+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Edward Littlejohn in Los Gatos, CA  (Read 4092 times)

debkakes

Dr. Edward Littlejohn in Los Gatos, CA
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
Hi all -- totally new to this group! Found out very recently I have mod-sev OA in both hips, I am a rower and a runner and a biker and tired of being in pain. Intrigued by Birmingham HR, I wrangled a referral to Dr. Edward Littlejohn, who is listed on the BHR web site. Does anyone have ANY info on him? I wonder that he is not listed on the surfacehippy site, which makes me wonder how many of the procedures he's done...I'll find out on Tuesday when I see him for the first time, but for now, just wondering. Trying hard not to obsess about all this!
Thanks!

OtterDriver

Re: Dr. Edward Littlejohn in Los Gatos, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
Hello debkakes!

Welcome to Hip Talk. 

Don't know anything about the surgeon you're asking about, but just wanted to share a bit about someone not too far up the 101 from you!  I had my right side done October 2011 by Dr. Peter Callander and so far have had no problems at all.  (Not expecting any either.)  If you find you don't care for Dr. Littlejohn...Dr. Callander is in San Francisco...California Pacific Ortho and Sports Medicine. 

Do your homework and good luck to you!

Where do/did you row?

Bruce

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »
Hi debkakes! welcome and while I'm sorry you have this, you're in the right place. It's important to choose the surgeon well - there is a list of questions to ask the doctor in this site : http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php that Pat has put together, it will help you out during your appointment.

I would also ask you to consider going somewhere else if you don't feel comfortable with him. Like OtterDriver has mentioned, there are good alternatives. If they are covered by your insurance, there are other doctors that are highly experienced that you need to travel to, but would be worth the trip.

Good luck and welcome again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
Hi

I assume you are a woman?  If so, you will find the less experienced hip resurfacing surgeons will often suggest a THR instead of resurfacing.  If you are a smaller and/older, you definitely only want to use the surgeons that have done many hundreds to thousands of hip resurfacing.  Females have more problems with hip resurfacing especially if they are older and smaller.  Some surgeons just do a bait and switch for women who want resurfacing.  Explain how a THR is better.

There are very experienced surgeons in CA and you will most likely want them to do your BHR if possible.  The retention rate is 94% for BHRs worldwide.  That means that 6 out of 100 folks have problems.  If you look at the stats, the small men and women have the most problems.  So to make sure you are not a statistic, choose the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons if possible.

Good Luck.  Keep us up to date on your progress.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

debkakes

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
Thanks, all! I have my list of questions and will drill the good Doctor on Tuesday. I am female, 54, and not small :-) OttoDriver, I rowed until this season with Los Gatos Rowing Club. I am thrilled that if I have to have this done, there is a good, active community of folks to help me out. I've already gleaned a lot of extremely useful information. I may very well end up elsewhere -- luckily, my spouse has Cadillac insurance and I can pick and choose, pretty much.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat