+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sharp Pain  (Read 2730 times)

zeke

Sharp Pain
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
hello,

I had my RT hip resurfaced 1/23/12 the recovery has been great. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I was born with a dislocated hip no one knew until I started to walk 13 months later. I was in a spider cast for 2 years to set what hip bones I had.

I have been doing my at home PT twice a day, along with working out my upper body everyday since I got home from the hospital. I'm finally done with the in home PT, the therapist said I'm read to start my outside therapy this coming Thursday 2/23, the first visit in an evaluation I'm sure I will be fine. I used my walker for 2 weeks, then moved to a cane for about 2 weeks, I'm now walking on my own it's been about 5 days with a very slight limp. I do keep the cane handy. I have 14 steps in my home I can now walk up and down them regular way going down is easier then going up I struggle a bit when I have to put the weight on my right leg/hip, I also have really bad knees. At night since my surgery I've had some groin pain and I also get a pain the goes down my leg from my groin to my thigh...I was told not to worry this could happen and it does not hurt all the time. I try not to go to bed until 12a since it only does that in bed this way I'm only in my bed until 6a. I'm not working now but I like to get up early...I also have hip precautions for 3 months no bending at 90, no crossing my ankles or legs and no twisting... they are hard to follow but I do m best.

The last two days I've been having groin pain during the day, and little sharp pains near my scar. What could this be? The pains come whether I'm sitting our standing and on the pain scale I would say about a 2-3. I did not do any PT yesterday, and only did my AM/PT today....I'm thinking the scar is just healing and its causing some pain could this be it?  :o

thanks,
Zeke

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: Sharp Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
I think you're right Zeke, but it should slowly resolve.  I had similar pricking pains at times around the scar and think it was just tissue pulling with the increased mobility.  Gone completely now at 5 months (can't remember how long).

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Hi Zeke, it all sounds very normal. You're going to have a lot of strange twinges, both in your joints (knees, hips) and in the incision. The incision especially will be itchy, you'll get some sharpness there, probably scar tissue, etc.  If you're concerned at all get on the horn to your doctor and harass them mercilessly. You are the customer and always right.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

zeke

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:01 AM »
thank you both for replying, I feel better knowing someone else felt the same way  ;D

It's just that recovery has gone pretty so smooth, every time I feel something different I get freaked out!... :o
I was thinking it could be from trying to walk up the stairs the regular way, the way up is more painful on my hip, and I could be getting sore from that. New muscle groups! I should know that from working out right?

thanks again,
Zeke

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
Not just new muscle groups, but old ones that are working right for the first time in a while. They have to adjust, since you're walking normally now. Some may have been unused for a while and may have atrophied.

The long and short of it is that you're demanding that your body behave in a way it hasn't in a while, and for it not to behave the way it has. It's not your body, it's you  ;D .

zeke

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
You are so correct, every time I do something new it's like I'm doing it all different now that my hip is fixed.
When I seen the x-ray a couple of weeks back my hips looked totally different and I have never seen that before, they both were a lined with each other....

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
Zeke, I still get them every now and then and I am 12 months out on my first.  It's a reminder bell to take it easy. If not I wouldn't know I have a HR.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

WTW15

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
My PT did some good massage on my scar this week and it loosened up all those "sticky" parts and helped my big muscles to stretch too.  At 6wks, my groin is still tight and sore, I get a pulling sensation down the outer leg and behind my knee gets tight.  i am guessing based on what everyone else says that it's just part of the healing and re-learning for these poor abused muscles.  I was even able to lay on the op'd side for about 15 min last night.  yeah!
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

zeke

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
MY therapist had me lay on the OP side a couple of days ago and my hip has not felt the same since. I've been in some pain and last night was the first time I have taken my pain med's in two weeks...I'm so disappointed I pray nothing is wrong. I can still move around but, I'm now feeling tightness in the muscle for the last couple of days, that I would only feel when I would workout (walking exercises) or do my PT. Monday I will be going into my 6th wk of recovery and it seemed everything was going really well for me.

Zeke

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
We all get setbacks, zeke - mine usually took about a week to clear up. They are both disappointing and painful, but should not be something more serious. Tightness means your muscles were not ready (yet) for doing what you did and they are taking it out on you.

I think it's still going well, it's just normal to have a setback or two along the way. I encourage praying, but what really can clear your mind is talking to your surgeon. Tell them how you feel, what happened and whether that can cause problems. I think they'll reassure you.

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »
MY therapist had me lay on the OP side a couple of days ago and my hip has not felt the same since. I've been in some pain and last night was the first time I have taken my pain med's in two weeks...I'm so disappointed I pray nothing is wrong. I can still move around but, I'm now feeling tightness in the muscle for the last couple of days, that I would only feel when I would workout (walking exercises) or do my PT. Monday I will be going into my 6th wk of recovery and it seemed everything was going really well for me.

Zeke

I week or so ago I layed on my operated side for a hour or so and my leg was really sore for a few days after.  I've layed on the operated leg before without any issues.  Weird and unexplained things can trigger increases in pain and soreness.  I hurt myself getting in car the other day and was sore for a few days.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

zeke

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
By Friday evening I was feeling better...I'm thinking you are correct anything can trigger the pain right now.

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
Excellent, zeke - normal to have setbacks... like once of my linebacker coaches told me once - if you're not going offside, you're not doing anything positive - just don't do it too much.

zeke

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »
Its really weird because I can just be sitting here on the computer and all of sudden I get a pain in my hip its crazy and very random that for sure.
I'm trying not to do to much, but is really hard for me like I said before I love to workout and to be moving around.
I'm really trying to listen to you....LOL   ;D

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
I am a few weeks before you, but I find the random ache shows up - for me most often when sitting here at the computer in my office chair for too long.  Totally normal (from what I've been reassured).

I have also found that I am getting more weird hip aches not that I have been cleared for more exercise - like exercise biking, elliptical machine, squats (body weight only).  The only thing that concerns me is that occasionally the random pain feels VERY similar to the old OA pain.  I know it's not, but that type of pain bothers me the most.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM