+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New study on activity levels  (Read 14251 times)

John C

New study on activity levels
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
Cautionary study for some of us. I wish that this included more information on the nature of the failures. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-02/aaoo-esa020812.php#
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dannywayoflife

Re: New study on activity levels
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Great just what I want to read!  >:(
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
Here is an abstract of the press release.  See the original link for all information:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-02/aaoo-esa020812.php

Public release date: 8-Feb-2012 AAOS

Excessive sporting activity may impair long-term success of hip resurfacing
Patients should limit activities to maintain hip prosthesis

SAN FRANCISCO – ...the long-term effects of sports on a resurfaced hip were unknown.

In new research presented today at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), investigators surveyed 445 patients between one and five years after hip resurfacing. The type of activity, frequency and duration of the sessions, and intensity of participation were documented...  Patients with an Impact Score (IS) lower than 50 had a revision risk rate 3.8 times lower than the patients with an IS of 50 or greater. Survivorship for patients with a lower IS score at eight years was 96.4 percent versus 88.8 percent.

Large amounts of high impact sporting activities – such as daily running or tennis– can be detrimental to the long-term success of hip resurfacing arthroplasty...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:41:53 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
If that's the case it makes me wonder why I bothered having a massive op to get my life back!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
You had a major surgery to get your life back so you could be active and out of pain.  If  you had a THR instead of a hip resurfacing, your recovery would most likely be longer and you could have restrictions.  Sometimes we can't go back to our youthful years, we have to modify our lives while enjoying our rebuilt bodies. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
I certainly will not curtail my activities, for me it's going to be doing more and more not less and less, that includes possibly getting back to softball and basketball.

I'll take whatever I get.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
There in lies the problem. If I'm unable to return to my previous fitness levels then I'm unable to carry on in my job. Not only do I loose my way of life but my income also.
I thought there had been studies done that showed there was no effect of sporting activity on a device.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

MattBrunner

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
I am sure volleyball puts me on the high IS score side.  Dr. Pritchett tell me he thinks the current BHR can take a lot so I will go with 88.8% and keep living my life and playing my sport that was never an option without the surgery.

Plus being 6'3" I figure I have big BHR.  :D

Matt

PistolPete

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
This is a real bummer for sure.  That being said I'm going to be back at Martial Arts in full swing and honestly take the risk.  HOpefully I will be in the 88% and not the 12% of failures.  I can promise you that I will put more stress on this hip than 95% of people out there.  Hopefully I can get at least 15 years out of this thing.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »
It would be really useful to know the reasons for revisions.
This sort of thing does my head in. I was of the mond set that after 12 months I could go back to normal and not really have to worry about the dam thing for at least 15 years but seeing publications like this makes me think I might be in a wheel chair at 40!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
If you look at this, the success rate for people with an IS score > 50 is 88.8, for < 50, 96.4. That means that the great majority of hippys will be fine no matter how active. It doesn't say how the activity score is computed, so a lot of stuff is undefined here.

Like Pete says, I'll take my 88.8 and walk with it if that's what it'll be. I'm sure that in the Australian registry you have folks who didn't take it easy on their HRs and they had 96.4, so we are just learning more and more about this.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jeremy76761

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »

Interesting, but it doesn't define impact scores or type of resurfacing. It also leaves out the influence of resurfacing placement on the revision rate. 

JimK

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
Honestly, I'd see this as more encouraging than not.  Study someone with healthy hips, Sitting on the couch is more probably more conducive to hips not wearing out than running everyday.  Compare to a conventional hip replacement.  They are not even running (or if they are, not for long).  I'll take this surgery and these odds. 

cassiewoofer

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
well put JimK, there's a lot of people out there in jobs that want to downplay the success of resurfacing. People tell me I should not fly paragliders because it's risky. I will continue to do what I want on my hip no matter what stats they bring out...... unless ther'es a SIGNIFICANT difference.
 Like he said 88% as opposed to 96% is good news!
I think if you looked at the whole of the population who play sport and those who don't you'd get worse failure statistics and occurences of arthritis in the sporty types.
 Life is for living...... I don't want to arrive at the grave with a perfectly preserved body but one that looks like I actually did a few things with it while I was here!

hipnhop

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
I don't really care. i just want to heal up and run out.   I will do 100 races with the device(s) then they can exchange it for whatever.  I know I will not be able to a many sub 4 hour marathons but I'm going to get in a lot of good races, meet tons of cool people and have some fun.

"Everything that counts can't be measures and everything they can be measured doesn't necessarily count/"
-Einstein
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

triathlete98

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
Amen hipnhop I am with you.

Kiwi

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Squash will def put me in the 88% & like most here, I'll take that to get my life back. Maybe my large 56mm head will give me an extra few percent!
It would be good to get some more detail on this, but at the end of the day a BHR will buy us all some pain free 'active' time & I too are not planning on arriving in my grave with a perfect body.... way past that point already!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
I'm with Hipnhop.  I just want to run some races.  By May when I can start to run again, it will be three years off for me.  At 61 years old, I seriously do expect these new hips to last the rest of my life but if I can run some competitive 5K and 5 mile races and get a few age group first's, I'll be happy with how ever long these hips last, get whatever they put in next and move on from there.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Luanna

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:55 PM »
Well I for one am already in a higher category even if I never move a muscle again - being a 40mm head, small boned person of mature age but I'm not worried. I would like to see data separating out people like me and how the odds increase with the IS score for participants in my classification. On second thought....maybe I don't want to see those data.  :o

This is only one study. Other researchers will need to replicate the findings before I take it too seriously.

Good to see people studying this though.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
       I have been diligent in my cross training and strength work since my HR.  I am supremely confident that I will be able to run in another month.  The discipline to take things slow and steady and allow the hip to get even stronger should ensure that I'm able to get the most out of the implant.
       Not enough data in the group of 475 patients to scare me away from what I came for.  Selfishly, the only data that I need or want from here on out, is the data that I generate myself, with my improvement, and with my results -- right now that data indicates that an HR was the right choice for me and my family...I'd do it again tomorrow.

Curt

51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat