+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 and having a hip-resurfacing  (Read 3515 times)

momofAlec

12 and having a hip-resurfacing
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
My son is 12 and scheduled with Dr. Brooks for a hip resurfacing. He isn't able to get us in until April 4th...which seems like an eternity for my kiddo who is in extreme pain and we are 800 miles away from home.  We are from the KC area and are looking at possibly switching to Dr. Clohisy in St. Louis if he can schedule him sooner. Any suggestions or things to do before surgery?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 12 and having a hip-resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear about your son's hip problem.  there have been other teenagers that needed hip resurfacing. Kaibree is one  http://www.surfacehippy.info/kaibree2006.php

Please consider that this is a very, very important surgery for a boy so young.  You don't want to take any chances because he is impatient.  Hip resurfaicng outcomes are very dependent on using the very best and most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  Dr. Brooks is on of the more experineced surgeons in the US.  I would very carefully consider weighing using on of the top surgeons in the US against your son's pain for a few weeks.  Small people don't have as good of outcomes according to the medical studies and national registries.  I assume your son is small.  therefore, it is even more important to only use the very most experienced surgeons for his hip resurfaicng.  The better the placement of the components, the better chance he has of retaining the device the longest.

I have read thousands of stories since 2005 and the most important thing I have learned is that the best outcomes are most likely to come from the very best, top experienced surgeons.  Since your son is so young and has his whole life before him, I personally would want only the best surgeon doing his surgery.  I am not saying the other surgeon is not excellent, but I just know Dr. Brooks has a great track record and that is very important in hip resurfacing in unusual cases such as your son.

I wish him the very best no matter which surgeon he uses.  I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
Wow! I thought I was young when I had mine at 28! I'm so so sorry that your son and family are having to go through this. But please remember that this op when done properly by a pro(like Dr Brookes) with a proven device (like the bhr) then it can and does work miracles!
Please give our love to your son and family and you will be in my prayers.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your troubles, but I'll echo what both Pat and Danny have said. The best thing you can do for your son is to maximize his chances to have a good outcome.

That would be to get an excellent surgeon, and you have one in Dr. Brooks. I know it's hard to wait, but the time goes by and then you'll be in great hands. It's small comfort now, since he's in pain, but if things go well, he'll be in a much better place. Please tell him that we'll be thinking of him, you and your family.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Being a Dr. Brooks patient I would highly recommend waiting. Next week is March already and it will be here before you know it.  I will also pray for you and your son.

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

ronr

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
In January, I was referred to Dr. Barrack in St Louis.  After waiting on out of network approval from my insurance company, I was able to get in to see him on relatively short notice.  I met with him Monday, Feb 20 and have surgery scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 28.    I don't know if this is the norm or if I was just lucky. 

lynne123

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
I just want to chime in here and say that like Pat says, the surgeon is critical to the success of the surgery.  I understand your feeling of urgency for your son.  I am the mother of a severely handicapped adult son that has physical issues and seizures. There is nothing harder than watching your child suffer.  When I picked a surgeon for my sons Vagus Nerve Stimulator implant, I picked one of the best brain surgeons and neurologists on the east coast. We had to wait awhile but I was able to rest assured my son had the best of the best. As a parent you know how badly you will feel if you grew, understandably, impatient and made a poor choice.  Five weeks is not that much longer.  Hold on and before you know it it will be April 4th and your sweet child be in recovery and pain free.  Will be thinking of you and your son and sending all my best your way!!!!
Jennifer
51 years old
LBHR
Dr. Su
44mm cemented femoral head/50mm cup

johnd_emd

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
If you're in Kansas City, Dr. Rector is in Boulder.  That's not too far. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
I agree with the others here.  Brooks and Rector are commonly mentioned, and I've always heard great stuff about them.

As far as prep, it might be a little different than what most of us dealt with, just because of the age.   I would lean heavy on your doctor, their staff, and the hospital staff, get as much info as you can to feel comfortable early on about the process.  I assume that the surgeon and staff would treat this a little different than an adult and I'd think they'd also be more involved.

For recovery, I can suggest lots of video games.  ;) That's what I did for 2 weeks.   

As a father, I would think dealing with something like this is almost harder for the parent than the patient.  It's got to be a pretty intense time, momo.  I feel for you and hope the best for you and your son.     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »
Dan

Thanks for your input and offer to help.

I have to say that I was 100% satisfied at the Cleveland Clinic when I had my open heart surgery for my aortic valve in 2010.  Absolutely, fantastic patient care, too.  Don't short the heart folks.  Just had to put in another plus brag for Cleveland Clinic!

Good Luck.  Stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lori.36

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
So sorry about your sons hip, but happy brooks got him in for April !
Have you seen the pt for pre surgery o. The website?  It calls for a foam roller maybe your son could focus on pre-hah for a month.
Also there is rodgerson in Madison, wi.  I hear amazing things about him.  You will know when you meet the right surgeon for your son.  Postive thoughts for your family.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

bjk123

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear about your son and wonder why he is having this procedure.  I had my first 3 hip sugeries at 12 and then 2 more at 14.  I had a Bi-lateral slipped epithesis (my left side twice because my body rejected the pins the first time) and am now at 38 considering the hip resurfacing for my left hip.  My right hip is still fine.  I have suffered a lifetime of pain and discomfort as well as limitations on my athletic abilities.  Please take the time to really investigate all options.  I know how awful it is, I could hardly walk anymore at 12, but my parents had to make a choice without all the knowledge we have access to today.  The last thing you want is for him to suffer I understand, but if there is something else out there that can help him without limiting him forever, please keep looking and asking questions. 

momofAlec

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »
In March 2010 we had 2 screws put in his right hip and  a preventative screw placed in his left. We were assured as the doctor had never in his 30 years seen one screw not hold that this would be the end and he would be better.  He had a couple of good months after rehab and started noticing left hip pain. They placed 2 additional screws in his left hip in December 2010. Alec did not jump up after this surgery like he had the first and they continued to try and get him up and send him home. I kept saying something was wrong. The surgery took place on a Friday and by Sunday his surgeon finally did a CT and found out the screw was not in the bone but into the cartilage. They removed that screw on Monday. Since the integrity of the bone was compromised they had 6wks wheelchair, 6 wks walker and then slowly back to normal activities. He had a couple of good months over the summer with limited pain. He returned back to school and was running in PE which the doctor had released him for but I had told the school I wasn't comfortable with him doing it yet but Alec had already lost 2 years of sports and was eager to start getting active again. They were doing shuttle runs with sudden stops. Well he stopped and felt a pain that he had never felt before (this was August 25, 2011). The ortho said do a wheelchair for a couple of weeks and see if it was any better. We tried that, he was sitting on the couch scooted back and his left hip shot up to a 10. Went in through the ER stayed in the hospital a week and still no answers. It was presenting as nerve pain but neurology said it wasn't their problem and ortho didn't see anything that would lead them to believe it was theirs either. He had burning like a cattle prod in his hip and down the front of his leg and it felt different all the way down to his foot. (I would rub and the right leg felt like rubbing and the left felt like I was scratching.) Finally after I continued to hound the doctors they did an MRI and in one of the images the screws "looked close to the nerve". So they removed them October 21st. The burning nerve pain went away but he was left at an 8/9 pain level with what felt like a knife into his joint. We went to the Shaker Pain Clinic for kids to bascially figure out how to function with pain. They had him doing bear crawls and jumping...which he did in extreme pain. After our 3rd week I was driving and hit a small pot hole and tears were streaming down his face. We spent 20 days in the ER. We have done PT, we have explored other options but NOTHING has helped. He was on high doses of pain pills and that didn't even touch it. I'm sure at one point they thought it was in his head but they did a procedure and numbed the joint...my child was back, there was a smile on his face I hadn't seen in 3 years..it was as if a weight was off his shoulders and he was down to a 2...he kept saying how amazing it was. That is the kid I want back...not the one that just wants to cut his leg off and not to live anymore. We are staying with Dr. Brooks and there are 33 days until surgery...he is in constant tears and pain and the relief can not come soon enough.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
This is a heart wrenching story. I truely hope that Dr Brooks can solve things for Alec.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
Really feel for you and Alex. So the screw compromised his cartilage. Dr. Brooks will do right by you, I'm pulling for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
That is much more than a 12 year old should have to endure.  He is going to be one tough kid when this is resolved.

My thoughts and prayers with your son, you, and the doctors.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mountaingoat

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about your son's pain. As a new mom, it almost brought tears to my own eyes thinking about a child being in that kind of pain.

My own question for you is what the doctors have said about resurfacing on someone so young given that a 12-year olds skeleton has not matured all the way. I thought that was a contraindication for hip resurfacing? I believe I read somewhere that the hips do not fully develop until somewhere in the teens but perhaps I am wrong? I'm not suggesting you not do the surgery but just wondering what they have said about this issue. It sounds like Dr. Brooks has a lot of experience with HR so he must have a reason for going forward with this.

momofAlec

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »
Alec's growth plates are already shut down in his hips...the screws were placed to help speed that process and to stop further slipping. Dr. Brooks was concerned about size of his hip and did an xray. He said if it wasn't over 42 he couldn't do it...to his surprise Alec's hip measured in at 46..so we are good to go.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and Alex, Brooks will help, he's very, very good.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

bjk123

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
I am so sorry he has had to go through all that and hope that this Dr. can resolve ALL of the issues with pain so that he never has to have another surgery.  Best of  luck to him and you and hope he never has to suffer through any more pain, ever!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat