+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: shooting pain  (Read 7441 times)

lynne123

shooting pain
« on: January 29, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
I am one week and one day post-op LBHR.  I am having persistent shooting pains in the groin area as well as down my thigh ending at my knee. It feels just like the sciatica I have from my herniated disc but in my groin and in my thigh.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It is scaring me.

Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Luanna

Re: shooting pain
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi Jennifer,
I had uncomfortable(ness) in my groin area for a few weeks while my hip capsule was healing. If it is shooting it sounds like a nerve is involved. I worked with a PT for the first few weeks post op to get nerves mobilized and moving. It helped.

You are so very early in your recovery and many nerves, tendons, and muscles are going to talk to you as they begin to heal. I wouldn't worry but if you need reassurance call your doc tomorrow. Better to hear from your doc that what you are experiencing is normal rather than spending your time worrying.

Kind of ironic - me giving you advice not to worry! I am the biggest worrier in the history of hip resurfacing!!!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »
I had a lot of pain in my groin and outside of the thigh for weeks.  At times it was shooting pain.  Most of the times it was just sore.  I was surprised how long it hung around.  It slowly got better.  Lots of ice helped.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Nemesis

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
While I was rehabbing I would occasionally hit a different angle and I would get what you now describe. I am at 9 months and while bringing my feet together, cocking my hip to the side, trying to pry my boot off with the other boot I got the pain. Only has happened a handful of times thou.

If it matters I was also a patient of Dr.Su 06/06/11

brightside

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
Don't know if any of this may help--this is what I tried to do early post-op
1)  Definitely stay on two crutches all the time for now
2)  Don't do any straight leg lifts
3)  When getting into bed scoot back as far as you can to passively move the operated leg into bed
4)  For relief on back, put one pillow horizontally under buttocks and a larger or body type pillow under the knees
5)  Ice at short intervals all thru-out the day (4-5 times)
6)  Don't stay sitting for longer than 40 minutes.  For comfort I sat on one or two pillows even though I wasn't instructed to do so.

lynne123

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
Thanks folks.  It helps greatly to hear that what I'm feeling is normal.  I spent more time icing it today and that has helped greatly. And I've paid more attention to how I move about.  Although I know we don't have any hip precautions with Dr. Su it seems when I let my knee fall inward I get great pain in my groin and the outside of the hip socket.  Maybe that is what sets me up for the shooting pain later in the evening.  Anyway, as long as it is normal then I know I can tough through it and it will pass.

:)
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat