+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Upstairs bedroom post op  (Read 987 times)

Jbennett

Upstairs bedroom post op
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
My master is upstairs. 110 year old house with a beautiful staircase but it's ornate and makes a couple of turns before the second floor landing. Am I going to be able to maneuver this thing on crutches the first few days or shouid I plan on moving a spare twin bed down to the den before I leave for the surgery?
Right Biomet Uncemented Dr. Gross 3/14/12

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Upstairs bedroom post op
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
I also had an upstairs bedroom.  We prepared a fold out bed in the den anticipating problems with the stairs.  After only one night in the hospital I had no problem going up the stairs.

If you have a strong upper body, good balance, full weight bearing allowed, and a good railing it is no problem.  Just remember to lead with your good leg both ascending and descending.  And practice ahead of time if you have crutches.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »
usually, going up and down stairs is a requirement before leaving the hopsital. as dan said, if you have a railing, you should be fine. my bed was upstairs and getting there was no problem.

i was surprised how easy going up and down stairs was. and ... i was taught ... lead with you good leg going UP and your bad (operated) leg coming DOWN.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

gnoble1960

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:19 AM »
I just set up a "day" spot on the main floor and went upstairs at night.  That way you don't need to use the stairs often.  The first couple of days, it might be a good idea to have someone on the "down side" of you as you go up or down, especially if you are on pain meds still.  It's not tough to do the stairs; it just wouldn't be a great thing to fall. They should teach you to put both crutches under one arm(or have someone carry the one), so that you can use the railing.  It doesn't move!
Dr. Gross, 1/4/12

mslendzion

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
I had my bedroom upstairs and it was not a problem getting up (or down) to bed.  You will need crutches or other assistance and go one step at a time.  The PT you get at the hospital should prepare you to get up and down the stairs prior to being discharged.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »
@Maxx- Now that you say it I think you are right.  Operated leg first going down and non-op side first going up.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
Up with the good. Down with the bad.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear