+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recovery from Bilateral with Dr. Gross  (Read 10995 times)

mountaingoat

Recovery from Bilateral with Dr. Gross
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
I decided to start a new thread for my recovery. I am now finally back home in Colorado and reunited with my baby and husband after a rough trip home from South Carolina. My mom is here for a week and we also have our nanny who is helping out basically full-time as needed. So far, I've still been so sick and lightheaded from all the medication that I am in bed most of the day.

I'm already fretting about my left hip as I've got some pain on that side that concerns me a bit. My right hip was done a week ago and is starting to feel better slowly. My left was done last Wednesday and is giving me a lot more problems. I know that I am still super early in recovery and still in the initial "acute pain" phase but I am worried that I may have further injured my left hip over the weekend when I lost my balance getting up from the toilet and fell back onto it quite hard. I landed on my butt obviously so right where the incision scar is trying to heal. It wasn't as if I fell on the ground outside or anything like that but it makes me nervous since that hip seems to be quite bruised and sore. I've got both glute pain and groin pain going on both when I try to walk with my crutches and just laying in bed. It isn't terrible pain but its there. I left a message for Nancy at Dr. Gross' office to see whether they would like me to get an x-ray. I have borderline osteopenia in that hip so I know that I am going to be extra paranoid for the next few months about femoral neck fracture.

I know that it is pretty hard to loosen your cup or fracture your femur - I mean I think it takes ALOT of impact, right? Falling back onto the toilet seat six inches even in the first week after surgery would not likely to cause long term damage I hope?  :(

Other than that, I'm doing ok. I'm still feeling so weak and ill from the surgeries that I don't have an appetite and I'm forcing myself to drink water and tea very slowly. I'm usually a daily wine drinker but I haven't had a glass since before surgery which definitely is an indication of how I'm feeling at the moment.  ;) I've had a lot of surgeries in my life - two prior arthroscopic hip surgeries, a biceps tenodesis of my left shoulder and a lumpectomy on my breast. This has been far and away the hardest initial recovery even though I was super fit and healthy going into it. For a 36-year old former trail marathoner this has kicked my butt so far.  :-\

My goals for this week are very simple: better hydration, take a few showers, start eating something other than saltines and gingerale and wean down off some of the stronger pain killers.

Amy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Recovery from Bilateral with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Hi Amy

Thanks for starting your new story after surgery.

It sounds like the pain meds are making you sick and maybe lightheaded.  You could ask to try a different med.  Don't know what you are on, but you might want to see if something else will work and not make you sick.  I have big problems with codeine meds.  If you can't get different pain meds, get something for your upset tummy.  I always get extra meds for nausea.  Don't be uncomfortable.  You need to get back to eating and feeling better.  If you are dizzy, you could fall and hurt yourself.

You probably did not do a lot of damage falling back on the toilet seat, but you might need an x-ray if you continue to have problems.  Falling on your incision is a really bad thing.  They put a bed pan under me while in the hospital in Belgium and somehow my incision hit on the edge - the pain was terrible.  I was crying and screaming.  They gave me a morphine shot right away and did an x-ray.  That incision area and all around the hip is so so tender. 

The people I know that had a femur neck fracture had really hard, terrible pain.  One Gross patient jump up too quickly from his seat to get to the plane and heard his femur crack!  That was a long time ago.  So you would probably know if you fractured your femur neck.  A very few folks have had a fineline fracture and had to stay non weight bearing for quite awhile.  We will hope none of those things happened to you.

I hope you get to feeling a little better soon.  At least try to get your stomach under control and get rid of the dizzy.  That is very important.  Everything else will heal at it's own rate.

Please keep in touch.  Don't hesitate to call Lee or your contact at Dr. Gross's office.

Pat
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:19:40 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mountaingoat

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
Thanks Pat for all the tips. I agree - the pain meds are making me feel pretty bad and killing my appetite. I actually already switched from Nucyenta to Vicodin because I had a very strange reaction to the Nucyenta - it gave me blurred vision to the point that I could not watch TV or see a computer screen. I'm ok with the vicodin, I just think its going to take time to get my strength back a little and wean off some of the meds. Today has been a bit better overall. I actually walked up and down our stairs on crutches and that felt ok.

I figured that with a femoral neck fracture you would probably know it - Lee said it is like the same kind of pain as breaking your leg skiing -  really painful and traumatic. But I have heard about the stress fracture that can gradually take place over time. That is more what worries me with my lower bone density. I guess I'll wait to hear back from Dr. Gross' office as to whether to get an x-ray or not. I've already been through so much with my hips at such a young age that I was really hoping for a straight-forward recovery.  :-\

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »
I've read many a story where patients have fallen post op and were fine.

Your hip socket is pretty deep and protected by a lot of muscle and tissue, so is your femoral neck and the femoral component is press fit, so it's pretty tight.

You had a lot of work done on that hip so any impact could cause a lot of pain, it could even linger a few days.  If it were me, I would ice and elevate and wait a few days if it's still really bad I would ask for a script for an x-ray.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
Amy, this might be kicking your butt right now, but  things will be getting better practically daily and you'll see huge improvements as the weeks go by.  I'm at ten weeks and it's really great to be able to stand still and wait for something without my glutes being on fire.  I remember that I went to see my shoulder doc in NYC and I had to decide which would be more painful; walking or standing and waiting for a subway.  I walked.  I usually do, and now it's no problem either way.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Hang in there Amy.  The pain is most likely from the incision and not the implant.  You just had a traumatic assault on your hip(s) called implant surgery.  It takes months for that to heal.  Take it easy, let others look after you for the next week or two.  I promise you it will get easier.  Do you have a raised toilet?  If not, it is well worth your money to have your husband get one for you and put on the toilet.  I had one and my wife put up with it for six weeks.  When I went back to work after six weeks, I took the toilet seat off the tossed it away.

Mac 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

mountaingoat

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Just wanted to give a mid-week update. Thanks for all the well wishes and support. I'm doing a lot better. I finally seemed to turn a corner two days ago and I have weaned off the pain killers and have been able to eat and get around much better. Still taking Tylenol as needed and a vicodin if I need it at night to sleep  but otherwise the pain is markedly better. I still feel a little Post Traumatic Stress over the bilateral experience, I have to say, but I'm moving forward.

I ended up going to the Urgent Care department here in Boulder and getting an x-ray of my left hip just to make sure everything was ok after losing my balance in the bathroom and falling back on my butt/hip. Everything looked fine - they had an ER doc, a radiologist and an Orthopedist all look it and the consensus was that the implant looked fine and there was no evidence anywhere of a fracture.

Now the hardest part is going to be sucking up the 6 weeks on crutches. Its a monumental inconvenience with a 9-month old baby seeing as I cannot lift her or do much of anything worthwhile around the house but I know its temporary.

I did get the raised toilet seat and that has been super helpful. Now I just wonder what I'll do when I go back to work in a few weeks.

Of course it hasn't snowed all winter here but tonight they're calling for 10 inches....its going to kill me!  >:(

tennisgirl

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
Hey Amy,

You probably know this, but I have found e-mailing Lee or Nancy gets the quickest response if you are worried about something.  That Nucynta is an evil drug, I think.  Pain meds in general do not agree with me, but the Nucynta had the quickest and sickest effect. Watch out for your intake of Tylenol (does your Vicodin have Tylenol in it?)...the new standards are 3000 mg; it used to be 4000mg a day.

Yes, the raised toilet seat is a must.  I had mine for over a month.

Sending healing thoughts your way,

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
Amy, I have to tell you about what happened to me right after my first knee surgery.  The surgery was at HSS in NYC in January.  It was a major open surgery for a ruptured patella tendon and some other minor problems.  Everything went well and I was home to Long lsland the same day.  A couple of days later we had a really big snowstorm and I was worried about the house upstate.  I was afraid that if I didn't get that snow shoveled, it would freeze solid and we wouldn't be able to get in until spring.  My wife said ''No way, you just had knee surgery''.  ''Don't worry, I have a plan, I'll shovel my way in and I'll never have to walk through the snow''.  On Saturday morning, the plan almost worked out great.  Michelle trudged through the snow and got inside to get the house heating up while I shoveled my way in with no problems.  I got inside just fine but when I went back out to get our stuff out of the truck, I slipped and went flying down the stairs.  The knee hurt like hell and swelled up again.  I called the doctor on his emergency line and he told me go get in Monday morning first thing.  I never told him about the shoveling.  All I said was that I walked out the door after it was shoveled and I went flying.

After xrays and an exam on Monday, everything turned out fine for me and I'm sure it will for you too.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Aerial

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:12:26 PM »
I had a similar scare after I was well enough to remove the toilet riser.  The first time I used the toilet I sat thinking it would be high and since the riser was gone, it was not.  I basically fell onto the seat.  Man, did that smart and I was at just around a month!  Hope you continue to have a good recovery.  You willbe feeling a lot better very soon.  Just over a week was a real turning point!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Two4One

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
Hi Amy,

That sounds like a really scary time you had, worried about a stress fracture, being too sick to eat, and then just dealing with the week it takes to get the anesthesia out of your system.  It took me about 2 weeks to get any sort of strength back, so hang in there because you will start to see little gains like not having to use your foot noose to swing your legs in and out of bed. 

I see you are on crutches for six weeks; you know from your arthroscopies that you'll be tooling around on them very shortly, but the hardest part must be not being able to hold your baby, you poor thing.  I do agree with everyone that because you were in such good physical condition prior to your bilateral, Amy, I'm sure you will be enjoying the small moments of recovery.

For now, maybe writing down or giving some thought to your gains in your 'Bed PT' and continuing to give your focus to the 'easter eggs' you find along the 'hunt' of your recovery time, might help you not miss being as active as you're used to.  Also, for me, it helped a lot to make elaborate and detailed plans for pleasurable rewards I'd give myself along the path to mobility, and to mentally go through all the works outs that I'd soon be nailing with my new hardware.

Good luck, Amy, and my best energies and wishes are for a calm and peaceful, strong and steady, recovery that's just right for you.

2fer

"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

WTW15

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
Welcome Home Amy!  As 2fer said - take real pleasure in the small gains.  Don't try to get off the meds too soon  -  I did, got cranky and didn't feel good, but for sure get something to help the nausea. 

Do you have the 'ice claws' on the crutches?  I'll give you more info about them if you don't.  Since hubby's had 4 knee surgeries, ours are well-worn ;-)  Although I did move to a cane yestereday, I may use them if I have to go out in this snow.  I am at 9,000' and already have over a foot.  expecting 18" I think they said - good day for old movies and a few naps. 

If you ever want a visitor, let me know. I get to the boulder area frequently.  Hubby's a firefighter there.  Sharing a cup of tea and some cookies may be fun.   Stay Strong!!  It does get better, little by little. 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

mountaingoat

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Thanks WTW15. I'm glad to hear your surgery with Dr. Kelly went well.

I *truly* cannot believe that it just dumped more than a foot of snow here now that I am conveniently on crutches, unable to ski and unable to even leave the house! >:( It was 60 degrees most of January in the Front Range!!

Woodstock - loved your story, especially the part about never telling your doctor that you fell. I don't plan to chance it and try to do too much while I am this gimped up.

I plan to NEVER have hip surgery again. I am having a bit of Deja Vu at the moment because it is 3 years ago exactly that I was stuck inside from the end of January through mid-March while recovering from my first (failed) arthroscopic surgery on my right hip. The difference is of course that 3 years ago I didn't have a baby to care for in addition to myself.   :-\

Bitching and moaning aside, I'm definitely doing ok. I know its just time more than anything. By May things should be dramatically improved and I'll be enjoying the trails out back again. Its going to take a lot of patience and willpower not to overdo it but I really need to be careful of that given my borderline bone density. I've essentially spent the last 4 years of my life going through surgeries and recovery and the other part of it I was pregnant and then recovering from that. I'm looking forward to having this out of my life once and for all. I still have to schedule a scope on my right shoulder at some point this spring or summer but at least that doesn't leave me completely immobile and the recovery is a lot less significant, at least it was for my left shoulder.

I dream of the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho where I'll be in August....hiking, biking, playing with my daughter in the aspens, soaking up the mountain sunshine and the clear waters of the Salmon River.  :)

mountaingoat

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
This week definitely went a lot better than last and I'm feeling a bit more positive about things. Having the flu just took so much out of me that I was having a rough go of it. I've been getting out for short crutch walks around my neighborhood and doing some errands so I feel a little more human. I've started making plans with friends to get out for a drink or dinner which at least breaks up the monotony of all of this a little bit. I'm planning to go back to the office this week at least part time. I'm an attorney so I won't be doing anything too strenuous...just a lot of mindless paper-pushing ;) And as I had hoped, my husband and I have figured out ways for him to leave me unattended with our baby for short stretches of time. That takes a huge amount of pressure off as I just hate feeling like I am keeping my husband trapped babysitting for both of us.

I still really struggle with paranoia about every little twinge. Just this morning I was out walking just a short distance and I stumbled a bit at one point and landed too forcefully on my left hip. I felt a sharp twinge that made me say "Ouch" and now my leg is pretty sore although I can still put weight on it. I know *rationally* that mis-stepping and landing too hard on one foot should not result in a femoral neck fracture but my "anxiety brain" so often gets the best of me and the obsessive thoughts start taking over. I think because I've made this whole fracture thing out to be such a terrifying nightmare that I spend way too much time worrying about it and not just moving forward with my recovery. Even with my borderline bone density I still am only at a small risk for something catastrophic happening to me given that I went to a top surgeon and have not done anything stupid. But on some level the last 4 years of dealing with hip problems and  needing a joint replacement at age 36 I just lack some basic confidence in anything going right for me anymore. I never could have imagined only 4 years ago when I was still running 30 miles a week and doing ski trips across the Continental Divide with 50lb packs on that I would end up having two prosthetic hips in my mid-30s. I've gone through a lot of stages of anger and grief and now I mostly accept that this is just what happened to me but it has definitely impacted my ability to feel confident that I will ultimately be ok.  I guess that is why seeing a counselor through all of this is so essential. 3 hip surgeries and 2 shoulder surgeries in 4 years as my husband likes to remind me on a daily basis.

One other thing I wanted to ask people -  is low-grade aching at night fairly normal at this stage? I only have it in my right hip and it generally goes away as soon as I get up in the morning but I do have what feels like "bone pain" in the middle of the night. Its not even enough for advil or Tylenol but its pretty consistent for the last 10 days and only in one hip.

Thanks.

Amy

metoo

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
Hi Amy,

I just tuned in...  Good to hear things are back on track with you.  I also live in the Front Range area and I am not enjoying the return of winter either.  I wonder if Dr Gross's office (Nancy Smith?) would have any comment on the low grade aching? 

My surgery is scheduled in May with Dr Gross and I wanted to ask if you had any insights about flights between Denver and SC.  It does not look like there are any direct flights to Columbia or Charlotte, and the flights into Columbia look like they are all on smaller jets.  Did anything work out or not work out regarding your flight back after surgery?  I want to make the trip back as non-disruptive as possible.

Thanks,
Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

mountaingoat

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
Hi Metoo,
 My suggestion for flying to SC would be to take a direct flight to Charlotte and drive the 100 miles to Columbia. The reason for this is because Charlotte and Columbia are so close that it wasn't even worth the time in the airport during the layover - it would have been less time to drive and I wouldn't have had to deal with a small plane on the way back after surgery. Plus, the Columbia airport is a full 20 miles from the hospital anyway so you still have to drive for half an hour once you get there.

I do think US AIR flights direct from DEN to Charlotte. Maybe not but my flight went DEN-CHarlotte-Columbia so I would have just assumed skip the last leg.

Good luck!

Amy

metoo

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
Thank you for the information on flights.

I was pretty hard on my body when I was younger.  I have had shoulder and knee surgery and am now sheduled to have the hip worked on.   I have had to adjust my activities over the years and have faced some of the same questions you are facing now.   I decided what was important to me was to have some activity to stay fit and some activities for having fun (bonus points for a fun fitness activity).  I now ride a bicycle and lift small weights to stay fit.   Our entire lives are a continuous process of change and adaptation.    It is just harder when we have to adapt at quicker rate than we are used to.

Best wishes!
Right hip.  Dr Gross, 5/16/2012

Two4One

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
Hi Amy!

One other thing I wanted to ask people -  is low-grade aching at night fairly normal at this stage? I only have it in my right hip and it generally goes away as soon as I get up in the morning but I do have what feels like "bone pain" in the middle of the night. Its not even enough for advil or Tylenol but its pretty consistent for the last 10 days and only in one hip. - mountaingoat

Yep, I do believe it's normal; I still have it in my Right Hip, to the point where recently Hubs was wanting me to go to Commerce, MI, up by Detroit, and see Dr. Schmitt & get an X Ray.  For me, I think my Right Hip is normal because when I rested it at my Sis' for a night and two days, it felt great!  Also, as of now, my Right Hip is generally not getting to that 'stabbing pain' point anymore, and that we DO have to be on the lookout for!

If your Right Hip keeps acting up to where it feels like that deep down 'stabbing' bone pain vs. a 'hot knife muscle spasm' in your hip flexor, by all means call your surgeon!!

Unfortunately and unfairly, Colorado has left a bad taste in my mouth after being ripped off by flying pre op Bilateral BHR to Vail twice this year to see the famous Dr. Philippon, by feeling kind of pissed off about being dangled on his year and a half waiting list, and by knowing that A Rod never had to wait a hot funking minute!

Whether you're Coloradans or Coloradicals, you 'real' people from Colorado are helping me through my rage and prejudice against the "Vail Types".  I love your visualization, Amy, it's so beautiful, and it makes me want to take Hubs this summer to where I took Former Hubs, The Grand Tetons at Jackson Hole. 

I dream of the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho where I'll be in August....hiking, biking, playing with my daughter in the aspens, soaking up the mountain sunshine and the clear waters of the Salmon River.  :) - mountaingoat

Hubs has wanted to take me for a long drive through the West our whole marriage, and I think late this summer is the time!  Eight years or so ago, I drove out to Albuquerque, by way of Texas, on a flight away from him.  About a year and a half into my 'Gregor Samsa' Kafkaesque like incarceration, I gave my blessing and my heartfelt benediction, "Godspeed!" to Hubs and Bonus Son driving almost to California and back.  Now, I want to go to Idaho too, Amy!

I want you to know that you Colorado Hippy Women (and Men too) hold a special place in my heart because of your toughness and 'Can Do' general way of life.

Thank you for a beautiful Idahoan peace of mind today.

2fer
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:16:15 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
Hi Amy, glad you're feeling better, it is a relief to see progress. I found that I also had a lack of confidence; definitely felt weird pangs and twitches, was sore, etc.

The thing that built up my confidence was just doing the little things - the long walks, getting outside as much as possible, even doing things like strolling through a mall or some flat outdoors area (gawd, I sound like a dating site).

Anyways - when I started walking, the process of teaching my body to walk again gave me more belief not just in the immediate thing I was doing, but in reaching my goal of walking, then eventually running. You're on your way.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
my Right Hip is normal because when I rested it at my Sis' for a night and two days, it felt great!  Also, as of now, my Right Hip is generally not getting to that 'stabbing pain' point anymore, and that we DO have to be on the lookout for!

Now that is great to hear, 2fer! You can see what's coming up for you. The only pain I have now is muscular, some IT band issues when I really push myself working out.

Unfortunately and unfairly, Colorado has left a bad taste in my mouth after being ripped off by flying pre op Bilateral BHR to Vail twice this year to see the famous Dr. Philippon, by feeling kind of pissed off about being dangled on his year and a half waiting list, and by knowing that A Rod never had to wait a hot funking minute!

I didn't have the really bad experience you did with that, but I had the usual share of doctors telling me to do a THR and refusing to talk about HR. I was pissed at them after the surgery, but along with the feelings from my divorce, just decided to let'em go. I'm doing well, can't let the bad things in the past shape my future. He's doing just fine, you should be too.

Hubs has wanted to take me for a long drive through the West our whole marriage, and I think late this summer is the time!  Eight years or so ago, I drove out to Albuquerque, by way of Texas, on a flight away from him.  About a year and a half into my 'Gregor Samsa' Kafkaesque like incarceration, I gave my blessing and my heartfelt benediction, "Godspeed!" to Hubs and Bonus Son driving almost to California and back.  Now, I want to go to Idaho too, Amy!

I want you to know that you Colorado Hippy Women (and Men too) hold a special place in my heart because of your toughness and 'Can Do' general way of life.

Thank you for a beautiful Idahoan peace of mind today.

2fer

You'll definitely be ready by summer. I expect a full 'One report, maybe a cross country trip is something I might look at in the future.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat