+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Weeks Post Op  (Read 1614 times)

mslendzion

6 Weeks Post Op
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
I was feeling pretty good. Went back to work last week and continued with PT. Started to feel I did not need the cane and used it sparingly. Thursday started to get some swelling in the leg and there is soreness in and around the hip. Incision is real sore. Feeling like I took a step back. Tried to rest yesterday but still sore today. Should I go forwards and get on the treadmill today (I want to continue to rebuild) or should I try to rest again?  Is this normal?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Neild5

Re: 6 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:34 AM »
Set backs are normal, rest is important as is lots of ice.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
I agree with neil set backs are pretty normal I'm still getting them at 15 weeks. Just do extra resting eat well and ice like a mad person
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

tgrfan2

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »
Eight  weeks for me. Still some swelling and soreness too. Dr said at 6 week checkup that I still had to build back muscle and "padding" around hip. Riding and walking on hard surfaces still irritate the hip but it is getting better. I just try to remember the pre op pain and that makes me feel great!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
I was feeling pretty good. Went back to work last week and continued with PT. Started to feel I did not need the cane and used it sparingly. Thursday started to get some swelling in the leg and there is soreness in and around the hip. Incision is real sore. Feeling like I took a step back. Tried to rest yesterday but still sore today. Should I go forwards and get on the treadmill today (I want to continue to rebuild) or should I try to rest again?  Is this normal?

I think we take steps back all the time during the recuperation, usually when we try to change the status quo. Going off the cane now stresses the muscles that have been supported by the cane. I'd call it normal. I certainly had soreness when I went off any support.

You're still early at 6 weeks, and I know it's annoying, but you've got to be patient. At six weeks, I was still on a spin bike (a little bit of resistance, but not much). I didn't get on a treadmill until about 12 weeks, and that for walking. I did that and an elliptical for a while.

The treadmill might not be the best thing where you are, since you need enough balance to stay on it correctly. Maybe one with side supports, so you can support yourself while you walk on it. My advice would be to check with your surgeon and your PT for when you can go on it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:26:38 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM