+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Groin and Hip Pain Update  (Read 3915 times)

tennisgirl

Groin and Hip Pain Update
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
Hi All,

I made the trip to Columbia to see Dr. Gross on Tuesday.  After new xrays and a thorough examination, he said the implant was perfect, no issues there.  He did think I had bursitis on the operated side, and gave me a shot of cortisone (ow).  That is still pretty sore and he said it could be a week before I got relief there.

He did not think hip surgery or any exercises were the cause of my upper thigh pain or my groin/pubic pain.  I have to mention that I had mesh removed from my right groin in March '11 from a bad hernia surgery in '09, and Dr. Gross thinks there may be a connection there.  My only contention is I didn't have this awful groin/pubic pain until I started going to the gym and doing straight leg lifts and other phase II exercises.  Anyway, I am going to see a physiatrist next week to see if he can sort out my pain (plus I have a little back issue he needs to look at).

I did tell him I thought the straight leg raises were not a good thing and may have irritated my groin, but all he said was if they hurt, don't do them.  He also said I could have a massage since I was past three months...I thought it was six months, but I'm sure I don't want any ultra aggressive massage at this point.

So here I sit, still in pain, taking pain meds (wish I didn't, but I can't stand the pain right now).

Tis all for now,

Mindi
R Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 11/9/2011

hernanu

Re: Groin and Hip Pain Update
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »
Sorry to hear you're still in pain, Mindi, but it's good that the device is doing well. It sounds like you have a good plan to look at the groin pain.

I found massage to be very good, doesn't need to be deep tissue to help. Hope your headaches are lightening up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luanna

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
Hi Mindi,
I have to say that your experience sounds quite a bit like mine. It was around week 11 or 12 that I overdid in the pool and it's taken quite a while to sort it out. Hip pain at top of iliac crest and side of it (not bursitis) groin pain, and lower back pain. Also, I have a tendency to have nerves continue to fire once pain starts - neuopathic pain (hard to get them to shut back down after the initial pain event.

As far as I can tell it was several factors:

1. Very tight hip capsule that needed to be loosened - Physical Therapist (Huge improvements)
2. Very tight IT Band - PT using a metal bar to torture me but it's working (Better but will take more work) Tight IT Band pulls all the muscles out of wack and can cause lots of pain in lower back, leg, etc.
3. Scar tissue adhesions - PT using metal tool to loosen it up and massage therapist using massage and cupping to get rid of adhesions. (Amazing difference)
4. Poor core muscles especially core cores - pelvic muscles - Kegels (fires lower back vertebrae muscles and gets them out of spasm)
5. And of course all the other rehab PT exercises in addition to lots of walking and stationary bike work.

So far things are improving with this routine. Hope things turn around for you too and quickly. Being in chronic pain is no fun. It's so frustrating to know that the device is perfect but you still hurt. It's muscles, tendons, and nerves. Took me several months to finally realize that and some pain relief as well.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

tennisgirl

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
Hernan and Luanna,

Yeah, the mental toll is almost as bad as the physical.  Dr. Gross didn't think PT was necessary (don't think he is high on it in general), but I'm not getting any better, and the pain is the same.  I'll probably try massage and get a PT script if I don't think in the next week there is any improvement.  I want to get off the pain meds (it's been six days).  They are killing my appetite and I'm losing weight (didn't need to).  They also make me nauseous, but with zofran I can tolerate them and they do help some.

I am allowed to do upper body exercises as long as I don't engage my hips and use my legs, so that is good.  I was so bored sitting around.  I'm using my energy to do housework, which pretty much fell apart the last three weeks.

I have been seeing a psychologist to help me deal with the pain and anxiety and what she said to me is the following:

1.  It's not life threatening
2.  It's not catastrophic (although at times, I still feel that way)
3.  Other people have come through this (I told hear about the forums I trawl)

This does help me at times, but when the pain is at it's worst, I can't get my head around it.

Anyhoo, that's my story as of today!

Mindi

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
Hey Mindi- You were back in my stomping grounds on Tuesday!!!  Thanks for the update.  I was wondering how you are doing.  Hopefully the injection will help your pain out.  Dr. Gross really seems to be anti-PT.  Did you request PT and he denied it?  Keep your chin up, I think you have been given some good advice to stay positive.....this too shall pass!  Also, I have been wanting to get a massage as well.  It is good to know that three months is the mark!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:23:41 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
I was not aware of massage restrictions.  I had a massage at 3 weeks, how does this cause risk to the hip?

Tennisgirl, how are your headaches?  I hope they are getting better and the shot helps.  I get pain in my groin too when I'm for active, it really hurts.  Wishing you the best.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

tennisgirl

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
Still have headaches, and I think I waited too long to take some pain meds today and pretty much lost it.  I am going to see my PCP in the morning...I can't take the pain any more and am desperate for relief.  Hydrocodone barely knocks it back.

I think the massage restriction was limited to the incision site, not the rest of your body. 

Will update tomorrow.  Pain sucks.

Luanna

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
Mindi,
Where is your bursitis? Where did they give you the shot?

So sorry to hear that this is not resolving quickly. Hope your PCP can help.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

tennisgirl

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »
The bursitis was on the outside of my operated leg,  before the incision.  The area is still sore at the injection site, but I think the shot is helping in that area.  We are waiting to call and get an appointment with my PCP.  Have to wait til 8:00 a.m. to call.

mountaingoat

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »
Hi Mindi,
 I don't think we've heard from you in a while - how are you doing now? Did your pain start to improve? I hope so.

I just found your post about getting a cortisone shot. I was surprised that Dr. Gross did this so early on because he is so conservative about most post-op recovery matters. But I'm glad because I just emailed his office to see if it would be ok to get a cortisone shot in my knee. My hips generally feel good but my knee/IT band is horrendous. It is literally painful whenever I walk. Icing, NSAIDs, etc have done nothing.

Anyways, I hope you are doing better these days. Please post an update soon.

Amy

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
Mindi,

So sorry about your pain.  I found that I'm experiencing a bit more pain now that I've begun the phase II exercises and have been more active in general (X-bike, elliptical, walking longer).  Nothing like what you've had to endure, though.

I have been considering going to PT as well, since I'm not getting much ROM improvement.  I think that might really be the way to go.  Is it necessary to get a script to go to a PT?  I don't have a PCP....my policy is a non-gatekeeper one.  I think I can just go to a PT if I want to.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Luanna

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
Hi Mindi,
How are you? Any relief yet? Hope things are improving for you.

Please post and let us know how you are getting on.

Luanna

lyn

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
 Hi Mindi,
 I hope you are feeling better soon. I was wondering if you have played tennis since your surgery. I used to play in a usta league and have had to stop playing for now. I'm scheduled to see Dr. Gross in May. I'm sorry you are going through this issue. Take Care, Lynn

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
Mindi,

I hope you are doing better.  Please let us know if you're improving.

Lynn....Dr. Gross' restrictions are basically no impact for six months, and no "extreme" impact sports for a year.  I may start jogging at six months, but I'm holding off on tennis for a year.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat