+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do I need raised toilet seat?  (Read 2806 times)

dg2112

Do I need raised toilet seat?
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
Wednesday Feb 29th is my resurface sugery with Dr. Gross.

Should I get a raised toilet seat?

I am 45 and in good shape. Just done know what to expect.

Thanks

hernanu

Re: Do I need raised toilet seat?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
I think it depends on different things. I didn't need one, but I had an anterior lateral approach, and I believe Dr. Gross uses a posterior. Probably other Gross hippys can give you a better idea, but don't see where it would hurt.

I only had issues for the first week or so. I used the counter which was right next to the toilet, and the wall / crutch for support; afterwards I was fine on the toilet. I don't think you'll use it long, but when you need it, it may be valuable.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lynne123

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
I highly recommend you get the seat, particularly if you are tall.  I almost didn't get one and boy am I glad I did.  For me, the getting up from a low chair or couch and getting in and out of bed were the hardest.  Walking was actually easier.  I'm four weeks post op and just put mine away but I have a counter next to my toilet seat that I can use to push myself up.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
Agree with Jennifer. I hired one as I'm tall. Certainly made things easier in the first 2-3 weeks. Get one with the raised handle bars.
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
I got one and used but HATED it.  I had enough trouble without an uncomfortable seat to make it worse.  I have relatively short legs for 5' - 9".  I think I would have been better off without one. 

Check the height of your toilet at home and work.  If you have a strong upper body, support you can use around the toilet, and won't break the 90 degree rule (if you will have it) you may not need it.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
I tried it out without one in the hospital with my PT and found that I didn't need one.  They had everything to practice with, regular toilet, bath tub, car door, kitchen.  I also had an anterior approach so had no restrictions, but I think if you have a strong upper body with something for support next to the toilet, you should have a shot at it.  Find out if you can practice in the hospital.

I wanted to avoid that "bombs away" feeling.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

dg2112

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
thanks for the advice.

I have a counter I can grab, but will get one just in case.

Getting nervous with second thoughts. However, I know I would be mad at myself if I didn't go through with this.

My hip pain isn't raging. However, I have become a homebody at age 45.

I played a few holes of golf last month (dad lives next to a golf course) and I felt pretty miserable. Bearable but uncomfortable. Golf is not suppose to be uncomfortable.

I am to the point where I don't know where my right hip pain ends and my left hip/left knee pain begins. My lower back starts to feel lousy when my hip hurts. I fully expect to notice my left knee and hip more. However, I will be really bummed if my back is screwed up.

This site is great and I plan to give back with a description of my experience.

My right hip is only step one.

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
I recommend the one with handles. It was helpful.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »
We all are different sizes, different recoveries etc, I loved the raised seat we got in Columbia post-op, you'll get offered one to buy there along with some handy tools like a grabber and sock puller.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

MattBrunner

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
First Comfort Height Seat is the way to go even if you don't have a BHR... :)

I think the most important thing post OP was having room in the toilet area to not bread the 90% rule.  I was good at using a crutch the first week and cane after that to lower myself to the toilet.  Oh keep the TP close at hand too..lol

Matt

hipnhop

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
Yes and a lot of toilet paper.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

gnoble1960

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
We have 2 floors, so I got one(big donut) before leaving for surgery and bought theirs at the hospital in Columbia.  I'm a very long legged woman and in really great shape, but I was extremely glad to have them.  Liked the one from the hospital better--raised arms, adjustable height. I'm 7 weeks post op, hiking 4 1/2 miles per day and have begun swimming/biking at the gym, but it's still nice to have in the morning when everything has stiffened up overnight.  They are going to take your hip apart and put spare parts in there:) Pamper yourself!!
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
I really felt like I needed it.  Sitting down on the toilet and getting back up are not easy in the first 2-3 weeks, plus it generally puts you close to ninety degrees.  That isn't breaking the rules, but I found it uncomfortable for the first 4 weeks to get close to ninety degrees, plus you feel pretty darned nervous at first when your leg goes the way it isn't supposed to go.  Don't get me wrong, I hated the thing, and was HAPPY to retire it at 4.5 weeks, but glad I had it.

Oh, and your nervousness is totally normal.  I think I started five threads when deciding whether or not to move forward. I ran 4 miles the Monday before my Wednesday surgery, as my hip was behaving.  However, my fitness life had dramatically slowed, and I was only exercising sporadically.  I knew that I would continue to do less, and become more miserable, if I didn't get it done.  I could be largely pain free if I was sedentary, but unhappy.  So, I'm on the way back.  I think you have to decide how important it is for you to remain active (and pain free).  If that's something important to you, then go for it.  The pain of recovery (for me at least), is very fleeting.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

mslendzion

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
My incision is in the front so the raised seat helped a lot the first few weeks not having to bend it so much.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal