+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vehicle selection  (Read 1873 times)

mslendzion

Vehicle selection
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Went looking for a new car today. Test drove a jeep Cherokee.  I struggled getting in the thing. Stretched to much or something but hurt myself getting in the driver seat. I'm 5'1. My hip is still sore now. What's up with that?  Any tips or similar experiences?  I really wanted this SUV but now I'm fearful I will hurt myself getting in.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

FlbrkMike

Re: Vehicle selection
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
You could get one of these:

It automatically deploys when you open the door, and folds back up when you close it.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks, you could go this route:
;) )

Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
Mike, that's both helpful and severely funny. I cringe for the people in your life  ;D

Went looking for a new car today. Test drove a jeep Cherokee.  I struggled getting in the thing. Stretched to much or something but hurt myself getting in the driver seat. I'm 5'1. My hip is still sore now. What's up with that?  Any tips or similar experiences?  I really wanted this SUV but now I'm fearful I will hurt myself getting in.

I work with military vehicles some times, I was confronted with getting into one large vehicle that had a ladder to get into the passengers' side when I was about five months along. I was a little scared, since it was a good large step off the ground (would have definitely broken the 90 degrees restriction if I had one). Not just the stretch, but the push up to get in there.

It did get sore afterwards, the stretch and muscular effort to push up (and get down). It went away and proved to be muscular, I just hadn't done that before. I found a more comfortable way to get up, but now it's just not a problem. I think the muscular tightness is just something we have to overcome.

Mike's suggestion is good (the first one, the second's probably more fun, but what if you miss?), something that will be useful in the future even if you don't use it after a while.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:04:03 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jeremy76761

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »

That trampoline rocks! Thank goodness they're easy to get in Wal-Mart!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
You're only 7 weeks out right ?  You're gonna keep the car for years I assume ?  I wouldn't base your decision on how you feel now, in 3 months you'll be able to jump in and out of any car or truck you want, look a little further down the road....(a hee yuk yuk)  How bummed will you be if you settle for something you don't really want and then see a bitchin cherokee 2 doors down ?  Your days of letting your hip dictate what you do will be gone real soon...
Just my $.02 8)

hipnhop

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »
I have a FORD Expedition - no problem getting in; only filling up  :(
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Aerial

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
I have BMW z4, very surprised to get it in it at 2 1/2 weeks. However, at that point it was a challenge.  By four weeks getting in such a low car was not a problem.  Things will improve quickly with your hip!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

mslendzion

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. If I opt for trampoline I can tie a rope to it and pull it in once in car. The extra room in the jeep will come in handy. :)

mslendzion

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a Cadillac SRX. It is the perfect size for me seat wise as I just turn and sit &/or turn and stand to get in/out.  Love it!

WTW15

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
Awesome - Post a picture - LOVE NEW CARS!!!   :D
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster