+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: major "clunking" feeling 6 weeks post op  (Read 3020 times)

gnoble1960

major "clunking" feeling 6 weeks post op
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
Yesterday, as I turned to walk dow my garage steps, I slipped a bit.  I felt like I may have pulled muscles a bit, but I am not in any severe pain.  I am, however experiencing severe "clunking" feelings and limping again.  I have not limped for a week, except for after driving--I hate driving right now.  I have been walking 4 1/2 miles and feeling fine.  The clunking just won't go away.  I also have "warm/hot feelings in my lower leg.  Has anyone had anything like this? 
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: major "clunking" feeling 6 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »
I have had clunking feeling off and on during recovery.  I even had some yesterday during some aggressive stretching.  I think that is just the muscles slipping over the implant.

You may have overstretched the muscles to allow the implant to move around more than usual.  As long as there isn't any severe pain I would say that it will heal fine.

As always lots of rest, ice, and elevation will help.

I think we all tend to be a bit protective with our hips.  I just keep reminding myself that they had to drill my bone to attach the femoral component and had to pound my acetabular cup in place.  It would take some severe torque and impact to cause problems with that.  It is more the soft tissue healing that is the issue with minor concerns with the bone issues.

Are you scheduled for another progress x-ray?  That might go a long way toward resolving any concerns or doubts you have.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Hi gnoble, like Dan, I've had clunking on and off for a while, lessening over time. Now it just happens when I wake up and brush my teeth  :o . Some times when I exercised a lot, I did get more clunking, or when I was stiff.

I think, especially if you pulled the muscles a bit, your stabilizing muscles at 6 weeks are still very weak. Some rest, icing, etc. would give them some relief and get rid of the clunking for now. Just realize that it will keep happening, less so as time goes.

If you're worried about it, give Dr. Gross a call ( I called mine at every chance I got ), remember they are there for you not just for the procedure, but for a long time after. At the least you'll get some peace of mind from it.

The warm / hot feelings in the leg may be strained muscles. Not a medical person here, but have had quite a few sports injuries.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

gnoble1960

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
Thanks.  I tell myself that if it doesn't REALLY hurt, I am ok, but  the first time that I broke my pelvis, I worked in my office for a few hours, went Christmas shopping at the mall and carried my son's ice hockey bag to and from practice the next morning before admitting that there was a problem.  I played tennis after I broke my pelvis the 2nd time in the hip socket--doubles at 2 weeks and singles at 4 weeks, so I worry that I am out of touch with my pain receptors:))  I finished a tennis match after breaking my wrist in the 2nd game...the right wrist...yes, I am right handed.  So, I get nervous when things don't feel right.  I do go for a check up later this week.  Just looking for some restfull sleep the next couple of nights beforehand!
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
Sounds like muscles, if you do start experiencing shooting pains I would ask Lee for a script for and X-Ray.  Little setbacks are not abnormal, back off your activities for a few days, ice and relax, many times that helps.

If this does not change in a week I would contact Lee.

IMHO

Chuck

Yesterday, as I turned to walk dow my garage steps, I slipped a bit.  I felt like I may have pulled muscles a bit, but I am not in any severe pain.  I am, however experiencing severe "clunking" feelings and limping again.  I have not limped for a week, except for after driving--I hate driving right now.  I have been walking 4 1/2 miles and feeling fine.  The clunking just won't go away.  I also have "warm/hot feelings in my lower leg.  Has anyone had anything like this?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

mountaingoat

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »
I get "major" clunking too in one of my hips - oddly not at all really in the other (I had bilateral three weeks after you). I feel the clunk most when I lean a little forward when standing or shift my weight a certain way. I don't have any pain with it so I guess that is a good sign but like you I worry about walking around with a dislocated hip and not knowing it  ???

That's great that you are up to 4 miles. I cannot wait to get off the crutches and start really walking.

gnoble1960

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
I can not even imagine bilateral.  Yeah, the crutches do limit your distance.  My neighbors were laughing at me when they would see me 3/4 mile from my house on my crutches knowing that I had to go the whole way back :)  Stir crazy happens and people get desparate. I get to drive an 8 hour round trip tomorrow to Columbia.  EVERYthing will be clunking then!  Good luck mountaingoat.
Gwen
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

jon

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
I would check with your surgeon asap re: restrictions.  You are walking 4.5 miles per day one month after surgery? I was told not to exceed a mile (maybe 1.5) per day for a couple of months.  My guys shut me down as soon as they learned that I was pushing the mileage. I think that you will learn that you need to dial it down.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »
I think your possibly right Jon. Id check with your surgeon and cool it for a while.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz