+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: CARDIO WORKOUT  (Read 15314 times)

zeke

CARDIO WORKOUT
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Hello,

I had my right hip resurfaced last Monday January 23rd. This is my first week of doing PT exercises at home I do the  exercises twice a day once in the AM/PM. I also started working out my upper body lifting light weights 5,8 and 10 pounds. I have done this for 2 days now and it has not bothered my hip at all...good thing I want to get back in shape, and get my hip strong ASAP.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a time line on when you were aloud to do cardio moves, or even ride a stationary bike?
I'm guessing it will be awhile since I'm still using my walker, but I'm walking good with it. I took a few steps without it yesterday, it felt good no pain in the right hip at all.

I'm tired of sitting around  >:(

thanks,
Zeke

jjmclain

Re: CARDIO WORKOUT
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
It all depends on your surgeon's restrictions. Mine had a 90 degree restriction until 4 weeks post-op, so it was tough to adhere to that rule on my bike trainer or spin bike...so I waited. Some people have been able to ride on a gym exercise bike without breaking the restriction. Just ask your doctor what you can and can't do. Sounds like you are doing great so far!

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
Welcome to the site, Zeke and here's something you may not like - you need to be patient.

Once I got going, I wasn't just sitting around (which is painful early on), but I definitely got house fever. So you're doing home PT with a therapist, so you have your group of exercises. Right now, you should be giving those insulted muscles and bones all the support possible. Ice, elevate and move - you're doing right with the exercises, I assume you're doing walking on that walker and plenty of sleep as possible.

As to the cardio, etc - first and always check with your surgeon, they all have different restrictions, and even per each person, there are different challenges - are you 100% weight bearing?

I didn't ride a bike until I started outpatient PT at four weeks out, when I went on a spinning bike for 10 minutes (no resistance) about every other day. The seat hurt at first, but we took care of that quickly. I would think more strengthening the hips, working on your gait and making sure your body is being fed well.

I didn't think of aerobic workouts until at least three months out. Other folks may be different, but that was my pace. I think most surgeons also put a limit on what you lift until certain amount of time goes by. Your body is still healing and the bone is still attaching itself to your device, so this early, whatever you can do to help that is much more important. The cardio comes in time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
I think it was about four weeks out that I was able to elevate my heart rate and start to actually consider it a workout.  Swimming was the first exercise that I could elevate the heart rate.  I could also get a good long burn going with aqua jogging.  I also did shallow water walking later.  I think I got on the exercise bike around the time my 90 degree restriction was removed.  I kept that to spinning with low resistance for more ROM work than aerobic exercise.

Take it slow and easy.  Believe me that it will come back fast once you are properly healed.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

zeke

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice I love this website!

I see my surgeon on Monday the 6th it will be 2 weeks since my surgery. I agree I think I will not be riding a bike until I do my outside PT. I have the rest of this week and all of next week of in home PT, so that would bring it right around 4 weeks. I'm trying to be patient it's hard for me I'm so use to doing what I want and when (I think you all know what I'm saying)

Yes I'm 100% weight bearing. For now I will keep on doing my in home PT twice a day, and my upper arms and walking around the house as much as I can.

This might be a weird question...every year we go to a super bowl party. (This will be the first time I've been out of the house since coming home January 26th from the hospital) anyway what do I do about going to the bathroom? since I have the raised toilet seat in my home. My restrictions are no twisting, crossing, bending 90 degrees. My husband and I were looking at the average wood chair I do my exercise on, which is within my restrictions and the therpits has seen it and said it fine. Its seems be just as low at an average toilet. Do I take my seat with me? or just make do with what is there? I'm just looking for your opionions on this.... ;D

Oh I should tell you I'm a girl my nickname is Zeke after Isiah Thomas, I played some bball in school...

thanks,
Zeke

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
Zeke,

I just stood over the toilet...kind of squatted without breaking 90 degree rule. You can even hold on to a wall or something. As an athlete, I am sure you've had experiences going outside, so I think you can make it work! ;D

June

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
I'll leave that to June, except that I had no raised seat, no 90 deg. restrictions, so I just used the wall / crutch / counter to position myself or to get up. I think at three weeks it should be ok to manage.

zeke

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »
OMG!!!! thanks what a great points... I know my friends bathroom and the vanity is right next to the toilet so I should not have a problem.  With all the camping etc...I have done this should be a piece of cake  ;)

Another question for ya...today is the 10th day since my surgery I tried using my cane this morning I walked a few step and boy did it feel good no pain in my hip at all. do you think its to early to start do this? I'm going to ask my therpits today as well.

Let me know what you think...again just looking for some advice I'm new to this as you all know!  8)

Zeke

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
As with all the advice here you results may vary.  With that disclaimer made, here is my experience.

I went to the cane exclusively too early in my recovery.  I noticed I was leaning on it way too much.  And I limped more with the just the cane.  I went back to the crutch and gradually transitioned to the cane, starting with short trips around the house.

The key is to make sure that you are stable and not needing the support of the crutch.  I think you will know when it is comfortable.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
Zeke,

As far as the cane, it all depends on what your restrictions are. I was 2 crutches 50% weight bearing for 3 weeks, then 1 crutch for 1 week, and at my 4 week post-op appt I walked out of the office without anything and no limp. I walked very slowly like a toddler, but was up to speed in a day or two. Just ask your surgeon if you weren't given a protocol.

June

zeke

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:00:55 PM »
thanks for the advice...I'm thinking I will stick with my walker until I see the surgeon on Monday.
One thing that is good is I'm not limping when I use the walker, I move really good.  :)

thanks,
Zeke

WTW15

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
Welcome Zeke!  I am at day 13.  I have found it more comfortable to walk with one crutch and really focus on hips level, stand tall and upright, heel to toe and just taking it slowly.  Went to the grocery store today w/hubby and used the shopping cart as my 'walker' and that felt good too.  Hoping to get my "driving" cert tomorrow ;-) 

Each one of us is different - but try to wait for each dr appt before jumping ahead of the post op protocols.  My home PT has cleared me to cruise the kitchen - taking sideways steps unassisted by just touching the counter top.  I do my toe lifts standing while brushing my teeth - total multi-tasking - helps take the brain off the actual exercise and builds those little muscles that need to fire off too. 

Good Luck with the SuperBowl party - Go PATS!  ;-)
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

stephen

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
I was in the gym on an elliptical after 4 weeks post surgery. At 8 weeks I was doing light resistance training and trying to get the hip ligaments to stretch out so I could have full range of motion. At 12 weeks when my hip still wouldn't go beyond 90 degrees I stuck myself into a leg press machine and piled on enough weight to get the ligaments to stretch. I ended up with 600 pounds on the maching before it moved and it started to stretch.

After having my BHR for almost two years now I can slam my hip with 100% of the weight I used to use before I had the procedure done. The dang thing can take me pounding it with 1000 pound reps on the leg press now as well as doing hard spin classes 4 days a week with no pain or issues. My doctor says I'm a bit weird with my recovery, but whatever works.....He is happy that I can do what I do now considering how bad I was before I got it done.

zeke

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »
Thanks for all the advice  :)

I'm going to see my surgeon today. I'm getting the staples removed and the DVT pumps removed I had to wear for 2 weeks.
I have be practicing with the cane around the house, I think I'm ready to move on from the walker and I will talk to the doctor about it today. I hardly take any pain med's anymore just at night my groin seems to hurt at night...I hope this does not last long. I cant wait to start working out again, sitting around is really hard for me. I started working out my upper body last week, and all is well. I'm going on the 3rd week of recovery and I hoping my therapist t is going to show me some new exercises to do this week.

thanks again,

Zeke

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
Good luck with the surgeon, Zeke - I'm sure you'll be allowed to move on to a cane or crutch. I didn't use a cane (except walking with my daughters, since they detested it  ;D ).

zeke

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
that's too funny!

My therapist was just here and see okay'ed me to start using the cane...so I'm really hoping he will too.

zeke

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
Went to the doctors on Monday he told me to start using the cane and when I feel like it I can start walking without the cane. I can start driving in about 2-4 weeks when I'm ready. He took the staples out. I start outside therapy in 2 weeks for a month. I still have all my 90 degree restrictions, but that's not stopping me from working out my upper body.

So it was a good visit to the doctors on Monday. 

Oh I almost for got I got the DVT pumps off on Monday as well...very happy about that.

Zeke :)

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
All good progress, Zeke - the world opens up when you can drive and get outpatient PT.

I remember going to a Jazz club the first time I drove. I strolled in (well, kind of strode in with my crutch) cool as can be  8)  and took a seat at the bar, looking slim. The bartenders (who I know) were very nice, but I just basked in the freedom after being so housebound. Then the music started and I was good.

zeke

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
Yeah! I cant wait to drive, but I know I will be a little scared at first. I've been out of the house a few times with my husband its been nice, but when I can do it myself you are right is will be a whole different world for me. I just want to get back to my normal life sitting at home all day is a drag, I can clean some now that I'm on the cane, but the restrictions get me every time. I have to have them for 3 months it hard to stay within them when I'm feeling so much better. I want to try doing sit ups (on the bed of course) not full ones or anything like that, but I don't know what they could do to my hip. what do you think? My tummy is the part of my body that does not get worked out everyday.

thanks,
Zeke

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 01:30:44 PM »
I'd stick with the PT exercises for now, you're not too far removed from the surgery.

I'm sure that one of the things they'll tell you in outpatient PT is that they will work on your core (they horrified me by telling me my lower core was 'weak'  >:( I was not pleased! ... turned out to be true), you'll be getting plenty of appropriate abdomen work. Just ask them for 'dead bugs'.  Patience, though is a good thing  now - let yourself heal and train with the Pros.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat