+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: British press and Sky News reporting big problems  (Read 5203 times)

chris finn

British press and Sky News reporting big problems
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
Sorry dont how ( or even if I can ) link from Sky or Newspapers online, but there is a big story just about everywhere concerning the hip resurfacing.

Apparently the metal on metal hip resurfacing was withdrawn in 2010 in the UK..... the year mine was done  ::)

An excerpt from one of the articles.......

"Reports that thousands of patients in Britain could be at risk of being poisoned by metal hip replacements has sparked an investigation by medical regulators.
The action comes after it was found that 'metal-on-metal' (MoM) hip replacements are feared to be more dangerous than previously thought - despite being given to more than 30,000 British patients already.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) revealed it had taken 'prompt action' over the safety concerns, but added the majority of people with the devices are at 'low risk of developing any serious problems'."

Anyone know anymore about the allegations???

Could this explain my pain...and the speed with which the surgeon is pushing through my MRI date ??

BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: British press and Sky News reporting big problems
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
I hate this negative press stuff and one sided medical studies.  The oxford study which showed terrible outcomes for resurfacing was based on I believe 30 associates learning hip resurfacing.  So go figure - why would they not have good outcomes without any experience. Also many inexperienced hip resurfacing surgeons had bad outcomes. We all know that and use the top experienced surgeons so we have the 96% retention rates for BHRs since 1997 when McMinn started doing them.

Please think about all of this.  If metal on metal hip resurfacing was withdrawn in the UK - how in the world did McMinn just complete 3333 of them?  It was in the news releases.  Mr. Treacy is still doing them along with many other surgeons.

I don't have a clue where these news stories get their info - but it is always one sided and incomplete. They are always against MOM THR devices and hip resurfacing.  Please take time and read the current 2011 Australian National Registry to see the current stats for BHR and other good hip resurfacing devices http://www.surfacehippy.info/nationalregistries.php

You can go to McMinn today and get a hip resurfacing and also to Treacy and many others.  McMinn will be in the US in February for AAOS and will be at Vicky's meeting.

Trust me - if hip resurfacing was withdrawn in the UK - there would be real information all over including reports from Smith & Nephew for the BHR, Corin for the Cormet and Wright for the Wright C+

Please don't post a link to this half truth article - I will remove it.  I know there are new people here and I don't think it is the job of this discussion group to scare the heck out of them.

Also, lets not get in a big discussion about how bad MOM devices and resurfacing is.  We have had that discussion and there are only 4% of people having problems with MOM hip resurfacing.

Pat
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:07:32 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
Hi Pat and Chris,
There does seem to be a feeding frenzy in the media right now. Probably good to post about it and refute the erroneous reports.

Same things here in US on CNN and a couple of other news TV stations - adds by lawyers at prime time asking people with MoM hip replacements (visual shows hip resurfacing) to contact them to join a class action suit against manufacturers. Freaked me out to be eating dinner and watching the news and have this add come up several nights in a row. Guess I watch too much TV. Of course my friends and family started calling asking me if I was ok. Scare tactics suck!

Think it will probably continue for a while until the manufacturers can mount an effective media campaign to refute false claims.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
Chris 

First, I am sorry that you are having problems with your resurfacing.  There are a handful of people that have problems and have not yet got them figured out.  My suggestion would be to get an appointment with Mr. McMinn and get a good second opinion.  He is one of the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the world.  I would not trust anyone that has not done many thousands of hip resurfacings.

Second, I have removed your second post.  I don't consider the information presented on this website, by live video interviews by the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the world, medical studies and the National Registries as rose colored positive information. They are cold, clear facts.

I won't let this thread become a discussion about how bad hip resurfacing is.  We all know there are a small percentage of problems, 4%, but there are 96% of positive outcomes.  There are between 1500 to sometimes 3000 unique new visitors a day to this website.  It is my goal to make sure they see 96% of the info a positive and correct based on facts.

Again, my heart goes out to anyone with problems from their resurfacings.  They need to get input from the top experienced surgeons to find out what is wrong.  The less experienced hip resurfacing surgeons simply don't have the experience to find the problems sometimes.  We also have to know the full story on anyone having problems.  How bad was your hip before resurfacing, how long were you in pain, inactive or even on crutches.  Some people that had very degenerated hips can take a year or more to recover.  I know a lady that had frozen hips and it is taking years - but each year she gets better and better. 

I am sorry for everyone that has pain and problems, but the solution will be from the top experienced surgeons to find the answers.  We are here to share stories and support each other. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
How do these news agencys get away with putting out such a one sided load of crap?
If MOM HR's have been withdrawn in the UK no one told me or Mr Treact when he did mine in november! ;D
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
It sells soap Danny, that is why, look how it got Chris upset.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
I know it sells mate but i just think its morally wrong. Why should they be allowed to print such tripe!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Many doctors are telling their patients to have the blood ion test and x-rays 2 years post-op, I think what you will find are doctors coming out with the stats on how many patients are exhibiting high metal ion levels.  My bet is those numbers will be very low.

This is a lawyers dream right now, some news media outlets are complicit with the ambulance chasers, it's a shame the truth does not come out freely, my favorite saying:

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Chuck

Hi Pat and Chris,
There does seem to be a feeding frenzy in the media right now. Probably good to post about it and refute the erroneous reports.

Same things here in US on CNN and a couple of other news TV stations - adds by lawyers at prime time asking people with MoM hip replacements (visual shows hip resurfacing) to contact them to join a class action suit against manufacturers. Freaked me out to be eating dinner and watching the news and have this add come up several nights in a row. Guess I watch too much TV. Of course my friends and family started calling asking me if I was ok. Scare tactics suck!

Think it will probably continue for a while until the manufacturers can mount an effective media campaign to refute false claims.

Luanna
Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
Agreed.

Actually one of the reasons I came out of semi-retirement was to help Pat, we've even had some plants who have tried to spread some of the mistruths around.

The overseas registry of hip implants do not lie, metal ions are not an isssue, it's just plain and simple.  Unless your doctor screwed up, you should not have problems, that is unless you are hyper sensitive to metal.

One of the things we say over and over again, don't pick a surgeon because he says he's is experienced, find one that truly is.  You cannot go wrong with Dr. Su, Dr. Gross, Dr. DeSmet, Dr. Bose and a few others that have a lot of experience under their belt with good results. You also cannot go wrong with Treacy or McMinn either.

If you have any questions, go to yahoo surface hippy and do a search for your surgeon.

Chuck

I know it sells mate but i just think its morally wrong. Why should they be allowed to print such tripe!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:06:16 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

Baby Barista

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
So I took the time to track down all the publications that ran this story and here's what I've concluded: for as many half truths that have been reported about MoM, there are just as many "half reads" and "half listens", from people who then come to these message boards and give out erroneous information, and claim they heard "the sky is falling"

The articles focused on the increasing number of ASR failures, and a move by the "Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to advise more MoM patients to undergo more routine screenings for serum colbalt/chrome levels... and more vigilant monitoring of people with the ASR.

THIS IS ALL GOOD STUFF!!!! Why?

Because what happened with the ASR has given resurfacing a bad rap. We need to hurry up and get all that crap in the past. My surgeon, Dr. Pritchett, told me in no uncertain terms that the ASR was a "piece of junk" and why he never implanted it. They rushed a device to market that cast a cloud over the entire industry and that is shameful.

Hopefully what is about to happen in Britain will finally allow us to be shed of this B.S. stigma surrounding MoM. And the mess that DePuy left in the litter box can finally be thrown out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:04:44 PM by Baby Barista »
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Luanna

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
Good detective work Baby B!!! 

Yep! Sure sounds like Dr. Pritchett all right. He doesn't mince words when he shares his opinions. Thanks for researching the articles and facts.

It make me feel awful that something like this has the power to upset Chris. I'm sure there are others looking for answers who see these articles and get worried and upset too.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
Just seen the report on the news. Very inflammatory and very generic. Even though to me obviously entirely based on the asr.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
Yes, I am FB friends with Chris, he's going through a lot with his hip and he is clearly upset.  Chris could be one of the people who are sensitive to metal or it could be something else, he's going to get further testing, although I have been asking him to find other doctors.

Chuck

It's a shame what the press has done, and @ Baby B, THANK YOU Baby B, good work looking up.... could you give us direct quotes and your corrections?

Chuck

Good detective work Baby B!!! 

Yep! Sure sounds like Dr. Pritchett all right. He doesn't mince words when he shares his opinions. Thanks for researching the articles and facts.

It make me feel awful that something like this has the power to upset Chris. I'm sure there are others looking for answers who see these articles and get worried and upset too.

Luanna
Chuck
8-6-08

chris finn

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Anyone know anymore about the allegations???

The above is from my first post....all I wanted was information. As Chuck says, I am still in great pain and experience a total loss of feeling in my leg on an increasing frequency.

I did not post the thread to cause trouble or scaremonger and I am extremely angry that, that is how it was seen.

I am in debt to those who have managed to find out more (Baby Barista to name but one, and I have taken your findings on board),and to those who have supported me I thank you too.

I will push for answers and a resolution to my problem.

I have come back to this thread, and walked away from my pc half a dozen times because I dont believe in posting whilst angry, but even now I am stil livid about the way I was treated..Im 47 not 4 and do not appreciate being dictated to.

I am going to give it some thought, but I am not sure that I want to continue to be a part of this forum.
BIRMINGHAM RESURFACE, LEFT HIP, 9TH DEC 2010,BY MR A. NORRISH...CONSULTANT-SURGEON, ADDENBROOKE`S HOSPITAL...CAMBRIDGE UK

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
Chris

I am sorry you have problems and have suggested you continue to get some input from someone like Mr. McMinn.  That's the best advice I can give.

As to me dictating to you - I will not stand for anyone to make the statement you made about me or my website.  I quote information from national registries and medical studies.  I do not make up info or just quote my opinion.

This is the statement in your post that made me remove the post:

"I am not trying to scare anyone, but surely anybody contemplating this
surgery needs to have the complete picture and not a one sided rose tinted
view."

I do not share half truths and rose tint any of the information.  My site is not one sided.  There are sections for personal stories for hip problems and revisions.  There are sections on the discussion group for severe problems and revisions.

I am sorry you feel as you do - but I am angry to have anyone tell me that I present a one sided rose tinted view of hip resurfacing.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
Chris,

You must understand, as far as MOM's go they have proven to be safe and nothing except for hyper sensitivity to metal ions or an implant that is shedding large amounts of ions because of the angle it was implanted are usually the only complications that occur because of the device being metal on metal.  Just because it's a MOM does not make it bad, and again and again, unless it's been installed incorrectly.

Of course the ASR device was a big problem because of the shallowness of the cup.

You must think of how your post would appear to someone who is new, I agree with Pat in what she did, but at the same time understand how you feel, it's tough to have problems like you have, you feel alone, you want to know why it happened, BUT it does no good to blame the whole baby along with the bath water, we need only throw out the dirty bath water.

We're not afraid of the truth, but let's wait to find out what is the truth. For now the news media is only mixing the dirty bath water of the ASR with the good BHR baby, we're not ready to throw both of them out.

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:38:14 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

Barbara

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
Chris I understand your concern and it's all very valid. I empathize with you. You are not alone.  I am one of that small number of metal on metal BHR failures. We might only be 4% but that doesn't matter at all when you're one of them. I am PM'ing a link to you.

I don't think information is presented through Rose tinted glasses on this site but I also know that there are valid concerns out there.

Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Boomer

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
The upcoming meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons has many seminars and presentations scheduled. Here are four that pertain this post on problems with metal on metal arthoplasty and resurfacing.

"The Painful Metal on Metal Hip Arthoplasty - Evaluation and Management"

"Hip Replacement or Hip Resurfacing: What's Best for My Young Patients"

" Alternative Bearing Surfaces: The Good, The Bad and The Indifferent"

" High Performance Hip Replacement. What is it? Who is the Right Candidate?"

The surgical community is aware that outcomes are not as good as they should be. They are examining this from many different angles to finds solutions for improvement. I don't see any hysteria on the agenda. Newspapers are creating some hype, but the professionals are working on scientific solutions. Stay tuned. The AAOS meeting takes place the second week of February in San Francisco. Your surgeon will be aware of the findings reached there. Ask about it. My first question to Dr. Rector at my March 13 follow up appointment will be "Did you learn anything new at the AAOS that will change how your approach hip resurfacing?"

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
Good post, Boomer. I think the more hard facts and professional analysis done will get rid of any misinformation and give us a true lay of the land.

I believe the facts from the registries, and that I made a great choice for myself but we need more action on not only defining the current state of affairs, but also how to improve them for the future. I also believe that from this kind of process may come ways for those of us who do run into problems to deal with the consequences of it, and how, if possible we can help each other.

We can't lose if the surgeons become better by self inspection.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Kiwi

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
Note by Patricia Walter: I am sorry, but I removed the url. I don't have links to misinformation. I am sorry, but new people need to learn about the positive aspects of hip resurfacing and the true problems which are all posted here and on the main website. It is just my decision and nothing to do with your personal story or posts

The current news headline about poison MOM devices Hit our newspaper.
I decided to send a quick email to my family ....to reassure them of a couple of facts so they did not worry.
"Same op - different device.
I got the BHR device which is also MOM (Metal on Metal). This article is from misinformed media & actually originated in the UK & US yesterday. For not the first time, they are trying to sell newspapers by scare mongering. The ASR device made by Depuy (MOM) had some issues - the cup was to thinner, which can inadvertently can create the metal ion issues they talk about. Records show that people who had the ASR device have had the most complications - 12% revision surgery to date. The BHR device & Resurfacing hip operation unfortunately got placed in the same "Poison" pigeon hole.
Top experienced surgeons have 96% retention rates for BHRs since 1997 when McMinn started doing them."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:22:24 PM by Pat Walter »
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal