+-

Poll

What is the size of your incision after your hip resurfacing?

4"
49 (12.2%)
6"
73 (18.2%)
8"
122 (30.4%)
10"
68 (17%)
11"
20 (5%)
12"
33 (8.2%)
5"
9 (2.2%)
7"
18 (4.5%)
9"
9 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 399

Author Topic: Poll - Size of Your Incision After Surgery  (Read 68532 times)

jcalvert

Re: Poll - your incision size after surgery
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
HI Pat,

Mine is 14".  47 y.o. hockey player's butt and thighs.

-John Calvert

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
Re: Poll - your incision size after surgery
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:57 PM »
5 1/2 inches from stem to stern.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

landaq007

Re: Poll - Size of Your Incision After Surgery
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
I am 14 days post-op and just measured them each at 4".   The method Dr. Gross uses does not have any staples or stitches to be removed which is nice.  Now I have 4" parentheses (   ).   
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

karenj_m

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:18 AM »
Hi Landaq007 ...wow you are a bilateral!

Awesome.....it takes a special kind of person to be able to do both hips at the same time  ;)

As for scar...I should have had a 4 inch, but because I have a scar starting at the top of the leg (starting on the side) all the way down about a couple of inches before hitting the knee area (from previous 3 surgeries), Dr. Gross didn't want to give me a new scar that was offset from the old one. So he continued the cut from the top of my scar and then curved it like normal near the tushie area. So I probably have all of you beat  ;)    ;)

(And while he was at it, he revised my old scar to make it thinner and cleaner....he said he only offers that to the ladies) ;)

Karen
Karen
Karen
RH Biomet 56/50 uncemented / Dr. Gross (SC) 04/02/08

landaq007

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Hi Landaq007 ...wow you are a bilateral!

Awesome.....it takes a special kind of person to be able to do both hips at the same time  ;)

As for scar...I should have had a 4 inch, but because I have a scar starting at the top of the leg (starting on the side) all the way down about a couple of inches before hitting the knee area (from previous 3 surgeries), Dr. Gross didn't want to give me a new scar that was offset from the old one. So he continued the cut from the top of my scar and then curved it like normal near the tushie area. So I probably have all of you beat  ;)    ;)

(And while he was at it, he revised my old scar to make it thinner and cleaner....he said he only offers that to the ladies) ;)

Karen
Karen

Thanks Karen!  I feel like I am special - specially crazy sometimes, however I was thinking the bilateral was going to be a lot more difficult than it has proven to be.  I was preparing myself for a lot longer recovery and have been very surprised with the fast recovery.

.. .. And the scars (27 days post op) are about fully healed for the most part - most of the scabs are gone and the scars are pretty thin now that the puffiness about gone.  I have put on Neosporin after each shower and I think that has helped them heal up smoothly.   
Bilateral - Dr. Gross
2/2/09 (R)
2/4/09 (L)
Biomet ReCap/Magnum Uncemented

uberalan

• We can rebuild him, make him better than before.
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »
Mine is 4" with Dr. Gross's minimum invasive surgery technique.
Alan/Denver, CO
Dr. Gross, Biomet Magnum/Recap, Uncemented
RHR (3/16/2009) & LHR (3/19/2009)

rickt

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 07:49:12 PM »
 ;D Hi rick here 6days post op feeling good  i am 5f 9 in 325lbs had a resurfacing and my incision is 9in still trying to master exercice and my walker but feeling great    thanks rick

BrianO

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 02:23:13 AM »
Just a little over 7 inches, 2 months post op tomorrow and feeling great ! :)

tedroberts

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 02:46:22 AM »
One is 6" and one is 7".  Ted Roberts Bi-Lat  Dr. Nelson
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

ReneeP

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 01:20:11 AM »
My incision is about 5 inches.  I voted 4 inches because there was no 5" option.
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
Hi

I added 5" and you can change your vote.   ;D

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ReneeP

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »
Thanks, Pat! :D
Renee

Right BHR 11/8/10
revised to THR 12/13/10
Dr. John Keggi

Krunch

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2011, 04:31:04 PM »
6", glued and looking good.
"Whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger"
                         Nietzsche
          The philosopher, not the linebacker.

LBHR - 4/1/11 - Dr. Rector

habs

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
Hello all...

My incision is just over 7 inches.  I have the Adept device by Finsbury installed by Dr. John Antoniou in Montreal, Canada on March 11, 2011.
Glenn - LHR 11/03/11 - Adept - Doctor John Antoniou, Montreal, Canada

jalanjalankt

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
The scar probably does not matter much if the result is good.  I wonder if there is a difference with the type of procedure.

Do you have a poll that distinguishes if it is a trochanteric flip, a posterior, or anterior approach in surgery?

I had trochanteric flip (also extended recovery time) and I have a 10 inch scar.  I thought it was 13 so i incorrectly entered 12 on your other survey.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
Hi

No there is not a category for which type of surgery you had.  There are only a few folks having the trochanteric flip, so I would not have a category for that. 

I have been reading and learning about hip resurfacing since 2005.  I had my BHR in 2006 and can hardly ever remember people having this type of surgical approach.  As I have been told, it is a rather old fashioned approach which very, very few surgeons using it.  I am glad it worked well for you, but I don't want the new people to think it is something new.  Almost all hip resurfacing surgery is done with the posterior approach.  I know a handful of surgeons that are doing resurfacing with the anterior approach like Dr. Matta in CA and Dr. Kreutzer in TX.  I have met them and listened to their presentations at the lastest hip resurfacing course in Baltimore in August.  Some use a special table while others don't.  There is always a lot of discussion between the few that use it and the majority that use the posterior approach.  The discussion always ends up that each surgeon should use the approach that they are most comfortable with Several surgeons gave presentations that they did start to use the anterior approach and it took them a long time to learn to do it.  They told how they sweated and how diffiuclt it was to learn, but once they had learned, they prefered it.  So some surgeons use the anterior approach, but they are in the minority. The majority still use the posterior approach since it gives excellent results and has an excellent retention rate.

Pat
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:35:43 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Luanna

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
8 inches. Very dramatic. It's healing nicely and I suppose if I were still dancing on table tops for a living I'd have it made more gorgeous by plastic surgery...but alas my current days are spent researching,writing, and working at a desk.  ;D

I do wonder what people who are models etc. do when they acquire scars like these?
Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
My scar/incision was 5 inches.  Don't really worry too much about it, heck, even I don't want to see my fanny anymore!! 
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

BrianROC

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
My right hip is 4" and my left is 5".  I vote 4" since I can't vote twice.

Anniee

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
Both of mine are 4".
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Re: Two weeks out and never felt better by catfriend
Today at 03:13:55 AM

Re: Hip flexor problem by greg62
Yesterday at 02:01:46 PM

Re: Two weeks out and never felt better by rday12
Yesterday at 12:46:52 PM

Re: Hip flexor problem by rday12
Yesterday at 12:39:22 PM

Advertisements

HONcode

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

HTML ezBlock

View My Stats