

Aerial

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
Congrats and successful number two. You will be doing great in no time!  Take care of yourself and let others help you as much as you need in the coming weeks.  You will feel so much better in a weeks time!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:52:08 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mountaingoat

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
Thanks Everyone. 

WOW, today I am really sore. I had a mini-tantrum earlier because I tried to get out of bed and my left leg (the one I had operated on yesterday) literally just wouldn't move. I tried standing and my knees buckled and it hurt like a bitch. I actually cried because it was the most pain and frustration I have felt in a long time. As much faith as I have in Dr. Gross, it made me a little paranoid that some muscle was cut improperly and that is why I couldn't stand up.

I know that in a few weeks time I will be doing a lot better in terms of basic function as the muscles heal but right now I'm pretty overwhelmed.  I was in great shape going into this surgery and worked out up until the day before surgery so I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble.  :( I feel pretty demoralized already!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat