+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: walking pain  (Read 4185 times)

blkhank

walking pain
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
  I'm 7wks post op.I was 50% weight bearing with a walker for 6wk.I started walking with 1crutch. Went to my first out patient Mon. He gave me exercises the would build my confidence on weight bearing. I have great range of motion. He wants me to walk without the crutch at home for short distances. Long distances when out of the home.

So my question is when I stand no pain. When I step it hurts, feels.like more muscle. When I continue to step I feel every one in the hip almost like I'm walking on someting,but its in the hip.

My question is does anyone else have or had this problem. And if so does it eventually go away. Also when I get tired I have to lift my leg with my hands up to get into bed and in and out if my car,I'm assuming  the muscles are weak. Any opinions Thanks

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: walking pain
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »
Absolutely normal to have muscle pain.   Depending on what shape you were in prior to surgery, what procedure your surgeon used, and your pain tolerance.  I was surprised how weak my hip flexors were at first.  Some pain is okay and to be expected.  The muscles around the hip need to heal and strengthen.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »
Normal, normal, normal.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
Muscle pain is normal, with some Dr's approach, for up to a year.  It'll also vary, ups and downs in the intensity over time, at 4.5 months, I still get it, most often at night.

Not to worry.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

blkhank

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
Thank you, that helps, I did all the pre- op  exercise everyday for a month prior. And was riding my horses 3-4 x week up to surgery. For 6mos. All the Dr. were telling me that it was my back. ( I work in a hospital) I found out that I  needed a hip Dec 1 2011 and had surgery jan 6.

And post op, freaked me out when I couldn't move my leg . My fear has been that I couldn't ride. Summer months I work as a mounted deputy. Thank you every one.

Neild5

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »
I am 4 days post op and had my second out patient PT today.  I wish I had been able to get into out patient PT this quickly the first time around, it took 11 days to get in for the evaluation.  This time I had the appointments all made two weeks prior to surgery. 

How much walking have you been doing?  Any at home exercises?
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

blkhank

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
I've been doing PT since day 2 post op I'm walking around my house with no aids for the last 4days.It is Definetly improving , but I been useing  a lot I mean a lot of icing,no pain meds.

Any walking outside the home I use a single crutch and I try to use it minimally.I need to find out what stretching can
I do.

But I have a bad case of restless legs at nite. But every day I"m getting stronger.

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »
I'm close to 7 weeks post op and no longer using my cane.  I was full weight bearing right after the surgery but still used the walker, crutches, crutch, cane thru my recovery.  When I started loosing the walking aids I had pain in my groin, butt, and inner hip when I walked.  I was worried about almost everything that could have gone wrong but as I continued to walk independantly the pain got less and finally is gone.  I think it is just your muscles rebuilding.  I was pretty worried when I was still feeling the pain while walking but the supportive hippies on this site helped me understand this was normal. 

I noticed when I stopped using the cane for the first day my hip was really sore for a few days.  Again, I think it was the muscles building back up.  Once you do this the pains should go away.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal