+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pisses me off...  (Read 2207 times)

David

pisses me off...
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
I saw Ernie in the pool today as I was finishing my workout.  I used to swim with him in a Masters group a few years ago.  Catching up, told him about the BHR I had done and how well I was doing after the pain and misery I was in.  He told me his hip has been horrible for a while, but because of all of the negative press he has seen about the "MOM" devices he has been afraid to even see a doctor to have it checked out.  Gave him all of the information I could, and think he left with some hope.
Amazing how the press manipulates this world...
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: pisses me off...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
That is one of the main reasons I am staying active on this website.

Thanks for making a difference.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

triathlete98

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
My guess is he's afraid to see the Dr. and the "MOM" excuse is just a cover.  I think it takes a sorta "leap of faith" with any surgery, let alone the BHR.  I mean I am personally willing to risk the "high ion" levels for a chance at being able to do just one more ironman.  For some its not worth it.  I find comfort is my decision to get the BHR. It is surprising how few people know what it is or that its even an option, most think I am getting a THR and I grow tired of hearing, "omg you are so young to get a total hip replacement"! Let people think what they want.  Enjoy the pain free laps.  I am looking foward to being able to do the breast stroke kick!  Haven't been able to even come close in years!  March 23rd...can't come soon enough.

David

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
It's not a "cover" at all.  Most people believe what they read in the NYT as gospel.  When it reports untruths or lessthan the full story it does an injustice to all.  That pisses me off too!
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
@tri98 - I have been starting to do more breaststroke kick and it is awesome!  I need to do more because my strength isn't very good yet.  It is much better than the half breastroke have sidestroke kick I used to do.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

danebuxbaum

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
I don't know what it is exactly that finally persuades one to make that leap. For me it was unbearable discomfort and impaired mobility coupled with Dr. Brooks' presentation when interviewed by Pat. He had a carefully considered and thoroughly voiced opinion on every facet and angle of this procedure and was obviously a huge believer in resurfacing over conventional THR. That did it for me.

WTW15

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
It was this website and gathering as much  info as I could, even when faced with a negative 1st BHR consult.  To get back to all my pre-surgery activities was first  on my mind and THR was definitely the last resort.  I am 2 wks post op and so happy with my decision.  People will either do research or not - but not much you can do once you show them the resources.  This Website is the BEST!!!  thanks Pat!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

stephen1254

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
I too am apprehensive about both the surgery and a MOM hip, as I haven't been in the hospital since I was born, and I can't imagine that any hip will be better than the one I was born with. Of course that hip doesn't work anymore. I've been skate skiing twice this week and am getting nothing more than an upper body workout because I can't push off with my right foot not can I glide with my right leg because it simply won't support my weight anymore.

So in my case, just like every other person on this site, there is no other alternative. I want to run again. I want to compete in triathlons again. Hell, I just want to be able to skate ski and use my legs. I hear you @Tri98. In my case March 27 can't come soon enough.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

David

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
My original point about this topic was that I was pissed off about the negative articles.  I fully understand the aprehension about going through with the surgery in general.  I went through the same thing before I got to the point because of the pain, that I threw my confidence and trust in the ring.
Best to you all awaiting and contemplating surgery, may you find your confidence and trust...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

triathlete98

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
Negative press creates turmoil and that sells.  People who had THR or BHR aren't going to read a magazine or newspaper telling them that their hip hardware is just fine!  They are going to read "new" evidence reporting the contrary.  It's a business that's all.  Bring it in on I say!  Good luck to all of us and may the BHR last us a lifetime.

bilateralbliss

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
I only scan read the rubbish news, immediately disbelieved and ignored it. Probably as had total faith :)
Be back to eggs are bad for you again next!
Bilateral BHR Dr McMinn 6Dec2011
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat