+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alex's Hip Resurfacing / Dr. Gargaro  (Read 2175 times)

alex3

Alex's Hip Resurfacing / Dr. Gargaro
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:03:14 PM »
7 hours post op and feeling good. everything went well.  Thank you for all the support .  I'm officially part of the club now !
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:58:59 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Congratulations Alex.  Take it easy and stay in touch.  I look forward to reading your hip resurfacing story as you recovery.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

alex3

The post surgery drug induced honeymoon is over.  They hAd me hang my legs off the bed for first time.  it was brutal.  I wanted to do it on my own so I was in control of when the excruciating pain would come.  PRobably made it harder on myself.  Need to learn to trust the nurse.  Start pt today.  Not looking forward to it.  Any advice ?

mslendzion

It gets better each day. My first day of PT was not aggressive. They should work with you to give you tips to move with your current limited mobility. They also did not keep me in PT very long. Hopefully it will be helpful. Wishing you the best.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Boomer

Re: Alex's Hip Resurfacing / Dr. Gargaro
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »
Alex,

The journey is not an easy one. Sometimes you will wonder how you can make it through PT, other times you will wonder how you are going to make it through another sleepless night. Pain, exhaustion and doubt will challenge you for a week or two. We all made it through the same way you will. Just keep moving forward, following the instructions of your surgeon and PT. you will have temporary setbacks, moments of doubt and at times you will question your ability to carry on. But, you will keep pushing forward like we all did and one day you will notice the pain is less, your PT is not so bad, you are able to sleep a little better. You will build on the good news and your recovery will gain momentum. Every day will be a little better. You will be proud of what you are accomplishing and the people around you will be amazed at your efforts.

Stay positive, keep moving forward, no matter how slowly your progress seems. Keep posting so we can enjoy your early victories. We all want to celebrate Hippy successes. We've all been there.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Hey Alex, Congrats and welcome to recuperation. It rapidly improves, but there is a lot of work to do. You'll be good, but as you noted, trust the people who are there to help you. Avoid the pain when possible, accept it as the price of improving when not. You'll be fine and any pain you have will be gone eventually.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »
Alex- you are bring back those memories of sliding the leg off the bed or ottoman.  It was really painful.  I found that I liked to treat it like a bandaid, just rip it off.  It was also that way getting out of the car.  As everyone said it will get better.

Stay focused on where you want to be in a year.  Do your exercises diligently, ice, walk, ice, elevate your leg, ice, and rest.  Did I mention to ice regularly?

Remember this is temporary pain instead of the long term pain of the hip.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
Any advice?  Yes, don't be afraid to ask for pain medication.  It's very important to you right now and you can back off of it as things start to loosen up.  Take everything slowly and when you don't do that and things swell up or get really sore and stiff just remember that we all did that a few times and still got through it.  The pain should start fading soon and then you should start to see improvements all the time.  Last thing, listen to your doctor and do what he says.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

alex3

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
Thank you so much for all the kind messages.  I actually just read the last few since I couldn't remember all the places I posted.  I'm 6 days post op and doing pretty good.  The hip has been feeling better every day.  Yesterday and today I walked around the block.  Had my best night of sleep last night after putting two pillows under my knee on the bad side instead of one.  Also put a small one under my low back.  Took some of the pressure off my hip.  This site is so great.  so comforting and encouraging to hear from everyone who has already fought the battle.  thank you

Alex

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat