+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: tranportation after surgery? How hard was it?  (Read 1567 times)

ZAP

tranportation after surgery? How hard was it?
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
My hospital is about 45 - 60 minutes away depending on what time of day you travel.  i was told after surgery I might want to pay for ambulance service $200 to take me home because sitting in a car for that period of time can make it worse or start to bleed.  Can you guys give me a idea of what traveling home after surgery was like?  Did you have some one drive you, or did you take the ambulance, how long did you travel for, etc?   $200 for total comfort is worth it, but if i really don't need it, I might ask for a drive home.  I think they said the problem with me is my height.  I'm 6'2, so i guess they feel I won't have any room to stretch out for the 45 minutes.

Any info is appreciated.   

thanks,

hernanu

Re: tranportation after surgery? How hard was it?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I had about that length drive afterwards, my parents drove me home both times. Then they stayed for a week.

I was fine both times. The first time I sort of stretched out on the back seat, that wasn't thoroughly comfortable, but I was fine as far as surviving it. The second time, we pushed the front seat back as far as possible and I stretched on that. It was ok as well. It won't be the most comfortable ride ever, but it wasn't too bad.

My only advice is to have people you like drive you, you might be a bit cranky and they might stay for a week.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

tennisgirl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
I am 5'9" and I rode home in the front seat the day after surgery. (Husband drove, of course!) With traffic it took almost five hours to get home.  I did push the seat back and had ice packs with me.  I also got out of the car once to stretch/use the bathroom.  Not too bad.

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
I had a friend drive me home. I stretched out in the back seat. I could drive but was on  pain meds and didn't want to risk an accident and hurting someone, including myself. I am 8 days out and driving everywhere now.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Normally the hospital won't let you go if they do not think you can ride home.  They usually ask where you are going.  If you put a plastic bag on a cloth car seat, you can sit down and easily rotate your body to get in the car.  That's the easiest way.

I was 9 days post op and flew 8 1/2 hours home from Belgium to Ohio.  Many people fly and drive after surgery.  Just make sure you get out and stretch every 45 minutes.  Cars like my windstar are easier to get into than pick up trucks or very small cars. 

I don't know of anyone who was bleeding because they drove or flew home.  You just take it easy.  Don't forget you should be stitched together or stapled together so bleeding would normally not be a problem.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
I had a two hour drive the day after surgery.  It was no problem.  We didn't stop and I was just a little stiff when we got home.  I had ice and put the seat back for a relaxed angle.  The pain meds were still working well so there was no pain to speak of.

I don't see any need for an ambulance.  Just make sure you have someone to drive you that has a car that is a good height to transfer in and out of.  Like Pat said, have some plastic to slide easier if they have cloth seats.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
Was ok and I had a 6-hour drive through rain and snow, the first time.  Took a number of breaks, used a lot of ice.  It wasn't too bad.  The second time we had less traffic, so about 5 hours and it was in August so the conditions were much better.  I think an hour drive would be pretty easy, especially if you just dosed up.  The hospital might even give you some anit-nausea meds to help if you think the narcotics with driving (riding) will make you ill.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

ZAP

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
I had a friend drive me home. I stretched out in the back seat. I could drive but was on  pain meds and didn't want to risk an accident and hurting someone, including myself. I am 8 days out and driving everywhere now.

Driving in 8 days, that sounds wonderful.  I don't know why they're putting the fear of god in me?  I think because the crowd at the orientation had full hip replacement lined up, the hospital might be covering all the bases. it was about 20 people in the meeting and me and one other person was going for resurfacing. Every one else was doing full hip replacement.

WTW15

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
1 hr drive home, have a chevy suburban which has running boards which made getting in/out very easy and just pushed the seat back as far as possible and reclined.  We live in the mountains so the drive up was a bit taxing as my body wants to "hold on" and I had to brace myself a bit, but for the most part, not a bad ride.  Just medicate up and take a little nap on the drive home :-) 
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

lynne123

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »
I had an hours drive home and it was fine.  My boyfriend drove me home. Like Tin Soldier suggested I had anti-nausea medication in addition to my pain meds so I wouldn't get sick, I have a propensity for that.  If you will be sitting up, as opposed to lying down in the back, I would suggest a seat riser cushion or pillow.  It helps take the pressure off the hip when sitting.  But you are right in that being able to stretch your legs out to some degree will be key to your comfort.  Just as long as the seat you are in can go back you will be fine. 
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz