+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain meds  (Read 2044 times)

midiowa

pain meds
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »
axycotinand hydrocodone. this sh#t making me sick i took extra stength tylenol, just not cutting the pain, need some help on this one , what should i take, thought i wouldnt need it but i was wrong.Brad.

Woodstock Hippy

Re: pain meds
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
You need to talk to your doctor, but I was told that Tramodol (sp) is the next step up from Tylenol.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

midiowa

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
waiting  for them to call 

jon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Tramadol worked for me. Messes with your regularity a little, but was right balance between strength and function.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
Tramadol is often used.  Ask about dosage.  It varies.  Mine was 2 every 6 hours for severe pain, one for less pain.  I took it for my open heart surgery.  I used Advil for my hip resurfacing.  You might want to try Advil - ibuprophen.  It works well for many people, it is an NSAID.  Normally you take 2 tables.  I have been told to take 3 by my dentists for bad pain and when I had bad siatiaca they had me on Vicoden, 4 ibupropen and a muscle relaxer.  So you need to make sure you explain to your doctor the level of pain you have so you can get the right dosage to help you. You should not be in pain.  Your body will not heal if you are in pain. I have read that many times.

You can also get meds to stop the nausea, but it would be better to get a med that doesn't make you sick.  Yes, you should be taking stool softners with all this stuff if you take it very long or you will have big time problems.

Good Luck.

pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
Get what you need, Brad - the medications will only be needed for a while, it makes everything else doable.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
Man hold on. in another few days you won't need that junk. It just creates more problems (at least for me - headaches, constipation, dry-mouth).  If you need them, you need them. I wanted them to help me sleep. NOT!!!!! Time brother.  Do you have pain when you lay still or is it just with getting up, twisting, etc,???????
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

johnd_emd

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
Midiowa,

I'm just a little ahead of you on the surgery (Feb 1)  I found a combination of things worked, that way I wasn't stuck on just one medication.  I take one 10 mg Oxycontin in the morning with a Celebrex.   Mid afternoon I take one 50 mg Tramadol with 1/2 OxyIR.
Then, at night I take 1 tramadol and 1/2 OxyIR again.  It's important to make sure you're still able to have a bowel movement, or that will cause additional pain.  I make sure I take a stool softener 3 times a day, and I've been using the Metamucil, and eating prunes several times a day.  So far, it's been working.  Either way, there's lots of different ways to keep your pain levels down.  If they're down you'll be able to move around better and that will help the healing process.  Hopefully your doctor is receptive to working out a plan for you that works.  Some doctors aren't so flexible. 

Good luck.
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
Iowa, how u doing?

midiowa

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:46 PM »
lots better today, they gave me a nausea pill goes under my tongue, taking tramidol, only using as needed trying to go without any, pain not that bad. day 4 still no bm. only got up twice last night. hitting ice hard. trying to hang in there what else can i do, just day by day.

johnd_emd

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
That's progress.  Staying out of pain is so important (IMHO).  When you're out of pain you'll get out and walk more, move around more and that will help tremendously with getting your bowels to work.  Try some dieters tea, that may stimulate the bowels too; along with the stool softener, metamucil.

Good luck
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

hipnhop

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
i took a laxative as soon as I got home. It worked!!!! DOnt know if doctor would recommend it but BM happened next day.  It gets better each day.  Today I walked a mile and a half with cane. Itching like crazy and hamstring pain. Will take it easy this weekend and try to get some real sleep. That's when our bodies goes into repair mode.

midiowa

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:25:26 PM »
good job hip, i took one earlier and drank some yummy prune juice and now my new name is goose! hard to be fast on crutchs but ya learn fast when needed.LOL. feeling good, got good sleep today, low pain, and pretended to be a christmas goose, aahh life is good!

tgrfan2

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »
I tapered off the heavy stuff over the last two days of the first week post op. Nurses told me not to wait for the pain to get bad though before taking something. It took several weeks before I could get a good night of rest in bed though. I could seldom get the pillows and my hip in sync for long.

midiowa

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
slept good today on my side, getting better, moving better, sleep is on /off 2-3 hrs time, ive got plenty of that(time), not rushing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear