+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 weeks post-op, wondering if pain is "normal"  (Read 2513 times)

Jen from Tucson

10 weeks post-op, wondering if pain is "normal"
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

First, let me start by saying what a wonderful resource this site is.  Thank you, Pat.  I feel so much less alone when I hear about other people's experiences.

My question is, do you think it's reasonable to still have pain when walking and especially when sleeping?  My pain increases as the day wears on and I just can't seem to stay asleep, despite being tired.  The pain is sometimes in my groin, other times in the front of my hip, other times on the outside of my leg.  The pain is mostly in my calf when I'm lying down trying to sleep (doctor says calf pain is a result of shin splints, although I've had them before and they feel completely different.  I think I'm walking differently and maybe stressing the shin/calf).

I know it's not good to still be taking vicodin, but I've saved 15 for times when I just can't sleep because of the ache.  The OTC ibuprofen PM doesn't help, so I normally don't take anything unless it's really bad or I'm desperate for sleep.  Is it "normal" to still need pain meds to sleep?  Any other suggestions for OTC relief besides ibuprofen or naproxen?

Thank you all for making this community such a welcoming place for newbies like me.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 10 weeks post-op, wondering if pain is "normal"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Hi

I am not a doctor so I can't give you medical advice.  It does seem unusual to have to be taking Vicodin 10 weeks post op.  Have you asked your surgeon why you are still having pain.  Have you had an x-ray to see the positioning of your acetabular cup?  Who was your surgeon?

Have you had any back probelms in the past.  Sometimes refered pain can act as you describe.  Just questions to ask your surgeon as to the source of your pain. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
I agree with Pat, pain to the point where you need strong pain meds 10 weeks post-op does not seem normal, but it does not necessarily mean you are having problems with your implant, could be issues with ligaments or muscles.

I would ask for a script for a set of x-rays, ask for copies, especially if they are digital.  If you doctor cannot explain the reasons for your pain I would send off your x-rays to an doctor who is not affilated with your doctor, actually I would email them to Dr. Gross, Dr. Su or even Dr. DeSmet. 

Who was your surgeon?  Did you get a 6 week x-ray/appointment with your doctor, if so what did he say then?

In the end you paid your doctor and hospital good money for your operation, you deserve answers, so don't be afraid to ask pointed questions.

Chuck

Hi everyone,

First, let me start by saying what a wonderful resource this site is.  Thank you, Pat.  I feel so much less alone when I hear about other people's experiences.

My question is, do you think it's reasonable to still have pain when walking and especially when sleeping?  My pain increases as the day wears on and I just can't seem to stay asleep, despite being tired.  The pain is sometimes in my groin, other times in the front of my hip, other times on the outside of my leg.  The pain is mostly in my calf when I'm lying down trying to sleep (doctor says calf pain is a result of shin splints, although I've had them before and they feel completely different.  I think I'm walking differently and maybe stressing the shin/calf).

I know it's not good to still be taking vicodin, but I've saved 15 for times when I just can't sleep because of the ache.  The OTC ibuprofen PM doesn't help, so I normally don't take anything unless it's really bad or I'm desperate for sleep.  Is it "normal" to still need pain meds to sleep?  Any other suggestions for OTC relief besides ibuprofen or naproxen?

Thank you all for making this community such a welcoming place for newbies like me.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jen from Tucson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.  I had a follow-up appointment at 8 weeks and my surgeon (David Martin) said I didn't need xrays at that point.  I have another appointment next month and will talk to him more if the pain continues.

Jen from Tucson

Re: 10 weeks post-op, wondering if pain is "normal" - UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »
Hi and thank you to those who chimed in on my questions.  I think the increased pain in my leg, specifically my calf, may have been due to my return to work, which is physically demanding.  I've cut back on my time working in the field and have noticed the ache has also decreased.  I'm sleeping better and haven't needed prescription or OTC meds since cutting back.  So, thanks again, Pat for providing this forum.

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
Jen,

If your doc does not do x-rays, tell him you want them, especially if you are still having pain.  At 12 weeks plus you should not be suffering much from pain.

Besides, you need x-rays post-op so you have something to compare in case you have issues in the future, get digital copies of them too.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat