+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weight bearing after surgery  (Read 2877 times)

alex3

Weight bearing after surgery
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
What did your doctors tell you in regards to weight bearing on the side that was operated on ?  I'm getting mixed messages from my doctor, physical therapists, and nurses.  they originally told me that I could put weight on it as tolerated, so I've been putting the majority of my weight on it and started using only using one crutch a few days ago.  Had my two week post op appt today and they told me I should not be putting much weight on leg with the BHR.  needless to say, this is very frustrating for me. Any input would be appreciated.

Boomer

Re: Weight bearing after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
Alex,

I was weight bearing as tolerated and the PT encouraged me to use the operated leg as soon as it was comfortable. However, I would say when in doubt, use caution. Better to have a slightly slower recovery then have a setback. Early on walking is more important for circulation purposes than it is for building strength. As long as you are vertical and moving, you are in recovery mode. Be patient, don't worry and push the frustration away. You are on your way back! Listen to your body.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Usually unless you have really large cysts or you were suffering from from bad bone density most doctors will allow weight bearing as tolerated.  Not all doctors are the same, the best bet, listen to your doctor.

Did you by chance ask him why?   Do you know your bone density?

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

alex3

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »
I don't know my bone density, but I'm 34 and have strong bones.  No one has told me that I have bad bone density.  Maybe he's just trying to be overly cautious. 

jon

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
What did your doctors tell you in regards to weight bearing on the side that was operated on ?  I'm getting mixed messages from my doctor, physical therapists, and nurses.  they originally told me that I could put weight on it as tolerated, so I've been putting the majority of my weight on it and started using only using one crutch a few days ago.  Had my two week post op appt today and they told me I should not be putting much weight on leg with the BHR.  needless to say, this is very frustrating for me. Any input would be appreciated.

McMinn protocol is four weeks on two crutches (definitively), then four weeks on one crutch or cane.  I'm seven weeks post-op, feeling great, yet still take the extra measure to use a walking stick if I am going more than a very short distance.

As an aside, I feel that I could start some running strides already...not going to happen! This procedure is for the long haul...

Steady as she goes...

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »
I was advised to bear weight as tolerated. I am just over one month post op using a cane but gaining independence from it. You should listen to your doctor as other factors may be at play.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Neild5

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
I was told to use a walker till I felt comfortable with just a cane.  By 3 weeks I was doing 2 miles a day un assisted.  I did carry a fold up cane just in case I needed it but never did.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
My doc, more conservative than many, said 6 weeks on 2 crutches, with 75% weight bearing until off crutches.  If they are giving you inconsistent advice, I'd go to the Dr and get the clear picture on that, asap, to avoid a problems.  Many docs widely differ in their approach to this.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

jon

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
I'm with Dan on this one..

WTW15

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
Wow, it's all over the place.  My dr also said "as tolerated" and when I walked in for my 2 week appt with just my cane and nary a limp, they were impressed.  Today, day 22, i've walked unassisted a few steps without a limp, but with some tightness.  I will continue the cane use, but it's barely a tap now. 

I am anxiously trying to get in for out patient PT now, as I have done well with the home PT.  Oh, and I need a nap now after doing all my exercises - LOL!   :P
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
I was 100% weight bearing on each one immediately after surgery. They were done 11 months apart
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

dwbitt

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
I was 100% weight bearing after the surgery, but was instructed to use one crutch for 3 weeks, somewhat confusing to me.
I believe the cane was to help with my gait, it also let others know to give me little space in crowded locations.

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

jon

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
To be sure, one thing is to be weight bearing and the other is to determine whether that is the right plan out of the gate.  I was shunning the sticks early on (with enthusiastic ease), but the docs said that's not the plan.  One "step" at a time...   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:50:16 AM by jon »

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
Many doctors recommend one crutch or a cane, even if you are walking unassisted until your limp is gone.

Walking with a limp too long can cause issues with your back and other joints.

In the end, listen to what your doctor says unless he's telling you something really crazy, being a bit conservative is not crazy.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat