+-

Author Topic: Big Picture questions  (Read 1246 times)

horse doc

Big Picture questions
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »
I've only been researching HR for a few months so i'm looking into the HR world through a pretty small window.  I'm hoping that the seasoned surfers might shed some big picture or long view perspective.

Here are some impressions so far.  HR was conceived and developed as a significant advancement from THR by motivated surgeons with or without the impetus from the prosthesis industry.  The pioneers were probably the most active docs working in an institutional setting.  In such settings, there is a natural cycle of residents and other trainees that are exposed to the work and carry the skills away with them as they venture into the field.

The prosthesis industry is obviously integral in the institutional R&D of HR but at some point has to distribute the techniques to those docs in private practice.  I'm thinking Short Course type training from company docs or reps?

I'll stop here and ask if I am seeing the surgeon "farm system" correctly.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Big Picture questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the surgeon farm. But I can tell you that when the BHR was launched to the Market all surgeons who wanted to use the system had to be trained by one of I think it was 3 surgeons. 2 of these were Derrick Mcminn and Ronan Treacy. Now they are surgeons of world class stature both with proven track records. So the training given by them will of been extremely good!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Danny, the farm system in the US as horse doc's using it applies to sports, most aptly to baseball. It's the equivalent of the academies that football teams have in Europe and elsewhere to train promising youngsters. In baseball, it is very deep (5 or 6 leagues deep) and youngsters get promoted to the next level when they reach that level of competency.

It is a very important part of the training of a good baseballer, so that (in most cases) a player progresses through four leagues (rookie-> single A -> double A -> tripple A -> Major League Baseball). Imagine if your Football league were comprised of teams owned only by the Premier league teams, with no promotion of teams, only promotion of individuals.

I think doc's question (correct me if wrong, doc) is what is the hierarchy of training for HR doctors?

My impression is that the individual doctors have their overall training done by their institutions, but as far as HR training, they go to a specific surgeon of note (McMinn, et.al.) and train under them individually, so there is no systematic training.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:52:13 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
Ah thanks hern. That makes more sense to me now!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

triathlete98

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
Yeah its a matter of whom teaches whom I believe. My surgeon trained under Dr. Su in New York, main reason I am going with him.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
There are many ways for surgeons to become trained.  Some train with the top resurfacing surgeons.  Some learn at hip resurfacing courses like I attend.  At those courses, the surgeons learn on cadavers.  The top surgeons teach these classes.  Many of the top surgeons attend general hip resurfacing courses like I do and many of the medical manufacturers have their own courses for their specific devices.  They also have top surgeons attend those and teach and do cadaver labs.  After doing cadaver training, the new surgeons often either visit the experienced surgeons or the experienced surgeons visit during surgery to watch and teach them with real patients.  I don't know any medical manufacturer that just turns surgeons loose with their medical devices.  Also remember that there is always a medical device representative in the operating room who can answer questions or call for more information.  There is a lot of back up for the newer surgeons.

There is a lot of opportunity for surgeons to learn and then keep on learning by attending the courses in hip resurfacing. There are very detailed sessions on every topic about surgery and approaches, patient selection, problems, revisions, etc etc etc.

I like to list surgeons that attend these courses and keep learning.  Also they help to pass on their experiences to the new surgeons interested in hip resurfacing.

Pat
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:25:35 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Thats interesting to know Pat thanks
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

horse doc

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Yes I was trying to think of an analogy that would be understood globally but alas settled with the "farm system" phrase, sorry ;D

Another overall impression i have is that the HR footprint in the arthroplasty world is shrinking.  It seems that less docs are offering HR due to various reasons which might reduce the availability of HR to some patients.   Maybe its the case that instead of a "cure in search of a patient", things are progressing towards "patients in search of a cure".? 

thanks for the good info!

moe

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
Danny, the farm system in the US as horse doc's using it applies to sports, most aptly to baseball. It's the equivalent of the academies that football teams have in Europe and elsewhere to train promising youngsters. In baseball, it is very deep (5 or 6 leagues deep) and youngsters get promoted to the next level when they reach that level of competency.

It is a very important part of the training of a good baseballer, so that (in most cases) a player progresses through four leagues (rookie-> single A -> double A -> tripple A -> Major League Baseball). Imagine if your Football league were comprised of teams owned only by the Premier league teams, with no promotion of teams, only promotion of individuals.

I think doc's question (correct me if wrong, doc) is what is the hierarchy of training for HR doctors?

My impression is that the individual doctors have their overall training done by their institutions, but as far as HR training, they go to a specific surgeon of note (McMinn, et.al.) and train under them individually, so there is no systematic training.

Great job Hern, now try explaining the chicken and rally beer concept!  ;)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
I'm punting after that, Moe - I need beer and maybe chicken wings.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats