+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stiffness/Soreness & Clunking 3 1/2 months post op.  (Read 3264 times)

dcdc68

Stiffness/Soreness & Clunking 3 1/2 months post op.
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »
Hi All,

This site has been very informative to me and I greatly benefit from it.  Lots of HR wisdom here.  Thanks everyone!  I need some expert opinions on a couple of things.  I'm about 3 1/2 months post op from HR which was done by Dr. Brooks.  With certain movements I get this weird clunking feeling.  Ex.  Sometimes I like to bounce my leg while sitting at my desk.  A habit I guess.  When I do this with my operative leg I feel a clunking in my hip with each bounce.  No pain just a clunking type feeling.  Also, after sitting a while, then getting up to walk my first few strides I feel sore and stiff to the point that I limp.  Once I get past the first few the soreness and stiffness disappear and my gait improves.  Are these things I need to be concerned about?  Should I stop bouncing my leg because of the clunking feeling?  I appreciate the feeback.

Regards,
dcdc68

obxpelican

Re: Stiffness/Soreness & Clunking 3 1/2 months post op.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
I am no doctor, but, generally, clunking if it's not associated with stabbing/shooting pain usually will quiet down and the feeling goes away within a few weeks/months.

The stiffness/soreness is called startup stiffness, that can last up to a year or more but after that your hip will feel totally normal.

Again, the best info can be found from your doctor.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:14:21 PM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:12:10 PM »
I'm around the same stage as your self in recovery. I too often get the same symptoms as you. I believe it's perfectly normal as let's not forget that not very long ago we had a minor surgery!
I also am starting to have some what I think are  proprioceptive issues thats where my brain and body are trying to figure out where my joint is. All perfectly normal from what other patients have told me.
And welcome to the forum.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
I think you can bounce away. I still have a little clunking in the early morning, stiffness like that is normal, so at 3 1/2 months is fine.

You need to get those smaller muscles stronger, that happens with time and with exercise. Balance boards, slide boards, juggling, keeping up with PT exercises help, but I think clunking takes a while to completely go away.

If you're worried at all, call your surgeon and they'll help out. They certainly talked me down from a few ledges.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »
Absolutely normal feelings.  Even at over six months I occasionally get the "clunking" sensation.  This seems to lessen over time.  The bouncing is no problem at all and may in fact help.

I definitely get the start up stiffness in the hip.  It seems worse in some positions than others.  For example I have my seats set in the car so I have very little stiffness after driving for several hours.  On the other hand the same amount of time in my office chair results in more stiffness.  So I think the angle has something to do with this as well.

It should all get better and easier with time.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lynne123

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
I'm four weeks two days post-op and I have the clunking and a smaller popping when weight shifting from side to side.
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:12:25 AM »
I'm a Brooks patient also, and had very minimal clunking, and only very early on.  Based on things many say here, is normal, muscles or tendons going around/over the prosthesis.  Are you still doing your post op exercises, and have you done them 3x per day since the surgery?  Curious as I have been doing them faithfully, wondering if that may explain the difference.

Best regards on your healing,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

dcdc68

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Nope.  I haven't done them since I've been back at the YMCA doing my old workout regime minus certain leg exercises.   My own workouts consist of 30mins EFX three to four days a week including some weight lifting.  The only thing I do with legs are leg curls, extensions, seated calf raises.  Also, I do use the abductor machines with very light weight.  But, I only do legs once per week.  This brings up a excellent queston.  Do I need to continue doing those even though I'm doing my own workout?

hipnhop

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »
My clunking lasted for 6-7 months. They said it was the tendons popping over something. it went away. No sign of it on the second hip.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
I think it would help, especially if you're doing gym exercises that isolate muscles. Leg curls, etc. are great for the big muscles, but are not helping the stabilizers, except in a marginal way.

I took the PT exercises and added weights (side leg raises with 2, 3, 5 lb weights), continued with the pilates type exercises for the core. Maybe a pilates class would help out, or yoga when you're there. I actually hired a personal trainer for a month after PT was done, to work with me on integrating the core exercises into my main routine. I told her what I wanted to do (power, flexibility and strengthening the core), and we made a workout regime that I try to stick to. So far, I've done about 8 months of it, and it has helped the hips get strong.

I also have some things at home that, with minor investment, help:

• The roller for loosening muscles. works wonders for IT issues
  • Some juggling balls (actually leather bags), for muscle memory / shifting hips.
  • Balance on a pillow.
  • A slide board for doing skating movements (really good for the side to side movement).

I'm planning on getting a wobble board after Danny mentioned it to use that for balance issues. I'm planning on returning to soccer in about six months, so I need support for fast cutting.

One goofy thing I'm doing is shaving while balancing on one leg. Sure keeps your attention.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Also had mine done by Dr. Brooks.  I am 3-1/2 years out and doing well.  Those symptoms sound very common and something that I experienced at 4 months.  I still get clicking (not as bad as clunking) every once in awhile depending on the activity.  I notice a big improvement at 6 months, 1 year and even at 1-1/2 years. 

Good luck,
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »
Great thread.  I was about to post asking about post-office-chair sitting stiffness.  I was wondering if I should be that stiff after sitting for 45 minutes, but is sounds like that's to be expected for a while.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Dcd,

Not sure if you're also supposed to do the prescribed exercises in addition to your workout, would suspect probably, as I think they are designed mostly around ROM of specific muscles and certain motions.  I was told to continue all the standing exercises for 1 year post-op, 3x per day.  Suppose if you could replicate the motions in your normal workout, maybe that may free you up from one of the daily sets? 

I recall the minimal clunking I did have, went away after a couple weeks of the 3x day standing exercises.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat