+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on starting running  (Read 6110 times)

MaryEllen

Advice on starting running
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new posting here, but have been avidly reading for 3 months.
I had LBHR on 11/2/11. All went very well. I was told by my surgeon that I could run at 4 months, but at my 6 week check up, his PA told me I could start at 3 months. I did, and had lots of leg/hip painthe day after. I didn't try again till this week (13 weeks post op), and the same thing happened. I can walk all I want with no pain, but running is just OUCH!
Is this something I need to report to my OS, or do you think it's just too soon? I am now thinking I'll wait (reluctantly) till 16 weeks to try again.

Thanks for any advice,
Mary Ellen
LBHR 11/2/11 Dr. D Palmer, Stillwater, MN
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

hernanu

Re: Advice on starting running
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
Hi MaryEllen, and welcome!

My surgeon told me not to run until six months had gone by. The way you describe it, your body is telling you it's early. I didn't really start running until about 8 months had gone by.

I inadvertently ran when taking my daughter at about 3 months, when we were going to the movies - she started running and I followed suit; my hip basically slapped me and said "I don't think so". Other folks have started at 6 months, but I don't know many (or any) that did at 8 weeks.

I'd talk to them, just to calm your mind, but you're going to have plenty of opportunities to run once everything is healed, so I'd just walk - you said it is painless and fine, I think 8 weeks is too early. 

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

MaryEllen

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply!!  I am now 13 weeks post op. I think you're right... too much too soon. I still wonder "what" is doing the hurting in there.. it doesn't feel muscular, it feels like "the hip"... I hope I haven't done something to it!
Mary Ellen
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
Probably the muscles and tissue around it. It may not be strong enough to hold things in place under that impact, so you got them mad at you. If it bothers you enough, go in to your doctors and have them look at it. Your peace of mind is worth it.

Again - not a medical person here, but we all had times when we overdid it, the pain subsided and we moved on. I gotta tell you though, the moment anything bothered me I was on the horn to the surgeon. Don't be shy about that.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
You can also start off by jumping rope to introduce your body to impact again. Just ramp up slowly.

best,

spencer

David

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
Hi MaryEllen,

I got the go ahead at 3 months to start lateral movement and some interval pick-ups.  It's been a gradual introduction for me over the past two months.  I'm probably jog/walking now at a 50/50 ratio.  There is nothing perfect about it, but each time out it gets better and less soreness afterward.  Doing some pool running as well and that is no problem whatsoever.
Patience is so difficult...for me anyway.
Best to you...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

tennisgirl

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »
Hi MaryEllen,

I'm about a week behind you and my leg is a mess after using an elliptical at eight weeks, and I'm paying the price for it now.  I've been back on a cane for a week now, and I stilll have pain all around my leg and groin area.  I even had another xray done last week because I was so scared I had done something bad to my leg.  Fortunately, that was not the case.  I've been checking in with my doc almost every week just to be sure I was okay, and it does help to get their feedback (mentally).

I'm also doing alot of icing to hopefully calm things down.  I think we are all impatient to get back to being physical, and it's very hard for me to sit still (which is what I'm doing most of the time now).

Take care,

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
MaryEllen-

There are two issues you need to address. 

The first is whether the bone is healed enough to allow impact.  Everything I have read indicates that the bone is healed well enough at 6 months for light impact.  The bone will continue to heal up through two years I read.  That is why my surgeon doesn't want impact until six months (right TinSoldier  ;) )

The other is whether your muscles have healed enough.  I know that I have been diligent about doing my exercises and some cardio.  I have been doing the elliptical, exercise bike, aqua jogging, and swimming.  I have done alot of balancing too.  I tried to do everything I could to strengthen and stretch the muscles I would need for running.

This week is six months for me and so I started training.  I am running 10 minutes one day and 15 the next.  This is a very slow pace for me.  Just trying to get the muscles reactivated after years of not being able to run.  These runs feel fine.  They seem to be enough to push a little without straining.  And I am continuing to do a lot of stretching.

I would not run before six months due to the bone issues.  In the meantime do everything you can to strengthen and stretch the running muscles.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

MaryEllen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Wow. I am really pushing things by starting at 3 months, aren't I?
Thanks for all the great advice. I will heed that advice. I SO wanted to do my annual 1/2 marathon in May, and now I know that's out.
Quick question... what are interval pick-ups?
Thanks a million to all who answered!!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

David

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
Interval pick-ups are when you would set a time (30 seconds, 1 minute or whatever) to "pick up" your pace then slow down and recover (walk, jog) for another set time and repeat.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

MaryEllen

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
They are also called fartleks meaning "speed play" in Swedish.  You can have fun with it.  You can pick intervals between mailboxes or telephone poles to pick up and slow down.  Also change the ratio of your faster pace to slower pace.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

MaryEllen

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Ok, I do know about farleks... !! When I COULD run, they were part of my training. I guess I wasn't sure how the speed work would fit into my return to running. Thanks for your help!
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12

David

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
Hey Dan,

In all my years of running I could never get myself to use that term  ;)
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
Mary,
        Personaly I think 3 months is way way to early. I'm no doctor but I do know that the bone density in the femoral neck takes 12 months to return to normal and I'm pretty sure the bone is remodelling for even longer than that. Derrick Mcminn the inventor of the modern hip resurfacing says wait 12 months before high impact and his results cannot be argued with.
I know it's difficult I'm climbing the Walls I want to do stuff so much but in the long run I think it's prudent to wait initially.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Matulis

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
I started at 6 months with the approval of my surgeon. That was mid November. The Illinois winter has helped me not go overboard, but I told myself to take it fairly easy anyway. I am going 3 to 4 times per week -- usually 3 miles. The doc said to use pain as my guide. So early on I would stop when I got some soreness and stretch and then continue. I can do 3 miles now without stopping. My pace is relatively slow -- 26 to 28 mins usually for 3 miles. But I tell myself, it's jogging really, not running. I did manage a 24:30 on a rubberized track, and that was the only time I have gone sub 8 for a mile. I think it helped some to ride my road bike religiously over the summer before I could run to get some muscle back. I started riding again at 6 weeks post op. A couple weeks later I felt confident enough to start clipping in again. I did a few 35 to 40 mile rides but most days it was 12 miles at 17-18 mph pace on a nice flat trail.
Mike Matulis
Illinois

jon

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Mary,
        Personaly I think 3 months is way way to early. I'm no doctor but I do know that the bone density in the femoral neck takes 12 months to return to normal and I'm pretty sure the bone is remodelling for even longer than that. Derrick Mcminn the inventor of the modern hip resurfacing says wait 12 months before high impact and his results cannot be argued with.
I know it's difficult I'm climbing the Walls I want to do stuff so much but in the long run I think it's prudent to wait initially.

I'm full on with Danny on this one.  Continues to look like US guidance is 3-6 months and non-US is one year.  I'm sticking to the year!

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
    If you can't stand it and want to feel the leg turnover, and gait, try the treadmill and support yourself with your arms to reduce the impact.  Still get the stride and toe-off without the impact.  I have promised myself not to bother with regular running until 6 months.  Just a little longer for both of us.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

JEMacpherson

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
I did the same post on a few of these but now see that they do seem to have more specific issues.  For me, the best advice I got from Dr. Pritchett at my 8 week release was "live your life".  I listen to my body and adjust as I feel things.  I completely changed my running style to be toes and mid-foot only with zero heel strikes ever, even downhill, with very little lift and a shorter quicker stride - gliding along with a bit of a forward lean to stay on my toes and using a lot of calf muscle.  I guess this is the "barefoot" style and it seems to work well for me.  I never run two days in a row and I currently limit my running to 35 to 40 minutes but plan to bump that up now that spring is here.  I did my first 5K exactly four months after the surgery - have had some occasional achy feelings (treated with Aleve) but never any pain.  Currently I'm 58 years old, weigh 165 pounds, and very happy with my progress.
Dr. Pritchett - Seattle
Right hip resurfaced on July 11, 2011
Born in 1953

Sarplummer

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »
I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Su on March 23, 2012.  I am an avid runner/triathlete/aerobics instructor.   I was told to wait six months before running.  I am up to walking three miles pain free.   I am going to start swimming next week and I plan on riding my bike a ton this summer.  I can't wait til I can run again but I am afraid of starting too soon and ruining my chances of years of running!  In the last few years my pain has been so bad that I couldn't run so I started teaching spin.   I have found that it's the only thing that comes close to that runners high.  good luck!  I have already registered for my 10K six months from now! :)
Sarah

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat