+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: sleeping?  (Read 1762 times)

midiowa

sleeping?
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
1 day to go now and the last couple nites sleeping has been horrible,  it really has not been that bad as far as pain until the last week, iam lucky, for some it sounds like lots of pain and months waiting for surgery. if i cant sleep now how will i sleep first weeks after? any inside tips would be great,{pillows,chairs,any things needed ? 1 day to go and just wanting to get every thing now so iam ready. nervous as hell but getting better with all great advice. just gonna check in monday and go along for the ride.

hipnhop

Re: sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
This is my second BHR. I am 7 days post op. Sleep sucks.  Just like the first BHR - Sleep sucked.  I don't consider it sleep any more. I just consider it periods of 45 minutes of power naps spread throughout the day. The good news is that by weeks three last year, I was sleeping like a baby. I mean I slept half the day and loved it. It  just gets better with everyday, just hang on and have fun.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06:45 AM »
For me, I slept on my back first 2 weeks with both legs elevated on pillows, and got what I could in a couple hour chunks at a time, at most.  I went to bed with fresh ice packs on the operated side, along with the pneumatic compression stockings on lower legs, and the noisy air pump stashed in the drawer of the bedside table and covered with a towel (noisy).  Medicate for pain right before bed. We have a memory foam pad that helps alot on the bed, 5".

The most disruptive thing early on was he urgent need to pee throughout the night, as the swelling fluid was being slowly purged from my body.

Natural to be nervous, it will go well.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

lynne123

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
No doubt about it, sleep sucks.  It really is like Dan and HipnHop say.  There was one thing, as silly as it may sound, I wish I had in the hospital but didn't have was backscratcher!  The pain meds in the hospital made me itch like crazy. That doesn't happen to everyone but it does me, especially with Percocet.  There I was laying in the hospital bed with an itch at the bottom of my leg and I couldn't reach it.  Then one on my back, and I couldn't reach it either. At one point in my madness I found a plastic fork at my bedside and was able to scratch my back shoulder.  One of the nurses was kind enough to oblige me at one point and help me with an itch on my leg.  I was like a heroin addict just itching up a storm. It's kind of funny now.
Also wish I bought the sock helper thingy.  I cannot get a sock on my left foot for the life of me without help.  Fortunately I have a neighbor that is kind enough to help me with that. 
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »
I was prescribed sleeping aids & I slept like a baby mostly. I figured for the first 3 weeks anything that helped me be comfortable would be of benefit. Your body needs rest & does a lot of healing when you sleep.
Like Dan I took ice to bed with me every night.
The sock puller is great to have by your bed too - you can pull stuff close with it, pick things up, put things on, adjust things & even scratch with it! For $20 it was my best post op prep purchase!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

lynne123

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
"can even scratch with it"  - lol, love it!   :)
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

WTW15

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
Day 22 - sleep for me still sucks, however I have to admit it's getting better....  that said, don't get depressed about it, take naps when you can and just accept that it's gonna suck.  I wish we had a recliner as I think that would have helped.  I've been taking valium before bed but hubby wants me to talk to the dr about something else.  IDK - I just want to be off all meds.  For pain just on Extra Strength Tyelnol now.  And I am just now able to roll onto the good side with 2 pillows between my legs and sleep a little on my side, as well as take the pressure off my low back.  A little laying on the op'd side also, but definitely not sleeping, just again taking the pressure off the back. 

I get about 3 hrs in bed, then off to pee and head to the couch.  Seems to be a good mix for me at this point.  You'll find your groove, but just know it's hard and don't get mad like I did the other night....... :'(

Does anyone know when it's safe to lay on my tummy?? 

Good Luck To YOU!!!!!!!   Overall I am getting better and better every day.  I just walked across the living room with no limp unassisted!!!! 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat