+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Operative Consent  (Read 3163 times)

Annatrk

Operative Consent
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
Hi All,
Is it standrad procedure when signing consent for BHR that it say a THR will be done if something unforseen or unavoidable occurs during surgery?
My doc said I would be signing for both just in case.  Does everyone do this?
Thanks

Elaine Y.

Re: Operative Consent
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
Hi,
Yes it is very standard.... Mine said BHR with possible THR. That's just in case the surgeon finds something he had not anticipated. The biggest concern for my surgeon was how good the bone was. After having the BHR, my surgeon said that my bone was in excellent shape, shaved off a lot of arthritis, but my procedure was classic textbook.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Elaine Y.
RBHR - 1/22/08 - Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
Overseas in Belgium, you don't sign such a form.  You sign your name one place on the hospital admission form and that's it.  You choose the doctor you believe in and place your trust in him.  Of course it helps to know that several thousand other hip resurfacing patients have gone before you (over 3000 to date).

Just thought people would like to know the difference overseas.  You don't have the option to sue doctors overseas.  One reason their health services are less costly. 

Pat
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:52:45 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Rayboy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:34:10 AM »
Be sure to ask any question you can think of.  In my case I was told that leg length discrepancy was not an issue, but list an inch of leg length, which has been a significant issue in my recovery.  I am not sure what recourse you have if anything goes wrong so being careful in your choice of surgeon is very important.
Ray

idaho boy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:50:57 AM »
Hello,

the BHR or hip resurfacing as you know is just the shaving of the femoral head. A cup or socket is placed in the acetabulum to articulate with the new ball. Although the procedure usually goes smoothly, especially if your surgeon has truly found you to be a good candidate, technical (notching) and unforeseen (bone quality) errors could happen. He might have to resort to perform a standard total hip. Which by the way is not a big deal. We have patients in Idaho who ski, climb mountains, bike and recover jsut as quickly. Also, they can use just as big of a head (same as resurfacing but with a different attachment) and actually increase your potential range of motion (because the head/neck ratio is increased). So in the US, it would be standard of care to have you sign a consent for both.

If you didn't and something happened, your surgeon really doesn't have any bail out option and that is not what you want.

dockretschmar

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
That's one of the reasons I bailed on my first ortho choice.  When I got the paperwork, it said "a THR with a possible BHR"!

Keith

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats