+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will it ever end?  (Read 3186 times)

Fiona Louise

Will it ever end?
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
Hi my name is Fiona I am 41 now but my story has been a long one.
On my 33rd birthday back in September 2003 I took my self to A&E after 8 years of pain in my groin right around to my back. I'd had numerous GP appointments and phsyio for back problems but nothing seemed to help and I couldn't take any more.
I was x-rayed that day and spoke to an orthopaedic consultant who told me that I had arthritis in my hip and because of my age there was nothing they could do for me, I was given a walking stick and sent home on a diet of strong pain killers. I had to give up my part time job. I had 2 children aged  8 and 5 but did have a supportive husband.

3 months later I received a letter to say that Mr Norton was interested in my case after talking with  my local consultant but it meant travelling 4 hrs to Cornwall. This didn’t matter I was happy to see some one who may be able to help.
I was diagnosed  with right anterior hip impingement with acetabular cyst and probable labral tear and offered hip preservation surgery. I felt so lucky and in August 2004 went ahead with the operation in St Michael’s hospital, Hayle. My family came with me and stayed close by as I was miles from home in Yeovil. The operation went well and though the trip home was stressful I had everything in place to ease my recovery. Within the first 8 weeks I was getting around  well on my crutches and off of pain killers. It was a result and I was so happy and thank full to Mr Norton. I started a new job in June 2005 and life seemed to be good.

It was the following summer 2006 when I noticed gradually the pain increasing again in my hip, I would find myself rubbing my hip as it ached and the need for pain relief at the end of  a day. My yearly check up in Cornwall was approaching so I knew I would mention this to my consultant.
I was told the x-ray showed evidence of subluxation of the hip and loss of joint space and that progression of arthritic changes meant I would benefit from a resurfacing of the hip bone urgently.

St Michael’s hospital  February 2007 I went ahead with the metal on metal bearing hip resurfacing with my family in tow and aids in place for my return home. The operation was successful and knowing what to expect from good care and increased exercise I was back on my feet and working by the end of May. Unfortunately whether it was the strain from the events of my past two operations , the lack of income or my low self esteem my marriage broke up and  I was left fighting for my home, bringing up my children and holding down a job but at least my hip was strong and pain free.

During the spring of 2008 after talking with my consultant on  my yearly check up. It was decided that I should transfer back to my consultant in Yeovil for the removal of the 3 screws in my operated leg which were causing me some discomfort when I tried to lie on that side at night. This was done  easy enough in day surgery , only taking 2 weeks off of work and my mum to support me when needed.
2009 should have been a year of going forward but no. In June I found my self made redundant at work, I was panicking! Some thing in my left hip wasn’t right and I had no job. Who was going to employ someone with arthritis in one hip and a false hip for the other. Even if I needed surgery  on my other hip these things take a long time and I had to work.

I found a job by August 2009 and visited my local consultant,  he was willing to examine my hip and during the year  I attended  X-rays  and  MRI scans involving the need  for injection into my joint under local anaesthetic, it was concluded that I needed  resurfacing of the left hip due to early on set of arthritis and deterioration of the cartilage and that this would be done at Yeovil with a ceramic joint as they no longer advised  the use of metal on metal implants, so I agreed and waited for my date for surgery.

December 2010, one week before Christmas  my  4th operation took place, it was successful but I felt low and tired  and lacking the enthusiasm to pick myself up and fight for fitness. I’m a mother , we do find  the will to keep going and with my mothers selflessness and my children’s need of me I did it, I got back into full fitness , back to work, back to exercise , back to healthy diet and  by the summer of 2011 I entered the charity event and walked the race for life with my mum and my daughter. Life was good  even with two false hips.

Its now 2012 and for the last three or four months I have been experiencing  an aching pain down my right hip that makes me feel sick, stabbing pain that catches me off guard, a stiffness in my hip joint and I’m reaching for the pain killers after work. I’ve been to see my consultant and am awaiting the results of an ultrasound and  blood tests to see what the cobalt levels in my blood are. It’s been five years since my MOM implant and yes I’ve heard and read all the scary stories and I’m no stranger to this pain. I just want this  rollercoaster ride to stop and  be someone else other than Fiona with the hip problems. I am thankful to my consultants that have listened and  acted  for my best possible well being. What ever the out come of the tests I believe a revision is probable but I will keep going until 2013 is a good year.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Will it ever end?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
Fiona im so sorry to hear about your traumatic problems. I know how hard it can be to get a timely answer to any health problems using our NHS. Which resurfacing device did you have installed? Welcome to the group this is a fantastic group for support and info.
All the best Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi Fiona, very sorry for your travails. I hope for the best for you, no matter what the outcome. Please keep in touch and let us know the results.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Fiona Louise

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
 :) Thankyou for replying. I've been on my own through all of this for so many years. having to put on a brave face for my children. The best way for me to get through was just to do exactly as I was told. I'm not the sort to ask many questions and didn't have anyone to compare notes.
I do know that the main metal on metal implant that was used by the Royal Cornwall Hospital was the Cormet from UK manufacturer Corrin their policy now is to write to all MOM patients and ask them to contact their consultants if they are having any adverse problems. I have transfered back to my local hospital and not heard from Cornwall. I am just very disappointed that this hip is failing so soon. Each operation was met with excitment for a pain free life but it each time has been a bigger mountain to climb emotionally, you just think your getting to the top and then fall back to the bottom again. This time I do want to ask more questions and receive more answers and am so glad to have found this site.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
Fiona,
        I'm sure someone else will say this as well but get several opinions. I struggled initially getting to see a decent surgeon and saw one who claimed to be world class but yet didn't know anything about resurfacing and by his own admission had many failures. I personally would suggest getting an opinion from my surgeon Ronan Treacy. I know birmingham is a bit of a treck for you but this is your health and you deserve the best! He's available both privately and on the NHS. I initially paid to see him privately and then got him to operate on the NHS. He is a true pro and has done many many revisions from misplaced HR's etc
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

lynne123

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »
Fiona,

Boy does my heart go out to you.  I raised three children on my own, the youngest being severely retarded, cleaning homes for a living during the day and for a few years offices at night as well.  It did my body in but it was the best money I could make and the only work I could do inbetween running to the hospital all the time with my son - I couldn't hold a regular job. 
It feels like a cruel joke when you take your responsibility as a parent so seriously and ask for little from life in return and the reward (lack of a better word)  is pain.
Anyway, please take Dannywayoflife's advice and at least have a consultation with Dr. Ronan Treacy.  It will be the best next step you can take for yourself, your children and possibly future grandchildren.

Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
Hi Fiona

I am sorry to hear about your surgeries and hip problems.  I might try to get some more input from several of the top surgeons in the UK.  Mr. McMinn and Mr. Treacy are several to the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the world.  I know people on this group that live in the UK were able to see them when they went thru channels to do so.  I am not sure what that is, but I know you can see other surgeons.  Having some input from the very best surgeons will help give you more information if you are having high metal ions from the MOM implant. 

Please keep us updated when you can.  The people here are very supportive and a handful have gone thru bad revisions.  It is never easy, but it helps to talk to people that understand what you are going thru. 

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Mr Mcminn no longer works on the NHS only privately. However Mr Treacy does work on the NHS. As does Mr o hara, Mr Latham and others so there is a good selection of top surgeons available on the NHS. I would get an opinion from one of the surgeons I've mentioned fiona Mr Treacy is the most experienced of them all and as rubyred is finding out will do whatever he can to help you.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Two4One

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »
Hi Fiona,

Welcome to a community, a family really, who WILL help you through this.  You are not alone anymore, at least not emotionally. 

I bet some folks have already private messaged (PM'ed) you!  There is Jon, off the top of my head who very recently had successful work done by Dr. Treacy in Birmingham.  I heartily recommend you search "Dr. Treacy" and/or "England", make a list of all the members who've had Dr. Treacy/McMinn as their resurfacing surgeon, and PM them a note asking how to get in the fastest.  You'll get some world class advice and help, I promise.

Suffering for years wears anybody down, even if you were lucky enough to have a few intermissions of feeling good thrown in.  Throw in your divorce and raising your children alone, and suckily, you've been hit repeatedly with a pretty big stick of soul searing bring you down to the ground experiences, so please also consider seeking out a therapist that you feel an instant 'connection' with.  Any other therapist that you feel meh about will be a waste of time (something I learned over 30 years ago :D).  You deserve to have a beautiful someone(s) unreservedly on your side!

What ever the out come of the tests I believe a revision is probable but I will keep going until 2013 is a good year. - Fiona
  You're a fighter, Fiona!  I respect the h-ll out of you!  Please let us know which 'channels' like Pat Walter suggested you go through, and please know we hippies are all pulling for you!

'One
aka
2fer
"I was inspired by the very idea of turning the wildest figments of your imagination into something real and creating a life for yourself." - Ken Ilgunas

12/11 Failed Bilateral BHR by Dr. Schmitt  3/14 Positive Metal – LTT for Nickel Allergy.   11/14 Bilat Ceramic/Titanium Revisions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
Fiona if you lik i would be happy to supply you with Mr Treacys private secitarys number
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
Fiona,

Very sorry to hear of all you have been through, and hope for a quick and lasting solution for you very soon.  I cannot conceive of how difficult these physical issues have been in the context of your life; dealing with them in the best of family situations is difficult enough.

Danny, Hern, 2for1, Pat, Lynne have great advice, if you can get to one of these world-class surgeons in the the UK,  and address the enormous stresses you are under, it would provide the very likely possibility of huge help.  My surgeon trained with them, and has produced incredible results here, in part undoubtedly because of how well they were able to teach this (the sign of a person with true mastery).  The experience of the surgeon and the device have been found to be very important variables in successful outcomes.

Best regards,

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat