+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Shoes  (Read 1408 times)

B.I.L.L.

Shoes
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
You guys ever experiment with different kinds of shoes ? I tried some of those sketcher workout shoes with the arched bottoms, they seem fine for walking but kind of suck when you're just standing around. I've been trying some different shoes lately, skateboard style shoes or like vans deck shoes have minimal padding and my heels start to hurt after a long day, the "running" shoes seemed to make the bones in the balls of my feet hurt, crocs are very comfortable but are the stupidest looking shoes on the planet (imo haha). Anyone hear anything bad about the sketchers and fake hips ? I've heard some horror stories about them and was wondering if anyone in here has heard anything about them ? Good or bad ?  Just curious 8)

Aerial

Re: Shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
I really try to stick to "good for the feet" shoes like Merrell, Naot and Clark's.  These shoes generally have an anatomical design, good padding and good arch support.  If you are looking for athletic shoes, I know Merrell makes some good men's and women's athletic shoes.  I turned to these shoes after a foot injury but found when my hip was bad they were equally important.  I'm sticking to these brands post surgery, they just feel good on my feet!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:53:36 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
I think bad shoes actually caused me problems, Bill. I was recouping my second hip, when my middle toe on the already healed (mostly) left started really hurting.

I think combining both bad sneakers (the ones that supposedly help tighten up your butt - bought by my ex-wife) and bad shoes, I wound up with a really inflamed toe joint and it actually thickened my bones in that toe joint, according to my podiatrist (who rolled his eyes at my choice of footwear). He prescribed anti inflammatories (only mildly helped) and better shoes.

He also suggested good insoles like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8R9EQ/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details (not endorsing them, just what I use). Those helped a lot, but amazingly, the problem went away when winter came and I bought these hiking shoes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUD2J4/ref=oh_o06_s00_i01_details. These have been like a dream (with the insoles, of course), forcing my foot to tread correctly, the ankle bindings take the load off my foot and the pain quickly left. I can even wear bad shoes again  ::) and mostly not hurt.

So I think it makes a large difference, especially when you are recuperating, and your body may try to compensate in ways we can't predict (too much pressure down the middle of the foot causes bone thickening? who knew? ). I know for a fact that this problem caused me to delay my recovery by some months since it slowed just about everything that would help my hip to heal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:54:21 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
For men, I would second both Merrell and Clark's. For athletic shoe, I would suggest the Asics "Kayano". I wore those in my marathoning days and now, in my hippy days! You'll spend about $120... but if you're not running long distance, they will last you for years. They have tremendous support and cushion.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
Sensible shoes, sensible shoes.

I clomp around in Georgia Boots all day long.  No problems.  I then wear steel-toed Carolina Boots in the field, not too comfortable.   

Been running in new, but mid-price Asics and they are great.  When the weather dries up a bit, I'm going back to my flat Converse all-stars for my everyday shoe.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Shoes.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »
Regular tennis shoes seem best, my hiking boots felt too heavy earlier on, but after about 12 weeks are good when out, but could only wear for a few hours due to hbad hip (upcoming BHR).  Work (dress) shoes with heel are worst.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

John C

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
Strangely enough, I spend very little time in regular shoes, since I am in ski boots all day all winter, and barefoot or flip-flops all summer.
However, the times that I am in actual shoes, I am very fussy. I only wear a very light running type shoe, with soft padding under the heel and foot, just enough arch support, and a very soft flexible sole that allows the foot to articulate as though it were barefoot. I want to be able to easily flex and twist the sole in my hands. Having the flex be very even is critical to me.
My own feeling is that for protecting joints and backs, the two big things are to minimize any heal strike impact, and to stay away from stiff soles that do not allow the foot to flex smoothly through the roll off. Just my humble thoughts on shoes and joints.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:37 AM »
Strangely enough, I spend very little time in regular shoes, since I am in ski boots all day all winter, and barefoot or flip-flops all summer.
However, the times that I am in actual shoes, I am very fussy. I only wear a very light running type shoe, with soft padding under the heel and foot, just enough arch support, and a very soft flexible sole that allows the foot to articulate as though it were barefoot. I want to be able to easily flex and twist the sole in my hands. Having the flex be very even is critical to me.
My own feeling is that for protecting joints and backs, the two big things are to minimize any heal strike impact, and to stay away from stiff soles that do not allow the foot to flex smoothly through the roll off. Just my humble thoughts on shoes and joints.

Wow when you say fussy you aint kidding hahaha. But then again I've bought 3 pairs of shoes in a month and I'm still not happy so...... I'll shut up.  ;D  I'll check the places mentioned in here and go from there. Thats good info about being flexible, I never really thought about it before, but the 3 pairs I don't like are all pretty stiff. I like the cush of the sketcher arched ones and those seem ok for hiking, but standing with them kind of bothers my back after awhile, they're like going from fiqure skates to ice hockey skates lol.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats