+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deep tissue massage - how soon?  (Read 6145 times)

Arrojo

Deep tissue massage - how soon?
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
I know after the resurfacing scar tissue will show up.  Deep tissue massages and ART (Active Release Technique) especially do wonders in breaking up that scar tissue.  My question is, how soon after the operation is it safe to begin doing this work?  Obviously, the area itself needs to heal first.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Aerial

Re: Deep tissue massage - how soon?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
I asked about this and was advised that deep tissue massage for the first 6 months was not recommended.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Wow - 6 months? What constitutes 'deep' massage? My PT & myself have been doing what I'd call deep, if not vigorous massage of scar tissue since 6 weeks. Maybe that's why I can't sleep on my side still?
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

aries

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
My osteo/physio (multi talented guy that he is) has been deep tissue on the scar to release adhesions and just referred me to a deep tissue masseuse to 'strip the leg'. I am 3 months tomorrow post-op.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
I've been having deep tissue massage since about week 7or8 I was advised that this would aid my recovery by one of Mr Treacys team.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Good to hear that Danny. My PT reckons that the pain & swelling I still get on my operated side could be Bursitis.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
How much are you icing kiwi?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »
Probably not enough Danny. I try to ice most nights after exercise - 20mins on - 20mins off, but have been a bit slack of late. During the day whilst at work, I rarely get the chance.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Use it or lose it!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »
Ice could well help mate. Is the suspected bursitis around the psoas area?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

tennisgirl

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
I too was told not to get deep tissue massage at or near the incision site for six months.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
Were you given any reason for this?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

mslendzion

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:17:53 AM »
This week my PT started working on my scar. It really hurts.  My doctor told me to start rubbing it now and also recommended using a tennis ball.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

tennisgirl

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
My understanding for not doing deep massage is that the tissues are still healing.  That is my surgeon's protocol.  Believe me, after my recent issue with exercise aggravating my hip, I don't want to do anything to impede the healing process. 

mslendzion

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
Tennisgirl, are you doing any type of massage on the scar, light or other?  How are your headaches?  Wishing you relief.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Arrojo

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
My understanding for not doing deep massage is that the tissues are still healing.  That is my surgeon's protocol.  Believe me, after my recent issue with exercise aggravating my hip, I don't want to do anything to impede the healing process.

I am wondering if the excercise pain was due to scar buildup that you need to get rid of.  It is all related.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Luanna

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
I started doing light massage at about 3 weeks post op. Now doing serious deep tissue and chinese cupping massage at 5 months. Breaking up the scar tissue and adhesions has made a huge difference to tightness and loosening of gluts and other muscles.

Don't think I could have taken deep tissue massage any sooner than 4-5 months. PT also uses a metal tool to break up the adhesions and scar tissue. Very nice feeling and goes deeper than hands can go I guess.

tennisgirl - how are you doing now? Headaches improving yet. What did your neuro suggest? How's the leg pain? Hoping you get some relief soon.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

tennisgirl

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I am still having a rough time.  I had a little better day on Thursday (less pain), but it came back with a vengeance yesterday and I had an awful night with little sleep.  I did check in with Dr. Gross' office on Thursday and Lee Webb told me not to expect much after one week (been on the cane and very limited walking).  I just am hoping that I will improve this coming week.

I am currently seeing a psychologist to help me learn relaxation techniques which is supposed to help me with my headaches and leg pain.  I have a relaxation CD that is specifically made for me.  What is difficult is the pain in my leg is there and it's hard to relax.

I've checked in on two other hippy sites and have found other hippies that have had setbacks like mine, so it does help to know I am not alone.  It's just hard for me dealing with the pain.  I am normally a pretty upbeat person, and the pain is turning me into someone else.  I tried muscle relaxers for two days, and all they did was make me sleepy and weird...no pain relief in the leg or head.

I am thinking about trying a very small dose of hydrocodone again with a good dose of Zofran before to try and get some relief.  It's been years since I took it, and it did make me somewhat sick, but not as sick as Nucynta and Tramadol.

I have not been vigorously massages my scar area, but I do easy rubbing in that area, and around the other areas that are hurting.  Of course, ice and heat on and off all day long.

Hoping for a better weekend and thanks for all of the concern,

Mindi

jjmclain

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
Mindi,

Are you on any kind of blood thinner? Part of my protocol was coumadin for 4 weeks and that gave me all kinds of crazy leg pains and restless legs. I was put on Lyrica (it is a nerve drug people with fibromyalgia use) and used it for a couple of days and it helped some. Just an idea.

June

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
Mindi,
         I was pretty much bed bound for the first 6weeks so unless something bad has happened like a mistake during surgeory I wouldn't worry(easy to say I know!). Everyone heals differently. I was a slow starter and now I'm doing well.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

tennisgirl

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Danny,

You are so kind to respond, as I have followed your recovery since the beginning and know your pain was probably so much worse than mine.  I thought I had high tolerance to pain as I didn't use pain meds post-surgery, but this is just about the worst I've ever had.  I've been assured my bones and the implant are perfect by my doc.

I've heard back from a few more folks on the other hippy message boards, and the theme that seems to be running is that recovery seems to be a race to see post and see who can do the most fastest, giving a false impression that one should be up and about, exercising in two to three months without pain.  One lady told me she went back to pain meds and two crutches around the eight week mark (she thinks PT hurt her), and it took over four weeks to be pain free.

I've been dealing with this for almost a month, and it's very trying.

June-I haven't been on any blood thinner since week three post-surgery.  I actually do have some Lyrica left over from a different issue, so I may try that.  I do remember it made me a little weird, but hey, I'm willing to try anything at this point.   I think I'm the poster child for intolerance to drugs.

As always, thanks for the responses and support.  It's been very hard on my family the last few days, and they are trying to be kind and helpful, but they don't understand like you guys do.

Mindi

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat