+-

Author Topic: New Hippy  (Read 14171 times)

johnd_emd

New Hippy
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
Well,

I'm sitting here in the hospital at Boulder Community Hospital, 2 days post op from my BHR resurfacing with Dr. Rector.  Couldn't believe how well it went.  Dr. Rector told me he got the device inserted perfectly.  Just what I wanted to hear.  It's been pretty amazing.  Had a couple walks in the hospital today, went up stairs, watched the snow fall outside, etc.  Now it's on to healing.  Pretty excited about it all. 

Special thanks to Boomer on here.  He and his wife put me and my wife up in his house and he and his wife have made this whole experience even more special, starting with picking us up at the airport, getting us to Dr. Rectors office for our pre-op visit, etc.  As soon as I'm discharged they've got their house set up for us to hang out in till I get my final check-up from Rector before we fly home (we live out of State). 

Anyway, those of you out there thinking of doing this, go for it.  First thing my wife asked me after surgery was, "Are you glad you still did this?"    And, my answer was an immediate "YES".   So, I guess that makes me a new "Surface Hippy" now.  8) 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

mslendzion

Re: New Hippy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »
Congratulations and welcome. It gets better every day and it's amazing to have the hip pain gone.   
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »
You are officially Hippy. Welcome to the other side!

Boomer

RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

WTW15

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:26:52 AM »
CONGRATS!!!!!!!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:54:49 AM »
Congratulations!  Take it easy and you will be up and running soon!

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
Great to here!  You will be back on the bicycle for spring.

I'm at 11 weeks bilateral and with the unbelievable weather in New York, I'm out cycling 3 or four times a week. I have to keep telling myself to go easy though or I pay for it with soreness for the next few days.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
Congrats mate! Now on to the important subject of letting your body heal its self!(thats the boring part but i think its worth it!).
Also thats really great of boomer and his wife!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
Congrats to you and many cheers for Boomer! You'll see the improvement quickly (but not quickly enough, I know) you are on your way back.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:18:50 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
That is great news!  Now on with recovery.

Boomer, you have gone above and beyond the Hippy call.  I hope that I can help the Hippy cause half as much.  Thank you.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

johnd_emd

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
I second that Gossack, Boomer went way above and beyond the call of duty.   This whole experience has gone unbelieveably easy because of Boomer.  I'm getting ready to get discharged and we're going right home to Boomers till I get my final check out and fly back to California.  I realize there will be ups and downs in the recovery period, but the process will always be about getting better. 

John
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
Boomer

I think it was wonderful to help John and his wife.  It is great when someone can reach out to help another in a serious situation like surgery in a different place than home.

Good Luck to both of you.   :D  Great to have people like you on the Discussion Group.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
Pat,

You were the first person on this website to teach me about paying it forward. I would never have been able to go through with the surgery without the help of your Hippys and so many others. Now I get the chance to help John and Emily through the recovery. So much easier when you have help and someone around who has been through it. I am looking forward to it.

Oh, and it is not a burden at all. There is something joyful in helping someone get through a difficult time. I don't think I was wise enough to understand that before I became a Hippy.

John and Emily will be he in just a few minutes. We're going to have fun with this recovery.

Boomer

mslendzion

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
Boomer, you are awesome.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

mountaingoat

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
Congrats. I'm only a few days ahead of you - had my bilateral on 1/23 and 1/25 with Dr. Gross. I live here in Boulder and arrived back in town a week ago. I am also looking forward to getting back on the bike this spring!

Amy

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »
John, Best wishes for a smooth and steady recovery.  It is an amazing process.

Boomer, wow, incredible, very nice of you.  This is an incredible community of people and you exemplify that perfectly through your kind actions. 

Did John get to check out your new car mats  :)?

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

johnd_emd

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
Well,

after a couple days at Boomers house, we flew back home.  Boomer hosted us with unbelievable kindness; although I think he rubbed it in a little uncorking that bottle of wine everynight for his wife, himself and my wife.  LOL  I did sneak a little sip from my wife's glass though.  Unbelievable to realize that the whole experience fell into place because of this web site.  Still hard to comprehend.

John
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
How are you feeling, John?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
Hernanu,

I'm doing great.  Stiff and sore, which is to be expected.  Just walked in the house from a 1/2 mile walk with my wife.  It's the third 1/2 mi walk I've done since surgery and I'm one week out.  So, can't complain.  Put some ice on it as soon as I'm done to insure continued healing and a decrease in swelling.  I'll walk again this afternoon to the bus stop and great my son when he gets off the bus.  It's about the same distance.  It feels good to just get out and move.   Thanks for asking. 

John
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

lori.36

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »
John,

Welcome to the other side.  I am also a patient of Dr Rector's and he is amazing.  I am thrilled that I chose him to operate on me.  Boulder Community Hospital was also another wonderful home away from home, the nurses were so much fun and took really good CARE of me.

Boomer,  Wow that is a big pay it forward, I am impressed.  How are you doing with your recovery?  I am thinking that I am going to come to Boulder in May for my 1st annual appointment, maybe we should have a mini hip resurfacing gathering:
Me, you, Bill, Amy and John..

L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Boomer

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
Lori,

Count me in on any Hippy gathering in Boulder. I am always looking for a reason to go to Boulder.

I agree with your assessment of the nurses at Boulder Community Hospital. I shared lots of hugs with them when I was visiting John, and got to see how they took care of him while I was visiting. And, Dr. Rector is starting to grow on me!

Boomer

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse
October 17, 2021, 04:16:50 PM