+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossing midline?  (Read 1263 times)

mountaingoat

Crossing midline?
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
I am terrible at understanding the hip precautions. Can someone explain to me all the ways in which one would typically cross the midline? I understand that I should not cross my legs but if I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs as I was told was ok does that mean my legs must stay straight and not bend at the knee at all. Clearly, I shouldn't be doing any of the classic yoga seated twists which involve bringing your leg across your chest but its not like I'll be doing yoga anytime soon anyway.

Seriously, I am an attorney but I barely made it past geometry in high school! I have ZERO ability to understand visual/technical things like this  :-\ Needless to say, it drives my husband who has an engineering degree absolutely nuts.
I'm not even going to ask about sex because I'll never be able to visualize what is ok and what isn't ;)

Thanks ,
Amy

triathlete98

Re: Crossing midline?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
just draw an imaginary line from the tip of your nose down your chin, split the chest in half  and so on and so fourth til you get to well the end :)  basically don't let the any part of the leg go over to the other side.  Depending upon what type of entry they did the muscles that would support the hip joint when you cross over the leg have been compramised and thats when the dislocation would occur.  Definitly no Yoga poses. Keep the right side on the right and the left side on the left and you'll be good.

mslendzion

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
How many weeks until this restriction is lifted?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Two4One

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:59:32 AM »
Dunno, BUT it still hurts like the dickens to cross that midline with my legs and during Monday's Pool PT, K'y stressed Dr. Schmitt did not want me to cross midline.  I was thrilled to get some new pool PT moves, including one where you stand and move one leg in a half circle of 'a clock' being careful not to cross the midline and making sure to not go past '12 O'clock and 6 O'clock'.

Maybe it will be different in your case, mslendzion; however, I suggest you give Schmitt's office a call and inquire.  Please let me know what you find out because now I'm curious too!

'One
aka
2fer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:02:25 AM by Two4One »
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Two4One

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:48 AM »
Hi Amy,

Two words regarding intercourse: Doggy Style.  Over cushions and be comfy.  Really, to play it extra safe with maximum enjoyment for you, have your man be manual, ahem, and skip the ol' faithful.

I'm so happy for your recovery, and I'm really enjoying your story posts!

2fer
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear