+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Squeaking Hip after hard Exercise?  (Read 6175 times)

MattBrunner

Squeaking Hip after hard Exercise?
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
OK I did see this topic about 6 months ago, but it seemed to be someone belt not their hip.  So I thought I would ask again if anyone else is experiencing squeaking after hard exercise.

I am just coming up on 6 months post op and have been not only working out hard cardio and strength building at the gym, but started playing volleyball again.  In addition to skiing and other activities.  Yesterday I played about 4 hrs of volleyball and everything felt really good, sore mussels but really good.

When I got home my BHR was clearly squeaking when I walk up the stairs.  It sounds like a creaky door that needs oil and really freaked me out.  No pain at all just noise and vibration you don't want to hear in a joint.  I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this after heavy exercise.

I am going to call Dr. Pritchett tomorrow if I continue to get the squeaking, as he is the one who cleared me for all this activity.  Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this?

Matt

Nemesis

Re: Squeaking Hip after hard Exercise?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
Mine never squeaked but at times did not feel the same (not as free moving) if not well "lubricated".  This is especially important when working out hard. To stay "lubricated" I do at minimum 5 minutes on the bike even if I will not be using my legs in the workout (weightlifting) or 10 minutes if I will be using my legs. Also for every 90 minutes of exercise I will drink at least 22 oz of watered down gatorade.  If I am dehydrated my hip will not be "lubricated".

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
I have not experienced this Matt.  I have read of several people that have experienced this.  In every case that I read it was explained that there was not lubrication between the two components.  I want to say that the Ironman triathlete, Corey Foulkes, learned that he had to do certain low impact movements to work the lubrication into the joint before running.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

MattBrunner

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
Dan, I have heard dehydration can do it, and it is completely possible with about 1000 jumps and 10 volleyball games over 4+ hrs I just dried it out.  I would my cardio I do to warm up always gets the BHR loose.

It is a real strange feeling when it squeaks it actually vibrates and really going to be sure I keep hydrated and warm before playing.  I guess all the years of playing is what wore out the old original hip why shouldn't it also be hard on the new hip.

Matt

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
Hey Matt, the way I heard it and I've tried to do this is that you need to hydrate before doing hard exercise. By the time you're feeling thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Maybe if you load up on liquids before this, you'll be good.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Matt,

I had seemingly the exact same experience that you had, with my left hip.  I'm not sure how far out from my surgery it was, but it could have been about 6 months.  I had gone on a long (long for me at the time, meaning about 3.5 miles each way) Sunday morning hike that was steeply uphill on the way out and, obviously, steeply downhill on the way back.  When I got home I sat in a hot spa for awhile and then jumped in the cool pool water.  When climbing the steps to get out of the pool my left hip squeaked.  I couldn't figure out where it came at first from so I got back in the pool and climbed out again.  It was my left hip, and it sounded just like a squeaky door.  No pain, just squeak. 

I found that for the rest of the afternoon I could get it to squeak if I bent over like I was going to pick something up off the floor.  I tried to moderate the tone of the squeak so I could play a tune, but it didn't work.  When I tried to show people at work the next day it was gone, and it's never come back.

When I asked my surgeon about it he said that the cause is probably not dehydration, but that the lubricating fluid can get squeezed out of the space between the ball and socket by some types of movement, and that it has to work its way back in.  Nothing to worry about, unless it persists because it could be an indication of increased friction that can cause the surfaces to wear down faster and potentially shed metal ions.

Mike
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Luanna

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Matt,
I'd be very interested in hearing Dr. Pritchett's explanation and advice. If you do call or email him please post his response. Be cool if you were able to record it and put it up on YouTube if it ever happens again.

Thanks,
Luann
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
There's been a few threads on here about this. I've not experienced this but I do make a real effort to stay hydrated to try and stop this from happening. I also take hyraluronic acid too to maintain healthy synovial fluid.
Intrestingly hyraluronic acid was used as a lubricant in the tourture tests that mid med tec put the bhr through in the development. The test inparticular was when they suspended a 500kg pendulum on a bhr and tested how long it swung for.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

MattBrunner

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Thanks Mike,

I am glad that I am not the only one but still worried, it is still squeaking now 2 days after my playing.  I have and was drinking lots of Rehydrate liquid very good stuff and a lot of it in fact the stuff is used by many pro sport teams.

I am going to email Dr Pritchett and post any response I get. 

Hard to believe anything has moved with the implant, because nothing hurts and I was on the elliptical 45 mins today and it started squeaking again only after the cardio.  It vibrates like my truck door until I put silicon lube spray on it, but I haven't tried to play a tune.  Right now I am wishing the I had a grease fitting on it..

Danny, I have not heard of hyraluronic acid? What brand supliment do you find it in?

I will keep you posted if they want me to come in for an Scan, or anything else...I do have a big needle and some KY. (o:

Matt

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
Matt,
        its a suplement on its own but some joint formulas have it in them. I use this one, its called Lifetime liquid hyraloronic acid. I buy it from bodybuilding.com. Its one of the chemicals in the body thats responsable for healthy synovial fluid. The lifetime one is as good as ive found and is a berry falvour that actually tastes pretty good. I started taking it before my op and found it helped signifcantly. The only thing i would say though is i use about double the dose that it says on the bottle.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

MattBrunner

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
Dr. Pritchett says not to worry it will all go away in time.

I am going to learn to embrase my squeak learn to play tunes, change my screen name to Squeaky Hippy, and take some new joint additives.   ;D

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 5:56 PM

Subject: squeaking hip

I would not be concerned about squeaking.  Typically this becomes less common by one year

James Pritchett
bonerecon@aol.com

Luanna

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Love his response. It is soooooooooo Dr. Pritchett. 

I'm gonna call you SQUEAKER from now on. Dan is Running Man and you are Squeaking Man. Ok I'll stop now.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »
That is indeed classic Dr. P.  Short and to the point.  Efficient and effective.

Dan

PS. Thanks for the new moniker.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »
Matt - that exact same thing happened to me this weekend for the first time. It scared the hell out of me.  Here's my recipe for squeaking

Skied all day friday (first time since new hips and ok'd by Pritchett), maybe got a little too into it and did a few jumps off things I shouldn't have done.

Drank a bunch of beer with friends that night

Rehydrated the following morning

Shoveling several tons of snow/ice while helping the kids make Planet Hoth tunnels, all day

Drank more beer the second night, then while considering playing "bite the bag" but deciding not to, I slowly bent forward, mimicing the bite the baggers and noticed a very apparent squeak kind of a dull vibration from no lube in the bearing.  The rest of that night I had the squeak and even a little the next morning.  It initially scared the crap out of me, but because I read about it here, I could calm myself down and figured it would go away.  It did.  I think it was combo of over excercise and maybe dehydration.  Glad it's gone. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 02:59:18 AM »
Never heard anything but I have felt that "vibration" and notchy feeling a few times. Mine seemed to do it the most when I sit in the drivers seat and reach down to get something off the passenger side floor in my truck. Rest and lots of liquids seems to help for me. Also noticed it's usually sore when that happens, I've never felt it on a pain free day, only on the "really active might of over done it days"  It hasn't happened in awhile. Hope it quits doing that, good luck.   

katekosar

• Disney Olympic 2006
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
OMG, I am sooooooo glad I have this group of gimps to turn to !!!!!  I was out on the trails this morning, all muddy and slippery, and torquing my dear Zelda (left BHR) every ten ways to Sunday, for 4.5 miles.  So I'm getting changed, and I hear this squeak.  Long and creaky, like a door that hasn't been oiled for a while.  Thought it was my knee, which does the rhumba every so often.  Then it hit me.  Oh sweet Lord, it's Zelda.  :(

Couldn't wait to get on the compy to find out that I'm not falling apart, I'm not getting metal poisoning, I'm not gonna die, they're not going to have to saw off my hip or any other body parts.

Youse guys are the best.   Ten months and counting.  Other than my squeak, and a pretty limited range of motion, Zelda is hanging in there, and I'm considering a run at Ironman in October 2012.

Thanks again for the info.
G'day, all!

~~ kate

MattBrunner

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
Kate,

Just like Tin it is clear to me the squeak only happens after a long period of exercises, dehydration and impact that can push out a lot of the fluid.  I have had two other long workout (Beach Volleyball) session and both times had some squeaking again that cleared up after about a day.

I think Dr. Pritchett is more aggressive than others in clearing us for these higher stress and impact activities, but I'm not concerned about the squeaking now, even as freaky as it feels when it happens.  I figure its just like the break-in period BHR...(o:

My abductor mussels I can always pronounce feel great and being able to do the activities I love I can live with a squeak now and then.

Matt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal