+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: At the 6 week post op/ Dr. Knothe  (Read 1411 times)

ibbski45

At the 6 week post op/ Dr. Knothe
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
Reached the 6 week post op point and I ditched the crutches 5days ago and seem to be progressing well. I am very sore and stiff when sitting for a while and then getting up and incision has pain from time to time. Ive been doing the stationary bike now for almost 2weeks and leg has been getting stronger with leg lifts. Was wondering what kind of stretches will help with my ROM? Also heading back for the Left hip to be done Mar 1st
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:55:13 PM by Pat Walter »
RBHR Dr. Knothe Cleveland clinic

hernanu

Re: At the 6 week post op
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Sounds like good progress. I was sore until 5-6 months when I sat for a while. The incision pain is probably scar tissue, which needs to let loose; when you're ready, try a roller for the leg.

The bike is very good for ROM. As far as stretches, at 8 weeks I was done with home PT and in regular PT, the home PT stretches were very light - and only if you don't have the 90 degrees limitation.

• Lie on your back in bed.
  • Bring both knees up until bent to 45 degrees
  • Only if it's easy - put one hand under the thigh below the knee on the leg.
  • Slowly, only if it's easy - lift the left supported by the hand, towards the chest.
  • Stop when there is resistance, hold there to the count of 30.
  • If it feels comfortable, slide the other leg down to where you feel resistance.
  • Repeat on the other leg. Sure, it's unoperated, but your hip needs both movements

Again - not a PT or trainer, the best thing would be to get a good PT person to work with you. This is also at 8 weeks, this is not what I did at two weeks.

Ankle pumps are always good no matter where you are.  Side leg raises (3 sets of 30) are good for ROM.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

Re: At the 6 week post op
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
I have to agree fully with Hern on the PT.  If you go to a PT, they'll give you lots of exercises.  Most of my exercises at the PT's office was more about building strength.  Another good stretch and muscle builder are the hip thrusts.  Lay on your back and do the arch move, raising your butt off the ground.  That stretches the flexor and it builds some muscle.  I'm at 5 months and I think if I had actually done as much of that exercise as the PT recommended, I might not have some tightness in that area now when running.       
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal