+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Basic anatomy lesson (no...not THAT)  (Read 1454 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Basic anatomy lesson (no...not THAT)
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
I started going to the gym last week, since at home I only have dumbells and I won't be able to a) bend over to lift them and b) be cleared to lift a pair of 65 lb dumbells for quite some time.

So, I joined the gym to use the weight machines.  It feels GREAT to be actually exercising, but I am wondering about the sitting position on the machines.  I don't break the 90 degree rule, but when seated, I wonder where the weight of my body (and sometimes the added pressure from, say, overhead presses) goes?  Is it just on the back side of the pelvis....on natural bone, or is the implant bearing any of this weight.

See, I don't know THIS part of anatomy very well, and I don't want to mess anything up.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hernanu

Re: Basic anatomy lesson (no...not THAT)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
I'd talk to your surgeon. I went back to machines but did not use the overhead press for a while. I used the bench and curl machines mostly.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

triathlete98

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
if your seated and your hip angle does not break 90 i would say a majority of the weight is supoorted by lower back muscles and ab muscles, some glute. I don't think you are at any danger (although i am not a MD) doing the seated weight overhead press.  Just keep your belly button tight and sit up as tall as possible.  If you can bring your feet underneath you to guarentee you keep that hip angle open even better.  But you can also use light dumbells and stand to do overhead press, while standing, if you are that far along.  That way you use light weight but still get a workout. 

tennisgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
If I can remember Andy, I'll ask Dr. Gross tomorrow when I see him.  I am so bored sitting around and I hope he can figure out why I am having so much groin and around the leg pain.  If I could do some upper body exercises, it would be great.  I just bought a gym membership and I'll have to suspend it if I can't work out at all.

Will let everyone know what the diagnosis is later this week.

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
I had the same question. For example - pull downs. Knees locked under bar but there is no weight on my hip. Just a torso pull as I return the weight to the original position. Wonder if this a problem?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
I did pulldowns at about 3 months down the line, Hip - no problems then.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »
I would figure that prior to 6 weeks there are no pulldowns, or any other exercises where you lock the legs under something.  I think at 3 months it would be fine.

I was just curious as to what is bearing my weight (plus the pressure of an overhead press) when seated.  It seems to me that it is not the hip socket, as I can still move my leg freely when seated.  But, not sure.

Unless I can get a definitive answer, I'll just avoid overhead presses until I hear.  I can do light dumbells (15 - 20 lbs) for shoulders.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Its a great question. I, too, feel nervous when doing overhead presses, even inclined bench presses because there is an added force place on the hips for stabilization, eight, etc. It is sad that PT (at least mine) don't have the answers to this. 

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

tennisgirl

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
I asked Dr. Gross about upper body work at the gym, and the key is to not use your legs.  Don't press down on them.  He demonstrated that if I extend my legs straight out, I couldn't use them to stabilize the rest of my body.
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal