+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Basketball ?  (Read 7391 times)

alex3

Basketball ?
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:39 AM »
Anyone play basketball after their BHR ?  If so, how long after ?

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Basketball ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
Alex,

I know I've read several posts about people playing basketball, but I cannot recall who.

My surgeon recommends 1 year before really high-impact sports.  I'll likely wait a year before playing tennis, with all the stop/go movement.  It seems like a long time, but I don't want to jeopardize the success of this surgery in any way.  Other surgeons are less conservative, but I would think that you'd need to wait a minimum of 6 months for basketball.  A year if you're being really careful.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

tmaroo56

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
I had hip resurfacing on 1/20/2009. I have been playing basketball regularly for 3 years now with the resurfaced hip. I am 44 now. I rarely feel pain. I believe that my ability to play pain free is due to the fact that I stretch, properly warm up, lift weights and do exercises to strengthen my core, hamstrings, groin, hip flexors, quads and calves. I don't do squats with weights any more, and I don't do as much weight, but I keep the muscles strong...strong for me, that is.   :)

I play hard, and rarely think about my hip. Below is an older post of mine after my first return to basketball. Good luck!

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------

September 24, 2009

My surgery was in January 2009 and I got on the court for the first time in late August...7 months past surgery. I was very rusty and clumsy, but it had more to do with the layoff than my hip. I stretched well before I played, and I iced and stretched after I played. Everything felt good. I was a little sore afterwards, but I felt nothing in the actual joint. The soreness was in my groin, and my guess the main tendon in the groin was the culprit.

I feel great on the court. I am not a jumper, but I feel faster on my feet. I used to slash to the basket with more reckless abandon. I now have to pick and choose my spots. I am very pleased and I now am playing twice a week. I wear Thudd Compression Shorts, because it has padding for my hip and thighs. I might be a tad bit over-cautious with that, but why not.

I believe that I have made a smooth transition because the doctor here in Seattle did a great job, I worked hard on PT and I continue to work out with weights and the elyptical machine. I also lost weight to put less stress on the joints, keep up on stretching and icing, and I am playing a little smarter in relation to the punishment I want to expose my body to.

I love playing basketball. It was my number one reason for doing the resurfacing. I am 41 and having fun. I will keep updating from time to time.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Very cool to hear from hippies who have been doing their thing. Glad that you're playing your game without any problems, and thanks for the tips.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Twins2013

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
I am the proud bearer of 2 new resurfaced hips!!  I can tell you it has been a new lease on life.  I am 53, officiate and play basketball.  I am 7 months post op from the 2nd surgery.  I officiated my first high school boys varsity game last week.  No pain, I kept up with the speed of play and felt great the next day.  I have a full schedule this season and I have every reason to believe that I will finish it without any problems.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the site!

Sounds like it's going well. Excellent that you're back to it. Who was your surgeon and what device did they use?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat