+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: post op driving?  (Read 23535 times)

lynne123

post op driving?
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
I am one week and one day post op for LBHR.  I'm curious, when did you return to driving?  I feel well enough to drive a short distance but do not want push things.

Jennifer
LBHR
Dr. Su
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

mslendzion

Re: post op driving?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
I was cleared to drive on 1/26.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

PistolPete

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
I was about 2.5 weeks post op.  My 2nd day driving I actually got a flat tire and had to change it all by myself.  One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.  Just make sure you have enough strength to step hard on the brake pedal if needed.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
Like Pete, I started at 2.5 weeks on both hips. I didn't change a tire until lately, though - amazing, Pete.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
I didn't drive until about 4 or 5 weeks. My hubby wouldn't let me because even with 2 working hips I'm a danger on the road!! But seriously, if you step on the gas and brake with your right foot and you had surgery on your left leg....you should be able to drive as long as you are comfortable sitting in the car and being able to reach the peddles with your good leg while keeping your left leg at or less than 90 degrees.

Piece of cake. My doc suggested practicing in a parking lot first. That was a good idea.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »
I started driving my automatic at three weeks.  I had a left hip done so it wasn't too bad.  I could have done it earlier if necessary.  I think I started driving my manual at about five weeks.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Two4One

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks post op by Dr. Schmitt.  However, I elected to wait one more week for short 15 minute drives because I was very woozy and lightheaded from the beginning of my taper from my pre op 2 1/2 year history of hard narcotics. 

I was end stage, bone on bone bilateral OA, that is quite rare and located in the center of the deepest recesses of the hip socket and the tippy top center of my femoral heads.  All my films taken by dozens of doctors showed healthy, normal cartilage on the sides of my sockets and femurs, and those blind spots kept me undiagnosed and bedridden for more than 2 1/2 years, so my equilibrium was taking a beating from beginning my gradual withdrawal from the 2 years of hard stuff.  I felt pretty darn faint and was glad I waited to stabilize before getting behind the wheel!

Good Question and Cheers lynn123!

2-4
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:06:40 PM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

maxx6789

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
having my left hip operated, i waited three weeks but could have done it sooner. one consideration is to be "off pain meds" (although i am sure plenty of people brake that rule).
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Neild5

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
I had my left hip done and had forgot to ask before hand so when I saw the dr 12 days after surgery he said "As soon as you are off all narcotics you can drive."  I drive a car with a manual trans and drove home.  Had I known, I would have driven sooner as all I took for pain after I got home was Alive.  In 3 weeks I will have the right one done and in 4 weeks I hope to be back behind the wheel.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

brightside

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »
I was careful. Had a Right BHR waited four and a half weeks with husband in car.  Just did around town driving at 5 weeks.  More full driving at 6 weeks. 

WTW15

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »
I have my 2 wk post op  on Thurs and will let  you know what my dr says.  Reduced amts of meds and my head feels less foggy- my main concern.  I live in the mountains and have an 11 mile drive to the valley and then another 20 miles of hwy time to the dr office, so with snow in the forecast it may be a few more days.  Hoping within a week so that I can get to the mall to walk where it's safe for me (ie: no snow/ice/hills) and also start out patient PT. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:49:44 AM »
I drove an automatic at around day 16.  Dr. Gross said I (we?) could return to driving as soon as we could get into/out of a car - and operate it - without breaking the 90 degree restriction or the toe/knee inward restriction.  Therefore, he says to left-foot brake.

I do not left foot brake, as my knee splays rightward when on the gas pedal, and still rightward when I move it to the brake.

However, I do find it uncomfortable.  My butt gets kind of "cramped" as I even get near the 90 degrees.  So, a quick errand for me is okay, but not a 30 minute commute.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
Andy - one thing that helped me was my (very flat) ice pack. I was able to slide it under my leg/buttock while driving, it helped me to calm down during driving, since I had daughters to visit in college (about 1.5 hours away).

My handy dandy flat ice pack (thanks to my home PT for this):

• take a sandwich size zip lock bag.
  • take a hand towel
  • Wet the hand towel
  • Fold it flat to fit, slide within the zip lock
  • freeze flat(about 10 minutes)
  • Use it

It works well, melts in about 10-15 minutes (perfect for avoiding frostbite) and you never have to add more water to it. I've had mine for over a year now, used it many times.

lynne123

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'm still taking the pain meds after dinner.  But they are low level pain meds, Vicodin, and I've been on them for years as needed. So that's not much of an issue for me.  I feel physically well enough to drive as far as hip pain etc but I'm still a little shaky and wear out easily.  A friend took me out yesterday for a ride and to the store.  It was my first outing and I was a "unsure" in the store, kind of over aware of who was around me and a little uneasy.   So maybe I'm just a little too jumpy to drive yet.  I will take a test drive in the parking lot before I hit the open road - god help us all!!  I'm not a timid driver by nature either but I feel that way right now. 

Two4one:  I am really looking forward to hearing about your progress over the next few months.  You've been through a lot of pain and I can imagine just how excited you must be to see that light at the end of the tunnel.  How are you making out with tapering off the pain meds?  That part can be tough.  I have been on Vicodin for a couple of years for pain in both my hips and my back and have become somewhat dependent on it.   I have been trying to keep the addiction end of it at bay by only allowing myself to take it five days a week but not seven.  I can make it a day and sometimes push it to two days without taking it but by the second day without any I become VERY cranky and am a mess.  But once I am pain free I will do it.  I wish you all the best for your recovery! 

hernanu:  Thanks for the homemade ice pack recipe, especially like #6 ;)

Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
Great ice pack idea...I agree.  Thanks,

I have found that a small pillow helps in the driver's seat as well.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
Was not advised to drive until 6 weeks, but since my first one was my left, non-driving leg, I did drive a bit before then, with my wife in the car.  Mostly to beat the too-much-time-inside-squirrelliness by getting out.

The next one is my driving leg, I'll probably wait the 6 weeks unless there is some sort of emergency.

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
You know, I thought I'd have to hold off on my driving leg, but I found no problem driving with it at about 2 - 3 weeks (which my surgeon was fine with) ;don't remember when I threw up my hands at being carless and said F#$@ it and stormed out.

Well not stormed since I was on crutches and you can't make that much of an impact crutcheting along. More like a tiny gale or a breeze, but definitely had purpose.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
left hip - 2.5 weeks (cleared at 2 weeks)
right hip - 6 days (cleared at 2 weeks).  That was not a smart thing to do.  I actually lost my brakes due to the water pump going out (coolant on the brakes and maybe also the hydraulics going out) and I was on the highway.  I used my hand to push down on my right leg on the brake to slow down, but it didn't do anything, other than hurt.  The vehicle was a big dumb F350 that has almost as high a repair bill as I do for my own body.  :o  well not quite that much, but it feels like everytime I fix something, something else breaks down.

Note to all, don't drive until the doc says its ok to. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

gnoble1960

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »
Hernanu, does the ice pack help with the cramping that happens while driving(at least for me).  Hubby left town this past week and with 4 kids b/t 10 and 15, I was in car 6-8 hours/day and felt like crying.  I can walk 4 1/2 miles but driving 30 minutes puts me through the roof.  Left hip/now 5 weeks post-op.
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

lynne123

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:57 AM »
Ok, so now I can answer my own question  ;)  I was advised by my doctor to wait three weeks to drive.  I made it just a couple days shy of that.  I just couldn't stay in the house any longer!  Turns out driving was no big deal. But like gnoble, sitting for any length of time is tough on the hips and wears me out, so I haven't done any long distance driving. 
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat